• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Here is a question for those of you switching styli on AT VM95's or similar. Are the replacement styli the same overhang?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
More like small upgrades really but I really like the Oyaide BR12 mat. And the realiable flex light to see dust and small scratches on LPs
IMG_1262.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I have been swapping the Hana SL with the VM95SH multiple times and have come to a preliminary conclusion. The VM95SH at 47K with 38 db gain beats the Hana SL at 200 ohms with 56 db gain. Using Waxwing - capacitive load is 47 pf and bass rolloff set for 20 HZ - no other tweaks set on the Waxwing. The "spatiality" and bass response stand out more with the VM95SH. Other than that, they sound very very similar. I need to make up a load box to vary the cartridge loading of the Hana since the Waxwing only offers 200 ohms and 47K as choices. Set it for 47K and change the parallel load resistor in the box.
Having fun with it for sure!

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
The MC R loading only affect the level, nothing else. See “ Fun with Vinyl measurements”.
It would be interesting to see a frequency response plot of the Hana if you can run the Script for it.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The MC R loading only affect the level, nothing else. See “ Fun with Vinyl measurements”.
It would be interesting to see a frequency response plot of the Hana if you can run the Script for it.
Two things to do to run the script. First, get a test record. Second, get the script working on IOS.

Now, for something completely different. I mounted my > 15 year old Lyra Parnassus and it had serious skating issues. I’ve seen this before when the diamond goes “missing”. However, I could still see something on the cantilever. So, I ordered a $25 wireless microscope to inspect a bit better. After fiddling with it, I was able to get the below photos of the stylus. From certain angles it looks like a chunk is missing.…..

2024-02-23-23-55-27-546.jpeg
2024-02-23-23-53-49-186.jpeg
2024-02-23-23-51-50-337.jpeg
2024-02-23-23-50-05-129.jpeg
2024-02-23-23-30-45-808.jpeg

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Kind of hard to see what is wrong without a comparison.
JP and User can help with the script installation , Clearaudio test record CA TRS-1007 can be bought, CBS STR-100 is not as good but still a valid test reference. Could be your best Hifi investment ever.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Kind of hard to see what is wrong without a comparison.
JP and User can help with the script installation , Clearaudio test record CA TRS-1007 can be bought, CBS STR-100 is not as good but still a valid test reference. Could be your best Hifi investment ever.

I know it's hard to tell without a reference. However, it is supposed to be a nude Microline on a square shank. Image 2 is probably the clearest of what I think is wrong. The area in the back is missing the back part of the shank and what's missing extends to the tip of diamond. The "square" shank has 3 sides of a square but the back side is not the 4th side but 2 additional sides angling in towards the center. Doesn't look like any drawing or picture I've seen of Microlines.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's hard to tell without a reference. However, it is supposed to be a nude Microline on a square shank. Image 2 is probably the clearest of what I think is wrong. The area in the back is missing the back part of the shank and what's missing extends to the tip of diamond. The "square" shank has 3 sides of a square but the back side is not the 4th side but 2 additional sides angling in towards the center. Doesn't look like any drawing or picture I've seen of Microlines.
If you are looking for a fix, I recommend Steve Leung of VAS. He retipped my Hana ML and Hana SL.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You already had your Hana's re-tipped! Seems like you just got them. You must be spinning a lot of records.
The secret is that I had them retipped when I purchased them. I purchased both cartridge bodies for $50 - $100 each with broken styli and had them retipped for a substantially reduced cost from buying them new.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Put the Maestro 2 on this morning. Initial impressions - very similar sound signature the the VM95. Bass stands out with even greater spatialization of imaging. I don't hear the stridency I used to hear with the Clearaudio Satisfy Carbon arm. Difference from VM95 - same generator, different cantilever and diamond (boron with Clearaudio's HD Microline EDIT - shibata not microline) placed in an ebony body. Seems to work pretty good with the Sorane arm!

Last edited:
OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Played Herbie Hancock Future Shock LP for the first time since upgrading the tonearm today. Simply stunning, first time ever I could listen to both sides of this seriously “funky” recording and really get into the recording. I am no officially having “more fun than people should be allowed to have”!

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Finally got around to mounting my Denon 103 on the Sorane 17 gram headshell. Just a few album sides so far, but it reenforced my previous opinion that this is a great cartridge. I now have 4 cartridges mounted - Hana SL, Clearaudio Maestro 2, AT VM95SH, and Denon 103. To be honest, I think I could live with any of them long term. At present, I am liking the Hana and AT the best - more testing to be sure and these are not large differences between any of them.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Here is something different- a remake of a Lenco idler wheel turntable. A friend in a different state ordered one of these and seems to like it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Finally got around to mounting my Denon 103 on the Sorane 17 gram headshell. Just a few album sides so far, but it reenforced my previous opinion that this is a great cartridge. I now have 4 cartridges mounted - Hana SL, Clearaudio Maestro 2, AT VM95SH, and Denon 103. To be honest, I think I could live with any of them long term. At present, I am liking the Hana and AT the best - more testing to be sure and these are not large differences between any of them.

Im currently using the AT VM95ML, couldn't me more happy after upgrading from the Ortofon Red :) I think these AT carts are an amazing bang for your buck. might even upgrade to a VM740ML / 750SH :) if they are really good for 800-1000 hours its not even that crazy expensive :)

also just using stock head shells so far.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Martin Guitar is collaborating with U-Turn for a limited run of 25 turntables using old-growth sinker mahogany. Price is $1199 - I wonder if they will hold their value because of the wood and Martin logo.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
received recently yet another blue note reissue LP made by Optimal and while the LP sounds mostly fine the first track on one side has a bit of distortion that sounds like scratching sounds.
is this long line in the picture that looks like needle scratches "non-fill"?

so annoying to receive LPs like this. so far I had to return everything I ordered from Optimal / GZ .
the one blue note Poets made in the US is absolutely fine. also everything I ordered from Verve AS Series . but the stuff made in Europe.. 6 returns out of 8.

IMG_2224.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
received recently yet another blue note reissue LP made by Optimal and while the LP sounds mostly fine the first track on one side has a bit of distortion that sounds like scratching sounds.

so annoying to receive LPs like this. so far I had to return everything I ordered from Optimal / GZ .
the one blue note Poets made in the US is absolutely fine. also everything I ordered from Verve AS Series . but the stuff made in Europe.. 6 returns out of 8.

View attachment 366178

I have bought 2 new Bob James releases on the Evosound label - Expresso and Jazz Hands. Both were great recordings and perfect vinyl pressings. Highly recommended!

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

View attachment 366178
Look like crap , send it back

Top Bottom