• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Think about the favorite headphone that you own.

What did your current favorite headphones cost?

• $0-$99

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • $100-$199

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • $200-$299

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • $300-$399

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • $400-$499

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • $500-$749

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • $750-$999

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • $1000-$1249

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • $1250-$1499

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • $1500+

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having a Sundara, a Nighthawk Carbon and a HD600, my favorite would be either the Nighthawk Carbon or the HD600, but not the Sundara.
It needs to be said that I have access to EQ. But even without EQ the ranking would stay the same.

The Nighthawk is the most comfortable by far, followed by the HD600 which are extremely light. The Sundara are 43% heavier than the HD600, at 372g. And they don't have a sophisticated suspension system like the Nighthawk, so you really feel the weight.

Sound-wise, I love both the Nighthawk and the HD600 for different reasons.
The Sundara just hasn't been able to move me yet, for whatever reason. It seems to lack something. It sure doesn't lack weight, lol.
I'll keep listening to them over the next few months, and if I still don't like them I'll start looking for an alternative.

As for the Nighthawk and the HD600, I know already that I will never sell them. They're mine forever. :)

OP
brachypelma44

brachypelma44

Having a Sundara, a Nighthawk Carbon and a HD600, my favorite would be either the Nighthawk Carbon or the HD600, but not the Sundara. It needs to be said that I have access to EQ. But even without EQ the ranking would stay the same.

Just out of curiosity, which EQ settings are you using with the Sundara?

Jose Hidalgo

OP
brachypelma44

brachypelma44

68 responses so far! Wow. Thank you, everyone.

My educated guess was that over 50% of people would hit the point where diminishing returns made it unnecessary to buy a headphone over the $500 mark. So far, that number is 64.7% so that hunch turned out to be true. The dollar value was just an arbitrary number on my part, and now my curiosity is satisfied. Thanks again.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I want to go back to the question on Actual price paid vs. Retail price. What are you looking to learn from the data? The manufacturer's desired price point for the "sweet spot" of headphone buyers or the actual price paid "sweet spot." I think this is significantly more valuable to the community to understand what people actually pay for their favorite headphones and what that "sweet spot" tends to be. For example my favorite headphones (Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT) were $549 retail price but I paid $219 for them used because that's what I was willing to spend on nice over ear bluetooth headphones that also work wired (digitally). Also I think there is a wired distribution and a bluetooth/wireless distribution that is significantly different in price point. So mixing them together will screw up your results.

IMHO: I would have a poll for how much you actually paid for your wired headphones and a second poll for how much you paid for your wireless headphones.

Jose Hidalgo

I think this poll rather reflects the headphones that people own / have listened to. One can hardly understand that anybody would vote a sub-100$ headphone at his absolute favorite headphone on Earth, and yet 10% of people did. :oops: Even though IMHO it's obvious for ANY person with half an ear that a slightly more expensive headphone such as the HD600 or 650/6XX (just to name a well-known reference) sounds (and feels) better than ANY sub-100$ headphone.

With this said, I agree with the OP on the essential : it's probably unnecessary for most people to buy a headphone over 500$. The quality that you can get with sub-500$ cans makes that unnecessary, except for a marginal number of people.

OP
brachypelma44

brachypelma44

Actually I want to go back to the question on Actual price paid vs. Retail price. What are you looking to learn from the data? The manufacturer's desired price point for the "sweet spot" of headphone buyers or the actual price paid "sweet spot." I think this is significantly more valuable to the community to understand what people actually pay for their favorite headphones and what that "sweet spot" tends to be. For example my favorite headphones (Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT) were $549 retail price but I paid $219 for them used because that's what I was willing to spend on nice over ear bluetooth headphones that also work wired (digitally). Also I think there is a wired distribution and a bluetooth/wireless distribution that is significantly different in price point. So mixing them together will screw up your results.

IMHO: I would have a poll for how much you actually paid for your wired headphones and a second poll for how much you paid for your wireless headphones.

I know that this wasn't the most scientific poll in the word. I didn't specify MSRP vs actual price paid at the start, although we clarified that in posts following it. I pretty much got what I wanted from it, but if you want to make a new, more specific poll, feel free to do so.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
68 responses so far! Wow. Thank you, everyone.

My educated guess was that over 50% of people would hit the point where diminishing returns made it unnecessary to buy a headphone over the $500 mark. So far, that number is 64.7% so that hunch turned out to be true. The dollar value was just an arbitrary number on my part, and now my curiosity is satisfied. Thanks again.
No, with your design you can't make any conclusion at all. You are simply making an assumption.

D

Deleted member 27694

ER2SE without a doubt.

HD560s and HD600.
DT1990 (esp for Extreme Metal)
Galaxy Buds+

Last edited by a moderator:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
favorites fall in the range between $ 25.- (from Koss KSC75) to $ 1500 or so (HD800S) so cannot choose any specific range.
Most of them (aside from the mentioned extremes) fall in the $100 to $400 range.

Jumbotron

I have not had a lot of headphones, and most of them were not expensive and from China (several Takstar and Superlux among them). Other than the Chinese ones, I also had a pair of Hifiman (I do not remember the exact model. The not expensive ones that Drop sells) and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

Among all of them, the ones I like the most and the only ones I have kept for desktop use are the Takstar HF 580 (planars).

I have just realized that I already commented in this topic before. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 27694

I have not had a lot of headphones, and most of them were not expensive and from China (several Takstar and Superlux among them). Other than the Chinese ones, I also had a pair of Hifiman (I do not remember the exact model. The not expensive ones that Drop sells) and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

Among all of them, the ones I like the most and the only ones I have kept for desktop use are the Takstar HF 580 (planars).

I have just realized that I already commented in this topic before. Sorry.
HiFiMAN Electronics is a Chinese manufacturer of audio products

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've owned [and used] headphones that went for more than $2000, don't know if I'd like them more than what I've got now. The Drop 6XX has the best sound, but [like my old Stax Earspeakers with Stax energizer/amp] are tied to one spot, attached to a Topping E/L 30 stack. That allows for some PEQ, extra power for the bottom octaves. However, because I can hook it up to anything and it will sound fine, top to bottom, the AKG K371 are my current favorites. Those set me back $130. I like playing jazz through the Philips Fidelio X2 HR headphones, that resonant activity in the upper partials works with the sound of brass. Those were $150 + tax.

Vict0r

I have three Koss Portapro's in the house, yet sold off a DT880, Grado SR225i, AKG K701 and a Hifiman HE-5. :p Also, I use my $30 Blon BL03 way more often than my 1964 custom IEMs that cost me more than I want to think about right now. More expensive doesn't have to mean "better". :)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Very true, however, I have owned both Koss Portapro and the DT880 and I can't for the life of me imagine anything that I would consider the Koss even as good at let alone better. Not to mention the cable on the Portapro where it terminates into the cup is so flimsy it shorts out all the time. I will bet that you have had to use the lifetime warranty on the Koss several times. I know that between my brother and I we have had the Koss replaced about 8 times.

Vict0r

Very true, however, I have owned both Koss Portapro and the DT880 and I can't for the life of me imagine anything that I would consider the Koss even as good at let alone better. Not to mention the cable on the Portapro where it terminates into the cup is so flimsy it shorts out all the time. I will bet that you have had to use the lifetime warranty on the Koss several times. I know that between my brother and I we have had the Koss replaced about 8 times.

I've been using multiple Portapro's (different colours) for more than 10 years (15?) and the only thing I had to replace were the earpads. :D Those things'll crumble on you. And I know the DT880 is a more technical headphone. I just didn't enjoy it enough for the price I paid to warrant keeping it. Very comfortable headphone, though. They did that right, at least.

The Portapro is light, portable, cheap and cheerful and sounds great when I just want to put on a headphone a go outside. I'm not taking my HD600 to the woods. :p

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Im guessing the one on the right is the first and last time the colour peach ever featured in any audio kit?

Just out of interest, what am I looking at here please?

I'm guessing your not familiar with Apple.

1619089326186.png

Personally, I'd sooner boil my own head than wear those.

Top Bottom