• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD, a better budget option than the HD Pro?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now TempoTec has released the Sonata E35 for 70 usd, also a dual CS43131 design with physical buttons, but with 3.5 mm phone output.
I see little point on spending +24 usd over their fine Sonata HD Pro for 46 usd.

H4a1898521efb417596bbd47ce683e27dC.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If one really wans a dual CS43131 with 3.5 mm phone out but without physical buttons there is also the iBasso DC03 for 56 usd.
So strange pricing for the Sonata E35...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is only single Dac.
No, it is not. The Sonata E35 is a dual CS43131 as their ad shows.

AliExpress?? Ohh no, expect some trouble!!!
I linked the TempoTec official store on Aliexpress. Also there is nothing wrong with Aliexpress, I have dozens of purchases over there. Don't blame the market place, blame the vendors if you got problems.

Nango

Major Contributor

I linked the TempoTec official store on Aliexpress. Also there is nothing wrong with Aliexpress, I have dozens of purchases over there. Don't blame the market place, blame the vendors if you got problems.
No, the one you mentioned for 46$ is single dac.

Nango

Major Contributor

Senseless to open a dispute they never will answer, overdue by 4 weeks and no decision by AliExpress. Soon or later, expect trouble from them. Would never never spend more than one digit purchases there .

Veri

Master Contributor
Senseless to open a dispute they never will answer, overdue by 4 weeks and no decision by AliExpress. Soon or later, expect trouble from them. Would never never spend more than one digit purchases there .
I've gotten my requested refund amount on every dispute on ali. I mean it's not perfect but it more than suffices as a marketplace that has a lot of cheap stuff. Haven't really been disappointed, so far. Of course I do prefer a more local dealer with longer warranty, if that's available.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the one you mentioned for 46$ is single dac.
Yes, agreed, the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is a single DAC dongle. But the point is that using a dual DAC in other products and achieving a similar THD+N, then what is the point of spending extra for the dual DAC? Crosstalk is not that much better either on dual DAC product, so I see no point (same as IVX btw).

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
this e35 should show up on amazon soon. the HD pro is so convenient i wouldn't mind paying +20 bucks for another one that might have better performance. i could use a dac connected to my sim racing rig so i don't have to run a long cable to the desktop dac.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this e35 should show up on amazon soon. the HD pro is so convenient i wouldn't mind paying +20 bucks for another one that might have better performance. i could use a dac connected to my sim racing rig so i don't have to run a long cable to the desktop dac.
I would not mind paying +20 usd for better performance, problem is that there is no measurably better performance on their specs! So why bother?

atomicminded

I just got mine today. I'm gonna guess around 110 sinad. Using my balanced fostex dynamic headphones, it does drive them to decent loudness. I notice that the last hardware volume step is rather large, and I can hear some clipping. So I usually stay 2-4 steps from the highest volume level. I might send it in for analysis, after some more listening time on it.

atomicminded

Interesting, so I went and downloaded the latest firmware here: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/3-Support/index.htm

Seems as if the volume control is better. I notice clipping in the last 2 steps of volume, and the hardware volume controls are smoother.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got mine today. I'm gonna guess around 110 sinad. Using my balanced fostex dynamic headphones, it does drive them to decent loudness. I notice that the last hardware volume step is rather large, and I can hear some clipping. So I usually stay 2-4 steps from the highest volume level. I might send it in for analysis, after some more listening time on it.
How do you guess SINAD?

atomicminded

Top Bottom