• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can only imagine what it takes to do that landing. Incredible. :D The Toyota is cool too.

I swear Elon Musk just said, "I want the moon crater landing rocket from James Bond for real, but I want two of them to land together."

I have never been so enthralled as to watch that. It was an absolute highlight of the year and gave me a real faith in the human race actually doing stuff that was considered impossible or science fiction. I don't remember the moon landings- I was only 3 years old.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I swear Elon Musk just said, "I want the moon crater landing rocket from James Bond for real, but I want two of them to land together."

I have never been so enthralled as to watch that. It was an absolute highlight of the year and gave me a real faith in the human race actually doing stuff that considered impossible or science fiction. I don't remember the moon landings- I was only 3 years old.
I was blown away seeing it too. I'm interested to see what he does Friday when he reveals the neuro connection stuff.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had, nor do I still have an idea on wtf that was all about. I can make some infantile-level guesses, but is the film supposed to be open to interpretation or something?

Keep in mind that 2001 was produced at the height of the psychedelic era... the ending is like humanity's acid trip into some kind of deeper consciousness. It made more sense in the 1960s.

I don't have a problem with endings that are open to interpretation like 2001 or the original cut of Blade Runner. But movies where there is obviously intended to be only one answer but the director doesn't give the audience enough clues annoy me... I just feel it's underhanded to lead the audience along and then drop the audience at the end. Inception is worst for this IMHO. Nolan has said repeatedly in interviews that the last scene is intentionally intended to be ambiguous as to whether they're in the dream world or the real world. (It turns out that there is a solid answer, but it depends on a small detail that's basically impossible for the audience to figure out on a first viewing.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that 2001 was produced at the height of the psychedelic era... the ending is like humanity's acid trip into some kind of deeper consciousness. It made more sense in the 1960s.

I don't have a problem with endings that are open to interpretation like 2001 or the original cut of Blade Runner. But movies where there is obviously intended to be only one answer but the director doesn't give the audience enough clues annoy me... I just feel it's underhanded to lead the audience along and then drop the audience at the end. Inception is worst for this IMHO. Nolan has said repeatedly in interviews that the last scene is intentionally intended to be ambiguous as to whether they're in the dream world or the real world. (It turns out that there is a solid answer, but it depends on a small detail that's basically impossible for the audience to figure out on a first viewing.)
I figured it out on the first viewing as did two of my friends. Three others if our group didn't, and weren't sure when we told them.

I saw 2001 when it was released very much in that time. Expected something special from Clarke. Was very dissatisfied.

Being old enough to have seen and remember the moon landing was very special. Unforgettable feelings.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
You Only Live Twice (1967) had rockets that landed vertically just like Elon Musk's Space X rockets in 2018. ;)

Insightful and relevant.

And has hot girls, car chases and exotic locations, along with groovy set pieces and a Toyota GT-2000.

View attachment 80998

2001, A Space Yawn is not in the same league...

Wow, I better revisit that one on Blu-ray soon ...

* I just found out that Tenet is in theaters in Canada since August 26. ...Some.
I'll see if I can find a safe one, empty and totally sanitized ...

ta240

Major Contributor
I do think that based on the Nolan movies I have seen, he may be partially deaf, or he just hires deaf sound production people. Indistinct dialogue and annoying low frequency noise ruins otherwise OK films.

That high pitched sound that ran over most of Dunkirk was the worst for me. Now when Doctors ask what my pain level is if it is bad I'll say "its like watching Dunkirk"

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.
More complicated than grounding best practice..

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Very good point...released one year after 1967 (Summer of Love, Vietnam War, Race Riots in USA) , and two years after 1966 (Revolver - The Beatles).
...And 2 years before Zabriskie Point (Michelangelo Antonioni).
...And 7 years before Jaws (Steven Spielberg).
...And 9 years before Star Wars (George Lucas).
...And 11 years before Alien, and 14 years before Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, both).

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That high pitched sound that ran over most of Dunkirk was the worst for me. Now when Doctors ask what my pain level is if it is bad I'll say "its like watching Dunkirk"
I didn't notice that with Dunkirk, but I sure noticed a high pitched tone during Interstellar. Not to mention overly bright, harsh sound, and dull hard to resolve vocals.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

I have never been so enthralled as to watch that. It was an absolute highlight of the year and gave me a real faith in the human race actually doing stuff that was considered impossible or science fiction. I don't remember the moon landings- I was only 3 years old.

Yes, that was quite a sight to behold.
The third one landed in the ocean instead of the boat platform...just a slight glitch.

The moon landing was much safer, but also much earlier. Too bad they don't have jungles and mountains and wildlife on the moon...or I wouldn't mind right now.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Interesting, I need to revisit Dunkirk and pay attention.

Inception is pretty far out, and so is Memento and The Prestige.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I need to revisit Dunkirk and pay attention.

Inception is pretty far out, and so is Memento and The Prestige.
They had a droning high pitch sound instead of the engine noise of the fighter aircraft from inside and even outside. It gave the movie a sense of suspense and mystery. I noticed it too.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Saw the movie yesterday. Boy it was an good watch. Still my mind boggles about the timeline, especially of the last part. Will have to watch it again to fully grasp every detail :)
I'm glad such a big movie premiered, and I hope it will do this business good.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Christopher Nolan is no David Mamet. Now here we have a true spoken language filmmaker with coherence. Nolan's is more the flamboyant grandiose motion picture score type...the film music soundtracks, and the very polished and gorgeous cinematography.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Christopher Nolan is no David Mamet. Now here we have a true spoken language filmmaker with coherence. Nolan's is more the flamboyant grandiose motion picture score type...the film music soundtracks, and the very polished and gorgeous cinematography.
I think Nolan is a little bit like Orson Welles as a film maker. He likes to mess with what you thought were solid perceptions about how things work. And what things are.

Onto another topic, knowing obviously that the title Tenet is a palindrome, I ran across that it is in the most famous of all palindromes the Sator Square. And that a few character names in the film use other parts of that square.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sator_Square

1599279131486.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom