• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Matrix Resurrections what a horrible movie...

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or maybe nothing is so unenjoyable as Hollywood and moviemaking gazing at their own navels

Offler

There is only one Matrix movie. The rest didn't happen in this world, and I'm fine with that.
I would agree for most of last 20 years, I did a re-watch of first three recently and if all three movies are watched in short succession, the newer ones actually make much more sense.

Havent seen last one and I am hesitant.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't care less what pronoun they use to refer to themselves, but the movie sucked! I saw nearly identical story lines, slightly altered and repeated from the original movie, redone with older and more lethargic actors that didn't appear to want to be in it. With no overall story line that would make any sense, this appeared to be more of a remake and not a sequel, and a really poor one at that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
and Ready Player One

Oh my god, was that the absolute worst piece of cinematic garbage I have ever given 20 minutes of my life to. Pulled the plug back in the day and demnanded a refund from my local video store. He had recommended it and refused a credit. So, that was the end of it for me, and his business folded not long afterwards.

That was a spielberg disaster wasn't it? Horrible in every way. What were they thinking. Or not.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
A few years ago Best Buy would sell you The Matrix and give you a dollar to take the sequels too.

Attachments

• 88D22B86-A225-4B2C-B048-6295A4A5A6B8.jpeg
    88D22B86-A225-4B2C-B048-6295A4A5A6B8.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 107

ElNino

In the new movie, Neo's digital self is different if I understood right. Taking this idea further, I wonder if it's possible that some of the people in the pod whose gender is male but in the matrix the digital self is female and vise versa. Hmmm

Apparently in some iteration of the original Matrix script this was the case for the character named "Switch". (Which is actually another element borrowed from Neuromancer; in that book, the main character has a "switch" patched into his hardware deck that lets him effectively experience a female character's experiences through a neurosensory implant and feed.)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is too easy to use labels to attack TV, movies and other artistic endeavours. I am as guilty as anyone but on reflection these criticisms are usually misdirected, the problem is poor writing or poor story ideas and poor acting. I honestly think that a good writer can make a good movie or TV show incorporating just about any messaging, and a good actor should be able to make something out of poor material. Where I think the influence of politics has been catastrophic is the propensity of some critics and social media to denounce any adverse reaction as -ist, -phobic, woke etc and giving soft reviews because they felt compelled to support the messaging. I think that is true regardless of the political axe being wielded. Protecting producers from honest criticism just encourages more mediocrity. I think the labelling on both sides is poisonous. I want entertainment, something to move me, provoke thoughts, and something that will be criticised or lauded on the basis of how it works as a movie (noting that TV, movies, music etc have always provided platforms for messaging, just make the effort to write it into a great story, song or whatever). Seeing art as a proxy for a culture war and political ideology has turned me off so much.

To return to this movie, I stand by my initial response, it wasn't great but neither was it terrible, it is the sort of movie I'll watch again if I'm bored and it appears on a playlist but I am unlikely to go out of my way to watch it. That has nothing to do with any of the messaging or anything else, just my reaction to it as entertainment.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s unfortunately become the topic of every Hollywood film for the last half decade. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. The new lore can’t stay true to itself when it’s forced to make political accommodations to everyone and everything
Untrue. Star wars and star trek are way beyond our primative version of politics. Princess Leia was the strongest Skywalker in the entire series. The inclusion and acceptance of alien races was way beyond where we are as a species. Fight me that we are beyond where these series were in the 1960's and 1970's.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I thought the underlying story was really good.

Too bad the:
- acting
- cinematography
- direction
- dialogue

All sucked

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I enjoyed the first one for it's novel premise.
The rest sucked.
I'll watch this one sometime when I can get it for free.
I don't believe in paying rewards to folks for crap. ;)

audio2design

Major Contributor
Can we all agree that the Star Trek reboot with Chris Pine is the best modern reboot made?

On another note, Ghostbusters Afterlife was not awful.

usersky

Forum Donor
What the heck happened to Keanu Reeves? Did he forget how to act all of a sudden? The man has the same tone and mood during the entire movie.
Keanu Reeves never acted, he does the same mono-tone since 90s.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was excited to learn that Star Trek Picard season 2 will premire next month Feb 1
Are you serious? That f-boming Star Trek deconstruction is just an abomination. They should be ashamed for making that :facepalm:. Matrix resurrections is just disappointing, Picard is just downright evil.
And they say a season 3 has been given a green light.
Oh no :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are you serious? That f-boming Star Trek deconstruction is just an abomination.
Obviously millions are disagreeing with you.
I'm sure no one will miss you. ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the decline of Star Trek has been far worse than that for Star Wars.

In the case of Star Wars I think they ran out of ideas years ago and are just rehashing the same old formulae which now look very tired. And plot holes which weren't such a problem when the films were very good are now gaping and just ruin it for me. Why can't stormtroopers shoot straight? Why do the bad guys keep making super weapons with glaring holes in their defences or weaknesses making them easy to blow up? Why don't capital ships have point defence systems against fighters? Why don't they just use nuclear torpedoes to blow big things to bits? Why are droids and automated systems so useless given where even our far more primitive technology is with automated systems? How did the bad guys topple the Jedi order and take over the galaxy, then do it again under the first order when they're idiots led by idiots? And character development went down the plug, Finn started out as an interesting character only to be turned into the light relief idiot, Poe ended up going nowhere and was generally the butt of in jokes, Hux was pathetic, Rose Tico was clearly being developed into a major role only to be dumped etc etc.

However in the case of Star Trek I find Picard and Discovery quite objectionable with some plot lines that make the Star Wars sequels look almost coherent (if viewed from far enough away through squinted eyes and while drunk).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
viewed from far enough away through squinted eyes and while drunk).
That's what happens to a bozer.
Try smoking a big fat joint instead. ;)

Top Bottom