• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

TonioRoffo

This is why we need night mode or dynamic compression on some soundtracks, to have comfortable listening at home.

Things were better when THX was around. Most people remember THX for the mad intros, but actually it was just a set of norms to watch (and hear) a movie as perfectly as possible. It went as far as theatre exit lights shining on the projection screen being mentioned.

For audio, 85dB absolute was set as reference "0 dB" and the dialogue should be 20dB under that, IIRC.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
They should go back to THX, .... Tenet would benefit (center channel - spoken language).

BostonJack

Editor

BostonJack

Editor
I mean a perhaps Christian, perhaps Jewish palindromic spell, used for magic and associated with the Greek serpent god of medicine, Asclepius should definitely just clear things up, right?

glad to have been of service.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
this article in vox.com says the twistedness of Tenet is related to a 4-way palindromic square, discovered in A.D. 79 and in various subsequent sites and times in Europe:

https://www.vox.com/culture/21419050/tenet-explained-sator-square-nolan

(I did not read past the spoiler alert, so don't ask me!)

I've read a bunch of articles on Tenet and fan's theories and all that jazz...including the 4-way palindromic square. I figure everyone else did too. I'm waiting for the 4K Blu-ray...multiple viewing times @ home, saving money, saving lives, and play.
I'm ready to turn the center channel way up, or use the optional subtitles if I have too (English...or French).

I would check it out @ the theater, but I'm just too chicken nowadays.
I don't mind waiting for it on my favorite video medium...it feels not only safer but also money savings sound. ...Solid.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I mean a perhaps Christian, perhaps Jewish palindromic spell, used for magic and associated with the Greek serpent god of medicine, Asclepius should definitely just clear things up, right?

glad to have been of service.

If that flick would have an antidote or a vaccine for COVID-19 (one guaranteed and certified to work...by the world health association ... WHO), I would buy my ticket online right away without any one more second to pass me by.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.

Half the dialog is unintelligible, which adds to the confusion factor. We should start a best Tenet quotes thread. Here's my favorite ...

"Herstudoid blovinabob is the ardunalo setropsky"

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw it in a Dolby Cinema.

The butt shakers were tuned up more than my liking and in places I only understood a bit of the dialogue (when he is walking down the sidewalk with the Indian lady, I pretty much didn’t understand her).

Spoilers:
I didn’t quite understand why they did the temporal pincer attack (I understood why the bad guys did it, like for the chase scene). Other than that, I wasn’t confused.
Never mind, looked it up and understood why.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Nolan is getting more complicated with each new film ... but that's his charm, appeal.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Along with being a lip reader.

That won't help - because much of the unintelligible dialog is said behind some type of mask where you can't see the lips move.

Yes, I'm a little triggered by this. Ok, a lot triggered. I believe its inexcusable and unacceptable for the dialog to be recorded that poorly. Particularly when much of the dialog is exposition explaining the premise and driving the plot. Luckily, the *really* important points are repeated 3 or 4 times, so you have a better chance to catch it and have some idea whats going on.

I'm reminded of a David Lynch film (don't remember which one). A scene was set in a club and to make the sound realistic the music was turned super loud and drowned out the dialog. So in that scene, and that scene only, there were captions. I thought that was brilliant - cause it really sounded like a people talking in a club.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked it very much , but I need the blue ray and watch it several times as a non native English speaker I watch some movies with and some without subtitles in my own language.

Dialog in most action flicks are somewhat confusing anyway screaming to each other in an exploding helicopter with someone else boot in your face does that :)o_O

Did not think about the bad dialogue scene due to subtitles in the cinema and our local cinema is not an high end imax, thought it was down to rapid dialogue “action movie style”

intaud

Forum Donor
Kubrick's movies have open endings -- I guess he wanted to leave the viewer with more questions than answers (or maybe he was just a pretentious bore :) ). For me, '2001' is one long musing about the meaning of (human) life wrapped in a stunning anticipation of space travel and computer technology. For a movie made 2 years before the Moon landings and 15 years before the IBM PC, its suggesting that an AI would have to go through a type of childhood to become human-like remains amazingly insightful and relevant. I saw it around 1970 when I was about 15 and it completely bowled me over.

I read the book 2001 prior to watching the movie and frankly I don't see how anyone could fully understand the movie without reading the book.

I am looking forward to seeing Tenet.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That won't help - because much of the unintelligible dialog is said behind some type of mask where you can't see the lips move.

Yes, I'm a little triggered by this. Ok, a lot triggered. I believe its inexcusable and unacceptable for the dialog to be recorded that poorly. Particularly when much of the dialog is exposition explaining the premise and driving the plot. Luckily, the *really* important points are repeated 3 or 4 times, so you have a better chance to catch it and have some idea whats going on.

I'm reminded of a David Lynch film (don't remember which one). A scene was set in a club and to make the sound realistic the music was turned super loud and drowned out the dialog. So in that scene, and that scene only, there were captions. I thought that was brilliant - cause it really sounded like a people talking in a club.
I would be triggered by it. Not a first in Nolan movies. I know they do test screenings with test audiences and have to think this comes up. I see no artistic benefit for mushy unintelligible dialog. Just fix it. If I had a movie released with some dialog I here done so poorly I'd see to it the sound people don't get paid and/or would not use them again.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The state of the movie affairs (Tenet's impacting influence from the box office) ...
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/w...ected-to-delay-theatrical-release-1234584121/

Dune is delayed now. Wonder Woman 1984? ...Her too.
The Batman? Do we really need another Bat movie!
Sure why not it's the year of the Rat (Chinese 2020). And the bat might be our pandemic culprit. Bring them all on, to a theater near you. And don't forget your bat mask ...

Top Bottom