• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on RCA cables with ‘directional shielding’ e.g. SVS SoundPath

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Well there's lots of arguments in every direction.

Here's my situation right now:

- Headunit completely disconnected and unplugged

-Vehicle off, engine off, ignition off

- RD400 JL amp connected to only one speaker

Keeping in mind all of the above, If I turn on the amp and connect one rca cable, right away I'm getting static from the speaker and tweeter.

If I ground the other end of the rca cable, the disconnected end, the end that would normally by plugged into a headunit, the static disappears!

So I have a clear and reproducible situation in which I can test any cable.

I welcome any company to send me an rca cable, and I will record a video/post results if that cable is any good getting rid of the static/ground issue!

So far I tried monoprice, Amazon basic and blue jeans cables, all are producing static!
So your testing RCA cables as antennae. Of course they will pick up noise. There not designed to be antennae there designed to be terminated at both ends. Your test shows nothing about there performance when used for what they where designed, interconnects.

bmwe39528i

My bad. Thats what crutchfield diagram suggested to test rcas. Didn't realize it was acting as antenna

Top Bottom