• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Matrix Resurrections what a horrible movie...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Keanu Reeves seems to be one of the nicest person in the Movies Business, perhaps a genuine good person... He's been a mediocre actor for as long a he has been well... acting. No range, one face, no emotion, nothing. Happy, sad , angry show the exact same face. He is as bad as they come but strangely has a fanbase. Guess he's lucky.
As for the las Matrix , I am not expecting much ... will watch it when available in my location..

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over the holidays I finished reading William Gibson's Neuromancer, the 1984 book that the original Matrix film draws very heavily from (even the title "the matrix" and the place called "Zion" came from Neuromancer, as did a ton of the concepts and characters, often down to their distinctive clothing). What I've realized is that the Wachowskis are really good at working with other people's material, and tend to drift when they're working with stuff they came up with. The parts in the original Matrix that really work well are mostly those that were inspired by other material, and the parts that worked less well are mostly those the Wachowskis added in themselves, inspired by Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation, a weird philosophy text. The second and third Matrix are basically chock-full of weird Baudrillard-inspired stuff and just ended up kind of impenetrable. Since Lana had to basically start from scratch on the fourth one, I'm not surprised the fourth Matrix movie just sucks.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh boy… what a disappointment this was… crappy acting, bad effects, poopy camera work, horrendous fighting, totally off editing, bad audio effects. Did I already mention the story? There wasn’t one! I don’t even know why the movie was over? It just ended! Goes to show that you don’t even need all the woke nonsense to ruin a movie. Great job one again Hollywood :facepalm: Feel really sorry for Keanu.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We watched the original right before watching Resurrections, kind of a double feature evening for us. I was struck by how well the original holds up today. The special effects while ground breaking at the time do not seem outdated compared to modern movie making. Also, I think the story line is more relatable today than it was in 1999 (the Metaverse, A.I., etc.).

Watching Resurrection immediately after the original I thought it was really bad. Really really bad. I checked out about a third of the way through. Was good to see Carrie-Anne Moss though, she's still a hottie.

IMO, Reeves was never a great actor, so I wasn't disappointed with his performance here.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
It is almost always the case that sequels never live up to the original, and IMO this certainly holds true with the 1999 original. Those of us who did hold the original trilogy in high regard were hoping that the new one would live up to its legacy, even though we knew in our heart of hearts that it would fall short.

In its own way, the original has had at least one profound impact upon our culture. Most everyone knows about the choice between taking the red and blue pills. Heck, here at AVS we commonly read a version of this, don't we? Isn't the DBT is the red pill?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Glad we watched it for "free" on HBO Max. Not nearly as good as the original trilogy. Overt reference to Warner Brothers was best moment as a laugh. Even Doogie Howser was unable to resurrect it! Maybe it was the single Wachoski instead of the earlier brothers now sisters is why it is not good. Maybe this the Wachoski version of "The Last Airbender"....

sonci99

It made me watch the first Matrix. What a movie it was!
It made me feel a bit younger..

zvukofor

We (me and my fellows) was not that impresssed with the first one (old cyberpunk ideas goes mass market, ha!), but it was made just fine as a movie, and the effects was pretty novel at that time, and those extreme colour grading.. the second one was weak, and i watched third part only 15 years later - meeh... the new one? — well, even Johnny Mnemonic is much better than this.

The same week i was watching Tenet - now that is a great movie! I watched it twice on the same day.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched Matrix Resurrections the day it came out on HBO. Some early reviews I saw said it was the best sequel for the series. They must have seen a different movie than I/my wife! What the heck happened to Keanu Reeves? Did he forget how to act all of a sudden?

um...you've seen his other movies, right? He does 'Keanu'. It's much the same in every role. You know what you're getting going in.....

The man has the same tone and mood during the entire movie. Even secondary actors sounded a lot more natural than him. And oh, all of a sudden he is not "the one?" Forgot to fly too?

they covered that in the movie, ad nauseam....I'm not saying that the explanations made any sense, or that it was a very good movie, just that these aren't critiques I'd have of it

It amazes me that people who make movies can't see when a project is going south early in the process and make course correction. I guess they get most of their money up front and could care less what the end result is.

This movie had two warring impulses at work: a meta-critique of sequels and franchises was one, and the more interesting by far... the other was simple fan service and nostalgia, which took over the flick after about 45 min, and got dull very fast.

bt3

Will offend saying I think there are so many excellent movies, sci-fi/fantasy oriented or not - so why waste time with this Matrix silliness.

temps

Perhaps the best explanation is this was an effort to extract more cash from the franchise. That the Wachowski brothers became the Wachowski sisters, is another story. I guess that's life in California.
the movie provides that explanation, itself, in the movie

they literally say, verbatim, "Warner Brothers is demanding a sequel. They'll make it with or without us. They'll kill our contract if we don't."

it is absolutely stunning to me how many people completely missed everything the movie was trying to say... even the super blatant, unusual stuff, that you'd think anybody would be able to pick up on because - for real - how many movies name drop the studio and have a montage about how they hate the idea of making a sequel so much, they (cuz Neo is clearly a stand-in for one or both of the Wachowskis at this point) try and kill themselves?

The entire thing is them clearly making the most of a situation they'd spent almost two full decades trying to prevent.. making fun of the people who didn't understand the original trilogy, trying to reclaim some of the red/blue pill stuff after it got co-opted by nazis, etc. Wildly ambitious. Not totally successfully. But one the most unique blockbusters and definitely the most unique sequel I've ever seen

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll watch it when it "comes around".

Same with Bladerunner 2049.

I like Daniel Craig's hard-nosed Bond, so No Time to Die on the list too.

That's all I can think of right now that I would like to see.

Should I last long enough.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the movie provides that explanation, itself, in the movie

they literally say, verbatim, "Warner Brothers is demanding a sequel. They'll make it with or without us. They'll kill our contract if we don't."

it is absolutely stunning to me how many people completely missed everything the movie was trying to say... even the super blatant, unusual stuff, that you'd think anybody would be able to pick up on because - for real - how many movies name drop the studio and have a montage about how they hate the idea of making a sequel so much, they (cuz Neo is clearly a stand-in for one or both of the Wachowskis at this point) try and kill themselves?

The entire thing is them clearly making the most of a situation they'd spent almost two full decades trying to prevent.. making fun of the people who didn't understand the original trilogy, trying to reclaim some of the red/blue pill stuff after it got co-opted by nazis, etc. Wildly ambitious. Not totally successfully. But one the most unique blockbusters and definitely the most unique sequel I've ever seen
If they had any integrity to the artists vision, they'd let them kill the contract and make one without them. It could hardly have been worse than what was made, and their name would not have been attached to it.

MartinEighty8

it is absolutely stunning to me how many people completely missed everything the movie was trying to say...
Tired of hearing this garbage. Assuming people must have missed the message of the movie, in order to say we don't understand it and is the reason we are criticising it is complete nonsense.

I got the message, it doesn't give the movie nor it's creators a pass or a good grading score. The message is trash and the delivery of the message is trash.

"It is meant to be bad and is telling us so, so it does it's job and is therefore good" is incredibly stupid. Incredibly.

Worst movie I have ever seen.

0/10

Top Bottom