• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tinnitus suffers! Are still able to enjoy music? Do you go to concerts?

Thelo80

Hello. 5 months after the onset, thinks are getting a little bit better in terms of anxiety and quality of life. Induced by hearing loss above 4K hz.
For long term tinnitus suffers:
1- are you still able to enjoy listening to music through the tinnitus buzzing sound?
2- do you go to concerts?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1-yes. Music masks it, but if I play too loud, it aggravates it which I find out after the fact, so generally avoid playing too loud. 78-80 db is as high as I go.
2-yes. Mostly symphonies and operas. I think other genres at large events are risky given how loud they play and the how loud the crowd gets.

OP
T

Thelo80

For The first four months my tinnitus level was higher than the music. And also took my some time to accept this new condition. Still working on this with relaxation and mindfulness.
Just a month ago I started listening music again, more and more exposure each week.
My ears prefer hear the music from iPhone or iPad than hifi system, at least for now.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had loud Tinnitus since the 90's, and also suffer bouts of hyperacusis (extreme sensitivity to sound, which is even worse than Tinnitus). So I've had to be quite
careful over the years. Several years ago I had a "retraining" therapy to address the hyperacusis, which helped a lot. I now listen louder than I have for years.

To your questions:

1 - Yes. I've been able to enjoy music all these years even with T. Sometimes it has interfered, because sometimes I have "reactive tinnitus" which means it's not percieved as a constant volume (which can be masked with louder sounds) but it reacts to sound getting louder, so rides atop the sound. When that's happening I often take a break from listening to music. But overall I'd say I've lost little listening time over the years to Tinnitus.

2. I no longer go to see live music. Which is one of my great sorrows as it was among my favourite things to do. But every time I try I've ended up paying a heavy price, so now it's not worth it. This is one reason, I think, that I seek a life-like semblence in my sound system, as a sort of substitute for the real thing.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Yes. As @stunta said, the music seems to mask it.
2) No. I've given up on the crowds. My recordings suffice. Besides, I can listen to "The Magic Flute" in my flip-flops and underwear. I doubt they would approve of that at the opera house. :D :D

Jim

You are probably joking about the clothing, but I was surprised by something recently, so wanted to share. I went to a symphony and then an opera (incidentally, it was "The Magic Flute") in two different cities in Europe. Neither had a dress code (I asked). At the symphony, I saw one guy in the audience with tank-tops. I think its conventional to dress well in these halls, but they may not actually require it.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My tinnitus probably isn't nearly as bad as it can get. It's a neurological phenomenon so I can easily tune it out. It seldom makes itself "notable." For example, I completely forgot I had it until I read this post. So I do enjoy live and reproduced music performances.

norman bates

Forum Donor
Lower your blood pressure.
Take citrus bioflavanoids, I take 250mg after food 2x day.

Won't fix but may lessen ringing.

I try to wear 30db shooter earmuffs at work as much as I can, otherwise my ears ring bad after work (8hrs of 80db).

I use ear plugs when I go to rock concert..

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yes. When listening to music I no longer hear the ringing.
No. No clubs or any loud activity like NASCAR races or Long Shooting sessions.

Over time your brain starts to blank it out to some degree. It keeps me awake at night. So I now sleep with IEM’s in all night. You have to mentally tell yourself to not hyper focus on it. Just another life surprise gift for getting older. The more you think about it the louder it gets.

Good luck and you are not alone. Start wearing hearing protection for all loud noises. Vacuum cleaner, blender, drills/sanders/power tools. I carry ear plugs like a pocket knife and keys.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Over time your brain starts to blank it out to some degree. It keeps me awake at night. So I now sleep with IEM’s in all night. You have to mentally tell yourself to not hyper focus on it. Just another life surprise gift for getting older. The more you think about it the louder it gets.

Good luck and you are not alone. Start wearing hearing protection for all loud noises. Vacuum cleaner, blender, drills/sanders/power tools. I carry ear plugs like a pocket knife and keys.
Interesting that you snooze with IEMs. I often sleep at my desk with headphones on and with the music/movie playing. So yes, it can be done very well with some determination and adjustment. What do you suppose caused the tinnitus? You're ex-navy I am guessing(?) so this could be really interesting like massive battle guns or 50 cal etc. I think mine was caused by outdoor equipment like a chainsaw and a lawn mower and very loud 2 stroke dirt bikes.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Interesting that you snooze with IEMs. I often sleep at my desk with headphones on and with the music/movie playing. So yes, it can be done very well with some determination and adjustment. What do you suppose caused the tinnitus? You're ex-navy I am guessing(?) so this could be really interesting like massive battle guns or 50 cal etc. I think mine was caused by outdoor equipment like a chainsaw and a lawn mower and very loud 2 stroke dirt bikes.
I worked and basically lived in the Main Machinery Spaces aboard multiple Ships. Incredibly loud and hot environments. Also being topside during a GunEx in Cuba on the USS MISSOURI (BB-63) and USS IOWA (BB-61) standing on an observation deck a mere 30 yards above and behind gun mount #2’s Three 16 inch main guns. Sealed the deal. That sound was massive and your whole body felt it. First was the flash of heat and intense light, followed by the percussion pressure wave that literally SLAMMED into your body, followed by the blam sound of the guns going off. Workin on and around flight decks during flight ops. Some sounds are beyond any hearing protection capabilities to dampen.

I remember observing the 16 inch guns the first time. We were told by an old salty Master Chief. To grit your teeth when you here the bell or you might bite your tongue off. When the gun fired your vision went completely blurry. The first dozen shots were fun as hell. The next several dozen were unrelenting brutality on your body and senses. Never wanted to do that again. I was uncontrollably trembling the remainder of that day.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked and basically lived in the Main Machinery Spaces aboard multiple Ships. Incredibly loud and hot environments. Also being topside during a GunEx in Cuba on the USS MISSOURI (BB-63) and USS IOWA (BB-61) standing on an observation deck a mere 30 yards above and behind gun mount #2’s Three 16 inch main guns. Sealed the deal. That sound was massive and your whole body felt it. First was the flash of heat and intense light, followed by the percussion pressure wave that literally SLAMMED into your body, followed by the blam sound of the guns going off. Workin on and around flight decks during flight ops. Some sounds are beyond any hearing protection capabilities to dampen.

I remember observing the 16 inch guns the first time. We were told by an old salty Master Chief. To grit your teeth when you here the bell or you might bite your tongue off. When the gun fired your vision went completely blurry. The first dozen shots were fun as hell. The next several dozen were unrelenting brutality on your body and senses. Never wanted to do that again. I was uncontrollably trembling the remainder of that day.
I had a suspicion you are harder-core. Those are very serious battleships with serious records of service and awards. You must be very proud to have the opportunity to serve in such a capacity. I googled the ships you quoted and read the Wikis and I am very impressed. Thanks for your service! I have sustained SPLs that was able to get in through earmuffs and deci-damps both used at the same time. So I can sort of appreciate how loud of SPLs that you experienced. Probably not even close. :D
Interesting I can see where the ship has shifted due to recoil at the bow. I can get a approximate idea of the location you where at when the big guns where blazing.
705px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

1200px-USS_Iowa_gun_load.jpg

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wear earplugs with 30 dB attentuation at all live events that use amplification. It reduces both damage and exhaustion due to high SPL exposure at prolonged loud concerts.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

When my Tinnitus became alarmingly loud in the late 90's I was somewhat stubborn. I didn't want to start using any noise masking machines by the bed or whatever because I didn't want to feel dependent on them. I did a fair amount of traveling and didn't want to haul around or depend upon such things to get to sleep. It worked out fine for me as I learned to ignore the ringing and usually slept fine.

When I did a noise therapy for my hyperacusis condition, one requirement was a white noise machine by my bed (part of "re-training" my nervous system to accept constant noise - avoid silence). While many find white noise soothing I found it hard to get used to. It was distracting. Eventually I got used to it and since the therapy lasted a couple years I still have it on by the bedside.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have good "ear weather" days and bad. The noise is always there, but sometimes it's a light hiss that can be ignored and other times an annoying whine. Usually, I don't have problems listening to my speaker system because the tinnitus sounds and music are in different places, and I can usually ignore the tinnitus unless it's really bad. But with headphones the tinnitus sounds and music are in the same head space, so I'm much more sensitive to it then.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Lately the only time I hear my very high pitched Tinnitus is when I read about Tinnitus! Like right now!

I signed up for the new dual sensory treatment. Will see if I ever get to the front of the line and who well it works (sadly they don't have a lab in our state).

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1-yes. Music masks it, but if I play too loud, it aggravates it which I find out after the fact, so generally avoid playing too loud. 78-80 db is as high as I go.
2-yes. Mostly symphonies and operas. I think other genres at large events are risky given how loud they play and the how loud the crowd gets.
Same here. listen to music all day to mask, but have to limit levels or aggravates it. Mine is the high pitch whine, so no buzzing and can hear to above 10khz. If I go to a concert (or loud bar for that matter), I wear earplugs. If you go to concerts regularly, you can get earplugs designed to drop the overall sound level while maintaining a good sound balance.

Top Bottom