• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Munich Hi-End

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The huge Munich Hi-End show opens tomorrow, if you haven’t been it is worth visiting at least once, there is a really comprehensive photographic coverage by my Hi-End.
https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13372-2023年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show

Updated every day.
Keith

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't go but i'm looking forward to any pics you guys can share.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Because of stupidly failing to re-new passport I may not make it this year, but if you check out the link above,
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Leo’s first pictures are up, he always takes a stroll around Munich ( see page 2) show coverage starts here,
https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13372-2023年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show/page3

Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Be warned Leo is comprehensive, this is a marathon not a sprint, already like the Wiener speaker whose bass goes up to 12, Spinal Tap fans perhaps, and the wrinkled foreskin Fono ( something or other) cables.
Munich is I. suppose the antithesis of ASR, the excess leaves your head spinning so much stuff just to play a record.
Enjoy, 2pearljam Genelec have been there for the last few years with all their speakers so make sure you are sitting down.
Keith

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's so weird. You might think it's a picture from a large-scale physics research facility, but it's just the back of a stereo system. :facepalm:

DSC_2380ss.jpg

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
As usual most of the demos are not very good. As I was told once, it is puzzling how audio high end can be both bad and expansive. The worse bass of the show is won by Focal who managed to get their Utopia sounding like a ghetto blaster.
dCS and Raidho had pretty good sound.
Fun fact, Grimm are demoing their streamer with whatever non Grimm bookshelf.
Tomorrow is mainly business meetings for me, not sure that I will have more time for fun.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Magico supposedly measured and optimized their room acoustics. Someone there please comment on how the new S3 sounds in this room.

347292518_1590355971441815_4220374655842669404_n.jpg

Berlin

Leo’s first pictures are up, he always takes a stroll around Munich ( see page 2) show coverage starts here,
https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13372-2023年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show/page3

Keith
Looking at the pictures, I have the impression that the listening rooms are mainly treated with diffusers and not with absorbers. Does it make sense to have diffusors at the front wall (behind the speakers)...?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The rooms themselves have very little bass return, they are essentially glass back and front and plasterboard partitions at the side, so ‘boom’ is not an issue but bass can sound anaemic.
Keith

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I use to be like a kid when going to a hifi show and being able to listen to so many systems. Today, I only go if I need to. There are almost no rooms that sound particular good to my ears at these shows (I've visited many). Combine that with ridicolous prices and focus on snake-oil, it's no surprise high fidelity is dying.

We should question the cost of exhibiting at many of these shows. It has become extremely expensive which again drives up the prices of products for the consumers. It's also more or less impossible to be a new kid on the block and get a good room at the shows. They are all taken.

beeface

Magico supposedly measured and optimized their room acoustics. Someone there please comment on how the new S3 sounds in this room.

View attachment 286413

All that engineering, use of a DSP, and they still need to use silly grounding devices and snake oil network switches. I guess they need to play the game.

magico_s3_speakers_munich_2023_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury_audio_music_00002.jpg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All that engineering, use of a DSP, and they still need to use silly grounding devices and snake oil network switches. I guess they need to play the game.
There is no excuse for this.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

magico_s3_speakers_munich_2023_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury_audio_music_00002.jpg
Thanks for the reference. I did not know that there are grounding monsters.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
82 pages so far and very little tat interests me personally, apart from this,

If you haven’t tried the Baach system you should!
@Dialectic

Keith

Keith_W

Major Contributor

Try to understand what is going on from Magico's point of view. Their product is for high end audiophiles. The overwhelming majority (I would say 99%) of high end audiophiles are subjectivists who listen with their eyes. If they see that you are using hardware store speaker cable or power cords, you will lose credibility very quickly. I don't think it would cost them anything to demo their equipment with those products either, most of them would LOVE to be associated with a company like Magico, particularly if they had gone to such lengths to get their room sounding right with DSP. Magico gets to show some street cred with their market, and those snake oil companies get people to think that amazing sound is only possible if you pay attention to everything, because "everything matters".

I am NOT saying that there is any scientific basis behind any of this, nor am I remotely suggesting that any of this is audible. It is a marketing exercise, and when you look at it this way, it all makes sense.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is any method by which DSP could be implemented in the Magico system that is being shown in Munich. They might be measuring for best/least worse speaker placement.
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try to understand what is going on from Magico's point of view. Their product is for high end audiophiles. The overwhelming majority (I would say 99%) of high end audiophiles are subjectivists who listen with their eyes. If they see that you are using hardware store speaker cable or power cords, you will lose credibility very quickly. I don't think it would cost them anything to demo their equipment with those products either, most of them would LOVE to be associated with a company like Magico, particularly if they had gone to such lengths to get their room sounding right with DSP. Magico gets to show some street cred with their market, and those snake oil companies get people to think that amazing sound is only possible if you pay attention to everything, because "everything matters".

I am NOT saying that there is any scientific basis behind any of this, nor am I remotely suggesting that any of this is audible. It is a marketing exercise, and when you look at it this way, it all makes sense.
Agreed, and to simplify:
- With fancy electronics and accessories, subjectivists are happy and objectivists roll their eyes but are happy with the presentation as well.
- With normal electronics, objectivists are happy but subjectivists, which are the majority of their customers, run away and discredit the brand.

Not difficult to see where it's more advantageous.

Top Bottom