• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I use this thing as amplifier for my compression drivers in JBL M2?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Price mainly ofcourse I'm just speculating but I bet d30pro to be quite a bit pricier than E30 (which doesn't have balanced outs)
A30pro doesn't have balanced out either. It couldn't have the balanced preamp output by design.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A30pro doesn't have balanced out either. It couldn't have the balanced preamp output by design.

index.php
?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not? I know people use some headphone amps on compression drivers due to the lower noise, but I don't understand what data to look at to determine what product is suitable.

The drivers are 32 ohm devices, around 20 ohm if filtered with the impedance linearization and protection filter.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's pass through. The front headphones outs are wired the same. It will be much more complicated to provide balanced preamp output.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why not? I know people use some headphone amps on compression drivers due to the lower noise, but I don't understand what data to look at to determine what product is suitable.

The drivers are 32 ohm devices, around 20 ohm if filtered with the impedance linearization and protection filter.
You are on your own. I do not recommend.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm It is definitely the time to be testing the protection mechanisms integrated into these products (hopefully) to save attached (and expensive) headphones from accidents.

I suggest the following:

1) DC protection.
Inject an offset of x mV and wind up the volume. Monitor the output and call the level at which the amplifier triggers its onboard DC trip (or not).
2) Short circuit protection.
Wind up the level to full rated power and short the outputs. Describe the protection (or lack thereof) behaviour.
3) Overdrive/Overpower protection
Is there a level where the device enables protection based on clipping (running into the rails) or excess current consumption?

Traditional amplifiers have had these protection modes (and others) for many decades and now headphone amplifiers are getting serious in the power department, these parameters should be tested and/or commented upon.

Afraid I agree. Having had the worst happen with the L30 I simply cant afford to buy any amp, regardless of manufacturer, without some confirmation somewhere that such protections are in place. It isn't and shouldn't be Amir or anyone else's job to do that but these devices will sell thousands , partly on the back of these reviews .

ZööZ

The pass through IS balanced directly wired to the input.

It will NOT be balanced IF is a preamp.

The FRONT headphones outputs are all single-ended.

I hope this made it clear.
Ok so it wouldn't pass rca input from E30 to the balanced out?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it isn't balanced, it shouldn't be marked as such IMHO.

Its balanced. Its the pass thru of the XLR inputs. But it isnt a preamp out. Bypasses the amp circuitry. Someone, somewhere, will start cranking out 1/4 inch to 3 pin xlr cables .

Lbstyling

Forum Donor

He he. He means 'yes', just don't come crying to him when you break something. :D

This amp is exactly what I have been waiting decades for! I only need 2W max (115db/1w 2452SL) 16 ohm, 400hz cut off. This is not a hard drive to 100db. The A90 already handles this fine, but another 3db headroom for a crazy peak in action films (just in case) is now perfect! And yes, the background is DEAD (ear against the diaphragm) silent.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
He he. He means 'yes', just don't come crying to him when you break something. :D

This amp is exactly what I have been waiting decades for! I only need 2W max (115db/1w 2452SL) 16 ohm, 400hz cut off. This is not a hard drive to 100db. The A90 already handles this fine, but another 3db headroom for a crazy peak in action films (just in case) is now perfect! And yes, the background is DEAD (ear against the diaphragm) silent.
This is on the verge of what I would consider comfortable. Measurements is at 1M so it will need more power very quickly if you are a bit far away from it. It's not that the amp can't output that power but it may not have enough heatsinking capabilities to handle that dissipation. It may work for you and some people, but if some of those like to play loud or like play music with more bass it can be more stressing.
People said He6 needs a lot of power but they rarely use 100mW in reality. These speakers even though are sensitive, can draw quite a lot of power constantly easily 1W.
So sure like you said, one "can" use it and use it carefully. But I wouldn't be so comfortable driving speakers if the chassis can't handle at least dissipation with continuous 20W output.

ninetylol

Didnt benchmark had an article, that balanced headphones out are technicaly worse than Single ended, because of the extra circuitry needed, which in turn produces more noise - although the XLR connection is superior in form of contacts? So this would be actually as good as it gets with all that power.

Top Bottom