• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30/D30 stack questions

CSNg

Hello everyone, I’m new here and new in this hobby.
Just got myself a Drop HD6xx and topping A30//D30 stack base on the reviews and discussions in this forum.
The above combo works well as I tested last night and I must say I love them.
However, when I connect the stack to my Klipsch r15pm, the speakers almost blew up, I have to lower my laptop volume to 15% and slower adjust the volume for the speakers to make it acceptable. But it still produced some distortion.
is the stack not meant for using with Klipsch r15pm?

Thank you for reading this.
image.jpg

sorry for the messy desk

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30 is only used for Line out. The volume pot doesn't do anything on the Line out BTW. It's best to keep your klipsch volume half-way or below and adjust volume with Windows slider

OP
C

CSNg

The A30 is only used for Line out. The volume pot doesn't do anything on the Line out BTW. It's best to keep your klipsch volume half-way or below and adjust volume with Windows slider
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t even know the volume knob on the A30 doesn’t do anything on the Line out. But it seems to be that way as I remember it correctly, while tested the setup last night using the speakers, I did not even turn on the A30, hehehe...

OP
C

CSNg

When I’m using laptop connecting to D30 with USB cable, D30 to A30 with RCA, then A30 to r15pm, the speakers keep having distortion. Any idea what could be the cause? Or just simply I do it wrongly?
Thank you.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
C

CSNg

You're joking right ? otherwise I would not know what to call my desk. :(
Hi dude, I know what you mean. I used to can’t see the desk surface at all, till I decided to do something and bought the monitor stand last month to clear some space on it. (In fact the idea started when I’m planning to purchase the headphone)

OP
C

CSNg

Guys, please don’t mind me asking another question here. Is it a good idea to replace the r15pm with a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and connect to the topping stack?
Thank you.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, please don’t mind me asking another question here. Is it a good idea to replace the r15pm with a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and connect to the topping stack?
Thank you.

You would need an integrated amp if you go passive speakers since the topping only allows line level signal. Try a passive preamp like the Schiit SYS replacing your A30 then max your Windows volume and then changing the volume with the SYS

jasonq997

Forum Donor
You would need an integrated amp if you go passive speakers since the topping only allows line level signal. Try a passive preamp like the Schiit SYS replacing your A30 then max your Windows volume and then changing the volume with the SYS

The sys would be ideal as the next item in the chain after the A30. He would not want to replace the A30 since he wants to use it as a headphone amp.

OP
C

CSNg

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. Currently I just remove the USB cable from D30 and connect directly to the r15pm when I want to listen using the speakers. A bit troublesome but better then frightened by the loud distortion.

Top Bottom