• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There was an A30. It's a big improvement, of it.
The whole A and D Series is going to upgrade to pro versions. The pro versions will have internal power supply, relatively larger chassis, less compromises overall and higher price. E and L series are for best performance to price ratio, small chassis, external supply.

For A70, it's not going to happen probably ever. If A70 were to exist it would be as large as D70/D70s which is impractical. A30pro has pairing D30pro that's larger than original A30/D30 but smaller than A90/D90.

As A50s just released, it's impractical to release pro version upgrade. It just doesn't make sense. So the product only fits in A30pro. There can be upgrade to A50s in the future but no plan yet.

There will be updates in the L series and E series line up next year. But won't happen too soon.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But A30 didnt have any balanced in or outs. It Was the lowest Model you could get.
That's why it's called A30pro not A30s. And L30 is essentially A30s but priced lower. Now you see why it's important to put A30pro up there and the new L, E series.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Is it possible for the A30pro/D30pro to use 4.4mm balanced connection ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Noted but hopefully in the future or in other pro models, the 4.4mm interconnect will be adopted. :)
No it won't. If I need to pack into a smaller chassis I use 6.35mm TRS.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
XLR inter connects are 3-pin. There is no simple wiring for a 5-pin 4.4mm connector. You'll need at least a 5-strand wire of sufficient gauge to use one.

There are mini-XLR 3-pin plugs for smaller profile use and if there's traction, even Khadas's proposed 3-pin RCA connectors.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it just me, or is this whole "Pro" series naming of goods wearing a bit thin?
A million years ago TAG-Heuer had a range of watches called "Professional" that was stupid enough. A professional is simply someone who makes their living at a task. As opposed to an amateur. "Pro" most certainly does not mean "better" or "higher quality". Indeed in some areas, the professional quality item is the low quality one. Made to the lowest price to best increase the professional's profit. You never see "pro" on cars.

I have a DX3pro. Maybe it is professional device because I have it on my desk at work.

Maybe someone at Topping could be convinced it is a stupid name. The sort of model nomenclature that appeals to teenagers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is it just me, or is this whole "Pro" series naming of goods wearing a bit thin?
A million years ago TAG-Heuer had a range of watches called "Professional" that was stupid enough. A professional is simply someone who makes their living at a task. As opposed to an amateur. "Pro" most certainly does not mean "better" or "higher quality". Indeed in some areas, the professional quality item is the low quality one. Made to the lowest price to best increase the professional's profit. You never see "pro" on cars.

I have a DX3pro. Maybe it is professional device because I have it on my desk at work.

Maybe someone at Topping could be convinced it is a stupid name. The sort of model nomenclature that appeals to teenagers.
It may sound like a bad excuse but to me it means progress. S means super. It's common to see this kind of suffix in model names on many types of devices. Frankly, it's started/popularized by Apple.
Instead of putting equally if not more corny X in the end, in think s and pro looks and feels really good for models.

antdroid

Reviewer
It may sound like a bad excuse but to me it means progress. S means super. It's common to see this kind of suffix in model names on many types of devices. Frankly, it's started/popularized by Apple.
Instead of putting equally if not more corny X in the end, in think s and pro looks and feels really good for models.

Why not just add a number sequentially... like A31, A32, etc....

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why not just add a number sequentially... like A31, A32, etc....
That way people can't remember and differentiate different models.
Do you remember the A series of Sony DAP?

Daimiel

A50s or even L30 for that matter since K701 is single ended. But hd660s does have stock 4.4mm cable. Thou hd660s is probably one of the easiest headphones to drive.
So my recommendation is a50s. Or L30.
I was read the future A30pro have a lot of power in SE, more than any other Topping amp.
So, it's will the best option of the Topping line for old headphones that only have SE connection, like Beyers 990, Akg K7XX and many others?
It's true?
If it's true I will waiting.
Thanks ;).

BubbaJay

I was about to get the A90 but after seeing the numbers on this I think I might save some coin and get the A50s. It measures better than my SMSL SP200 and has the same 3.5 watts at 32ohm. I already have the D50s so why not complete the stack.

BubbaJay

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Apos and got the A50s. Seeing how it uses a lot of the same architecture as the A90 and is balanced I feel like the headphones I use the most (Arya, AP2000ti, and HP-3) will sound pretty good with it and its paired with its partner the D50s. I'll be sure to post some impressions on how it sounds when I get it.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
@amirm was there also a review of the A50 amp? I already have a 2.5mm custom balanced cable for my 650s, so that version would make sense.

Cidious

I ordered myself one to replace my trusty old Lehmann (heavily modified) since the A50s adds the pre-amp function opposed to it's predecessor the A50. It should come in about 2 days. I'll pair it with my D50s to clean up the desk clutter. I'm a bit confused about the balanced part of the A50s.. The inputs are unbalanced then what is the benefit of having a balanced output? I have balanced headphone cables for my cans but if the balancing part can't be done from the DAC out to the Line in on the A50s then how will this give any benefit? Seems to me like a bit of marketing bs?

Any insights on this?

Top Bottom