• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

HoJ76

A30 arrived today, now the question is when it comes to volume. Do you recommend that it be set to "M" and the volume knob on full, or set it to "H" - and rather have less gain on the volume knob?
1000017110.jpg

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Whatever is most comfortable for you. Sound quality won’t change.

SoundAndSunrises

Not sure it was mentioned in the 83 pages worth of posts, but does anyone know about the short-circuit protection for the A30 Pro?

I had some custom 4-pin XLR connectors made for some headphones. The cable was made 3 times because the builder couldn't get the pin configuration right.

Some attempts I either heard audio solid on one ear, but then it would cut out in and out at a lower volume on the other ear, or only play solid on one ear and nothing on the other, or nothing at all in either ear.

I can't but help think maybe I caused some damage to my device due to incorrect wiring. It's weird because it never fully went into protect mode, or shut off or anything. My biggest concern was the wire configuration that had the audio playing at a lower volume in one ear over the other. Like 80% percent less and sometimes intermittent.

Kaligogrrrrr

I am still sniffing around for a headphone AMP and the market is saturated with confusing names and reviews with 80 pages to read, I got to page 50 of this thread and I'm beaten down.

Could anyone perhaps advise me if the A30 Pro still stacks up (no pun) in 2024? Or are there just better options now?

I am attracted to it's high power for the future proof aspect, and obviously it's exceptional measurements. I don;t need anything fancy, just functional and highest audio fidelity I can get for my small money. I have EQ APO to adjust baselines to my personal tastes (I also often overdo the low end so headroom and power is attractive to me)

My current DAC is E30 but I understand down the line I can upgrade to balanced to get the most out of the A30 Pro.

Just looking for some up to date info, specially reliability and any issues.

Assume my headphones are respected but hard to drive and may also change.

PS On a totally different note, has anyone found a way to MEASURE damping factor? In anything..

@JohnYang1997

Last edited:

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
PS On a totally different note, has anyone found a way to MEASURE damping factor? In anything..

For headphone amps you should look at the output resistance.
For some amps this is given in the specs and some people measure it.
A30 Pro is < 0.1Ω
So for 300Ω headphone the DF > 3000, for 16Ω it is >160

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yep. DF = Zload/Zout.

Tom

Kaligogrrrrr

Many thanks, so, is that good? lol

I know Damping factor was something I never knew existed till a couple years back but don't REALLY get the numbers. If my understanding of Damping factor is correct the ability for an AMP/Speaker to STOP the sound it is playing is seemingly vital for audio fidelity. I can only assume it gets no attention mainstream since the room likes to play audio long past it's due date anyway.

Since headphones eliminate this, I am interested

Last edited:

usern

You want low output impedance, A30pro and most other Topping amps check this box.

Consider Topping L50 - similar power, but gets less hot. A30pro has faint buzz when turned off and your room is extremely quiet (no AC fans running, dead quiet).

Kaligogrrrrr

You want low output impedance, A30pro and most other Topping amps check this box.

Consider Topping L50 - similar power, but gets less hot. A30pro has faint buzz when turned off and your room is extremely quiet (no AC fans running, dead quiet).

This is actually extremely useful, I am highly sensitive to sounds which are not supposed to be there - You reckon L50 then? Or back to my original choice the L30II?

usern

L30II is the most value choice for you. L50 and A30pro most likely will sound quieter with unbalanced line out DAC that you have.

Kaligogrrrrr

L30II is the most value choice for you. L50 and A30pro most likely will sound quieter with unbalanced line out DAC that you have.

Appreciated - I do plan on upgrading to a balanced DAC in the future now I understand the point

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'd go for DF > 100. That's not hard to obtain in a headphone amp.

Tom

Kaligogrrrrr

I'd go for DF > 100. That's not hard to obtain in a headphone amp.

Tom

Much appreciated.

The Output Impedance/resistance is < 0.1 Ohms according to Topping, for the L30II so this seems to check that box for sure. Considering it's price as well at £129 this is becoming very tempting since it will put less strain on me this month.

Kaligogrrrrr

For headphone amps you should look at the output resistance.
For some amps this is given in the specs and some people measure it.
A30 Pro is < 0.1Ω

Why does thre DF INCREASE (get better?) with higher impedance headphones?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Why does thre DF INCREASE (get better?) with higher impedance headphones?
DF = headphones impedance / amplifier’s output impedance

if the headphone has more impedance, the DF increases.

Top Bottom