• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TL084 quad op-amp die tear-down/analysis

esm

Forum Donor
I thought this might be interesting to some of the EEs here. :)

Silicon die analysis: inside an op amp with interesting "butterfly" transistors
https://www.righto.com/2018/06/silicon-die-analysis-op-amp-with.html
die.jpg

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excuse for a small rant, but I hate how knowledgeable people like Shiriff are getting jack sh!t with their indepth analysis of EE stuff, while garbage science-as-entertainment "content" from Youtube clickbaiters are raking in millions catering to the lowest common denominator.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse for a small rant, but I hate how knowledgeable people like Shiriff are getting jack sh!t with their indepth analysis of EE stuff, while garbage science-as-entertainment "content" from Youtube clickbaiters are raking in millions catering to the lowest common denominator.
I don't know who Shiriff is. Maybe he should do some youtube videos.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well he's the author who did the write up of the TL084 die, duh.
Okay. Sorry, I missed the by line.

Nicely done article. And seriously, with a little prep no reason this couldn't be a nice youtube video or series of videos explaining each part. I don't know if it will get a million views, but I would watch it.

Wombat

Master Contributor

It is easier for many to swallow BS than it is to think for themselves. A lazy human trait.

Timbo2

It is easier for many to swallow BS than it is to think for themselves. A lazy human trait.

In my personal experience part of this generational. I can't tell you how many times I've done a web search to fix a PC related issue and there are multiple videos about it, but it only on the third page is a link to somebody who wrote down his or her experience.

And the video channels are small enough that they aren't being monetized its just their preferred way to share information. It is definitely how my teenage son gets lots of information. OTH, I think it is terribly inefficient.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the video channels are small enough that they aren't being monetized its just their preferred way to share information. It is definitely how my teenage son gets lots of information. OTH, I think it is terribly inefficient.

Most of the best YT content are actually in the small unmonetized channels, precisely because they create for passion instead of using every obnoxious Youtuber superstar antic possible to game the recommendation algorithm for viewcount and ad money.

The bigger channels who are still doing quality content including one BigClive who are doing similar electronic teardowns and analysis are increasingly turning towards Patreon to fund themselves, since it's impossible to keep up with the low effort content spammers gaming the monetization system without throwing themselves into the same dumpster.

The bubble for the latter is bursting anyway since YT has been steadily cutting down on the monetization payouts, and I have no sympathy when the garbage creators all go out of business.

And yeah I also agree videos are an inefficiently way for disseminating content in some contexts. Like PC hardware benchmarking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom