• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Danley’s new Hyperion

DRNNOO

Yes, DI differences will make some impact here, but then the speaker with the narrowest DI would be considered best, and we know that in general, this isn't exactly the case.
I'd say we agree more than disagree and that I have different goals than what you expect? If ones goal was to achieve highest accuracy, in a room, then the higher DI loudspeaker would be the best, all else equal... Just because the average person does not desire this... is arbitrary

Last I checked, all sorts of loudspeakers that would not be fit for critical listening, like open baffle for example, are still very popular....

In the studio, where critical listening is the focus, you potentially will see high or low DI monitors, but, a high degree of room treatment is used.... Room treatment, has some of the same affects as increasing DI. That is..... Lowering the indirect sound vs direct sound, at the listening position.

Last edited:

DRNNOO

Another will not perform magnitudes better in that same room, especially not above the Schroeder frequency
A very large Horn/waveguide (with high DI) vs a Dynamic tweeter in an untreated room... I think the difference will be night and day. I could say thats been my experience

But then again I'm talking about accuracy of reproduction and that is not the same as talking about what an individual considers better

Preference vs Truth

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A very large Horn/waveguide vs a Dynamic tweeter in an untreated room... I think the difference will be night and day. I could say thats been my experience
But the question is: can you see that only from the unsmoothed on-axis frequency response?

DRNNOO

Yes... The more reverb there is, the more oscillations in the FR there will be due to phase cancellation caused by the multiple arrivals. The more reverb, the more comb filtering

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it spin? That is the question.

DRNNOO

With this spec, aren't these, the, end of times, speaker?
And also, end of life, for any husband who tries to sneak them into the family home?
I think so... pretty much anything that can produce upwards of 115db/1m transients and stay within xmax and has a decent FR fits that category

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thats neither here nor there...

Hypothetical situation;
An anechoic measurement and one taken in a room... lets say the smoothed inroom is identical to the anechoic raw measurement... The raw inroom response looks nothing like the anechoic raw response... lets now pretend like the changes shown in the raw inroom response are inaudible

The trend of response is shown by smoothing. This trend is likely the tone we will perceive... the less deviation in a raw measurement, the more resolved the sound is... when there is a high amount of arrivals, or even when a driver is not performing well, or even a bad crossover, this is reflected in the response.... the response with less deviation is of higher sonic clarity, I do not want this information hidden from me.

View attachment 354738

In particular, the unsmoothed frequency response and unsmoothed group delay, will show the level of clarity a loudspeaker provides, the less deviation obviously, the better. Particularly important for inroom measurements, as a very hairy response like the red measurement above, will have less transient accuracy than of it measured like the blue, in a room.
Hey the cool thing about science is that nothing stops you from conducting your study, proving your hypothesis with evidence and publishing a paper that will become a staple in audio science for decades. Good luck.

Top Bottom