• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 27 10.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 225 85.2%

• Total voters

cheapmessiah

@amirm I hope I'm not mistaken but this seems to be the Sonata BHD Pro version.

I'm also wondering if this could power an amp since it is 2v/4v unbal/bal output.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review, looks great.
Hope you are feeling better soon @amirm

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, why do you review and recommend things? First it was the Dan Clark Stealth and I had to buy those; now it's this dongle, which I've just ordered. Are you trying to send me to the poorhouse? (Admittedly this dongle was a lot easier to buy than the Stealth 'phones. But still...)
+1

I will also purchase it. Will pay with my credit card. And , send the notarized invoice to @amirm. Will update the collective on his response.

:p

Peace

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
@amirm I hope I'm not mistaken but this seems to be the Sonata BHD Pro version.

I'm also wondering if this could power an amp since it is 2v/4v unbal/bal output.
I think you are correct. This does look to be the Pro model. FYI @amirm

Gadgety

Great to see it tested. Tempotec also has the Sonata HD Pro at half the price, which uses one CS14131 vs two used in the BHD. It seems to get favorable reviews and has DAC performance that isn't far off the BHD in terms of the (rather sparse) specs Tempotec presents. Would be nice to see how that compares.

staticV3

Master Contributor

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Amir tested it long time ago and it did better than Wolf's sample while Amir's Hidizs S8 (all the same) did even better. We had discussions about it and Meizu dongles then... And it's about 30$ right now on Ally for Android (cable) version (as close to Meizus promise as it could be regarding price).

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review @amirm
Isn't this the "PRO" version? I have the impression that the tempotec sonata BHD looks different and has a cable attached.
This pro version is also more expensive I believe (90$ tempotec shop)
Yes, looks like it, even though it doesn't seem to say so on the device itself. £69 at Amazon UK.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, looks like it, even though it doesn't seem to say so on the device itself. £69 at Amazon UK.
That's a good price but if its the same listing I've just looked at... It's an amazon us import with 1 to 2 month wait. Not sure how fees and taxes are handled I this scenario either,

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Bicep

As someone quite new to all of this. What would be the benefit of using a smsl su1 compared to this in a desktop setup?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Price went up.

I wonder if they upped the price after this review was published.
Screenshot_20230916-125903.png

Top Bottom