• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.

ririt

Alan, thanks for your feedback. It is on my list of movies to see in the coming days. Your feedback sounds very similar to the one of my son who saw Tenet yesterday evening....

Hemi-Demon

Nolan is one of the greatest. I can't wait to see it, streaming. No way I am going inside a theater :p.

I remeber having to watch Memento backwards to figure it out.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.
... like those watching "2001" for the first time?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I typically need to watch Nolan movies at least twice to make sense of them. Can't wait for the 4K blu-ray!

Reactions: EJ3

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I want to see it because I love very hard challenges @ the movies, and 'Tenet' is exactly within that boundary. Anything Christopher Nolan touches I want to see.

Here in North America we are not ready yet for the challenge...it'll come.

Right on!

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Apparently it's a film where the intention is to get cinema-goers to make multiple return visits to "work it all out". Of course making more $.

@March Audio How was the sound? ;)
Yes that seems like the intent and I'm sure it would start to make more sense if you watched it multiple times.

Well our local cinema is a fairly small one, it's not up to the class of the best I have been in. However we do want to support the cinema as covid will have crippled their revenues.

It was certainly very loud. I'm assuming the director wanted that way. I would note that dialogue was sometimes indistinct which I think was down to the film sound mix and not the cinema.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Alan, thanks for your feedback. It is on my list of movies to see in the coming days. Your feedback sounds very similar to the one of my son who saw Tenet yesterday evening....
It's a case of (without trying to give spoilers) "yes I get the premise of what's happening here but I am unconvinced the action and events are consistent with that premise and what would/could happen".

I'm overthinking it, I recommend you don't over think it, its SciFi . Just let it wash over you otherwise your brain will start to hurt.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I look forward to it as well on streaming. Both to stay safe, and in this case to be able to watch it again a time or three. I'll likely get a few friends together the first time however, and pester them to figure it out after we've watched it just once.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
... like those watching "2001" for the first time?

I had, nor do I still have an idea on wtf that was all about. I can make some infantile-level guesses, but is the film supposed to be open to interpretation or something?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't spoil before Friday , then i'll go , I try to watch every nolan movie :) liked inception and interstellar very much and batman and mememnto ofcourse

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That sounds like a Christopher Nolan's flick.

I do think that based on the Nolan movies I have seen, he may be partially deaf, or he just hires deaf sound production people. Indistinct dialogue and annoying low frequency noise ruins otherwise OK films. The only one I've watched twice is Interstellar and I fell asleep the second time around. The rest got watched once, even though I have several in my collection.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had, nor do I still have an idea on wtf that was all about. I can make some infantile-level guesses, but is the film supposed to be open to interpretation or something?
My interpretation is it being the most over-rated SciFi movie ever. Also the most boring. I love most of Arthur C. Clarke's work, but this movie just didn't do it for me. I love most of Kubrick, but this movie didn't do it for me. Low points for both fellows IMO.

I think my favorite Nolan film is Memento followed by Inception.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kubrick's movies have open endings -- I guess he wanted to leave the viewer with more questions than answers (or maybe he was just a pretentious bore :) ). For me, '2001' is one long musing about the meaning of (human) life wrapped in a stunning anticipation of space travel and computer technology. For a movie made 2 years before the Moon landings and 15 years before the IBM PC, its suggesting that an AI would have to go through a type of childhood to become human-like remains amazingly insightful and relevant. I saw it around 1970 when I was about 15 and it completely bowled me over.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For a movie made 2 years before the Moon landings and 15 years before the IBM PC, its suggesting that an AI would have to go through a type of childhood to become human-like remains amazingly insightful and relevant.

You Only Live Twice (1967) had rockets that landed vertically just like Elon Musk's Space X rockets in 2018. ;)

Insightful and relevant.

And has hot girls, car chases and exotic locations, along with groovy set pieces and a Toyota GT-2000.

1599037267458.png

2001, A Space Yawn is not in the same league...

Top Bottom