• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time for upgrade? (AVR)

G-Can

hey crew,
I would really appreciate some input, Ive been loorking this forum for a while, but just recently registered.

Currently I own Marantz SR5010 from 2015 I believe, and have an itch due to current sales/discounts, to upgrade from current 5.1.2 setup at home to a 5.1.4, (cant go 7.1.2 or 4 due to space contraints) as well to get a general upgrade in sound and features, I never seem to get AudyseyXT to make a sound Id like or expect.
Speakers wise, I have for LCR: Kef Q300+Q600, rear KEF Q100, sub is SVS SB3000 and for current 2 atmos speakers I have some little polk bookshelfs I have between trusses (my HT is in basement with exposed ceiling trusses) firing downward above listening couch. Planing on removing those and getting 4 of same atmos speakers.
I exclusivelly use this for tv/movies, no music playing or gaming on this seetup.
I have narrowed it down to Onkyo NR7100 and Denon X3800H. For Denon to get Dirac (also, what Im reading is way better solution then audysey and would really like to try it) I would need to pay $300+ extra on top of the price of AVR?
while Onkyo comes with Dirac included in price of AVR. Is that correct?

OR got with a safe bet, and grab a Denon X3600H that is a proven good unit, and forget about Dirac in general. I guess if I could live with basic audyseyy for years, a newer XT32 would be an upgrade as well.

If someone put a gun to your head and said, sell me a 1000-1200 AVR right now, what would you say? new or used, I am open to anything.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would be looking at either 3800H, 4800H, or A1H, since Denon just rolled out Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC).
The DIRAC Live license for these AVRs are already available to purchase for US$350 (link), and with DLBC firmware coming soon (any day now).
With the potential for Denon's ART technology coming next year for the same models (my speculation).

Because of this, I don't consider previous generation of Denon AVRs as worth getting, even at a high discount. They'll unlikely get the Dirac firmware.

Your next upgrade should be a 2nd sub, since DLBC works best with 2+ subs.

OP
G

G-Can

I would be looking at either 3800H, 4800H, or A1H, since Denon just rolled out Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC).
The DIRAC Live license for these AVRs are already available to purchase for US$350 (link), and with DLBC firmware coming soon (any day now).
With the potential for Denon's ART technology coming next year for the same models (my speculation).

Because of this, I don't consider previous generation of Denon AVRs as worth getting, even at a high discount. They'll unlikely get the Dirac firmware.

Your next upgrade should be a 2nd sub, since DLBC works best with 2+ subs.

yeah, I gave up on the idea of getting 3600H, purelly for reasons above as you noted.

I am keeping an eye on a B stock 3800H, I missed on one by literal minutes, so no rush. I am still considering Onkyo NR7100, it is considerably cheaper option then 3800H.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a new avr (Denon 4700) just after the 3800/4800 were released and just didn't want the four sub capability bad enough, altho Dirac potential would be nice. Now, the prices have come down a bit and I'd more consider the 3800/4800. I'm still leery of Onkyo/Pioneer due their financial condition, but can be a nice way to get Dirac a bit cheaper IIRC. Can you use/are you using the editor app?

OP
G

G-Can

Im waiting for some Bstock to show up, I find them to expensive at regular price. I find it crazy to pay $2500CAD for a entry/ low mid level AVR these days.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too am waffling but my old Onkyo is chugging along. You want DSP with HT. Many seem to like the Onkyo TX RZ50 and Yamaha A series. Denon seems to be the crowd favorite brand. Search those brands in thread titles above for better advice.

Top Bottom