• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SB-C700 Review (Coaxial Bookshelf)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 148 59.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 66 26.5%

• Total voters

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which one do you Listen to more?
Do you interchange or two separate systems?
Interchange. I only intended to keep one set but have had a hard time deciding which I prefer. I've now applied Amir's adjustment at 1 4khz and employed bass adjustment up to 300hz via ARC and will see how that does. I have the white which I think are quite fetching.

Attachments

• PXL_20220205_175114406.jpg
    PXL_20220205_175114406.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 212
  • PXL_20220205_175311184.jpg
    PXL_20220205_175311184.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 204

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interchange. I only intended to keep one set but have had a hard time deciding which I prefer. I've now applied Amir's adjustment at 1 4khz and employed bass adjustment up to 300hz via ARC and will see how that does. I have the white which I think are quite fetching.
Nice, and the M106 finish?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Right now I have many speakers here at home, either owned or borrowed. (doing a bunch of research)

Currently my favorites are the KEF R3 and the JBL 4309. Two such very different speakers, yet both sound so intangibly good.
If I had to pick I would easily take the 4309, not even a question on that. (I should mention the 4309 is mine while the KEF is semi permanently here) Yet if I had to recommend a speaker to someone else I would have them try both of these units and try a Revel as well to get a feel for a few different presentations that are great but notably different.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now I have many speakers here at home, either owned or borrowed. (doing a bunch of research)

Currently my favorites are the KEF R3 and the JBL 4309. Two such very different speakers, yet both sound so intangibly good.
If I had to pick I would easily take the 4309, not even a question on that. (I should mention the 4309 is mine while the KEF is semi permanently here) Yet if I had to recommend a speaker to someone else I would have them try both of these units and try a Revel as well to get a feel for a few different presentations that are great but notably different.
Revel is my go to but always wanted to try a KEF R3

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 200 hz boost and the 4 db bass reduce give the tubby sound. i get such a FR as the technics in my room with all speakers. it sound arghh horrible. It is important for this technics to reduce 200 hz 2-3 db. then get more clarity. the low bass is better as the revel. at 40 hz it is 5 db more.

There is no boost at 200 Hz? This really doesn't make sense.
Amir's use of the trend line is basically subjective on his part(Which is perfectly fine) and can be deceiving if one doesn't understand this. This overlay is a perfect example as compared with the trend lines he uses for the same two speakers.
Yeah, that's why I always import the data into REW or if I'm short on time, match scaling in photoshop. These days I tend to use the region around 200-400Hz to match comparisons because it seems that's where people tend to anchor their impressions of spectral balance. Here's one such anecdote per olive 2004 part 1:

"An interesting trend is that the lowest variance in spectral ratings occurred with band 3 (227 Hz), and to a lesser extent, band 4. One possible explanation for this is that listeners may use this band as an anchoring or reference point for judging the balance of the loudspeaker. This seems logical since the harmonic fundamentals of many instruments, including voice, fall within this range."

Paper 2, the famous preference score paper, elaborates:

" The use of a reference band of 200-400 Hz is based on an observation made in Part One (see section 4.8 of [1]). When asked to judge the spectral balance of each loudspeaker across 6 frequency bands, listeners referenced or anchored their judgments to the band centered around 200 Hz. One plausible explanation is that many of the fundamentals of instruments, including voice, fall within 200-400 Hz, and the levels of the higher harmonics are referenced to it."

Not sure if there is a more specific paper that studies this phenomenon, but it's interesting and totally makes sense to me.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical Panasonic, they make great consumer electronics with near 0 marketing, polar opposite to Sony
Also, it seems they recently announceda new model, the C600

Panasonic appears to be marketing vaporware though. No C600 here AFAIK! :confused:

Geert

Major Contributor
There is no boost at 200 Hz?
There is when you draw the average estimated in room response a bit differently, aligned to the mids. That results in a tubby sound character:
IMG_20220205_211508.png

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The 200 hz boost and the 4 db bass reduce give the tubby sound. i get such a FR as the technics in my room with all speakers. it sound arghh horrible. It is important for this technics to reduce 200 hz 2-3 db. then get more clarity. the low bass is better as the revel. at 40 hz it is 5 db more.
Unless your room is huge you are in the frequency range where the room is very dominate and as well the SBIR could be affecting the sound tremendously depending on placement from the walls.
What are you using to measure in room and what are you doing to mitigate these factors? (if anything)
It would also be helpful to know how far you placed the drive units from the boundaries and what size the room is.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Really? Scroll down further and they are Out of Stock…

Anybody able to confirm they actually own one?
Yes, I know they are out of stock.
The idea is that they are listed and that means they are likely really coming out here.
You stated they are "marketing vaporware" and I was attempting to confirm it looks like they are not vaporware but rather about to arrive.
They are a brand new product announced in early winter, with various delays I don't think that anyone owns a pair here yet though it must be getting close via the MD listing that now allows ordering them.

They are now listed on the USA Technics site as well.

Looks to be an interesting design and perhaps an upgrade in some ways and a engineering downgrade in others.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea is that they are listed and that means they are likely really coming out here.
You stated they are "marketing vaporware" and I was attempting to confirm it looks like they are not vaporware but rather about to arrive.
They are a brand new product announced in early winter, with various delays I don't think that anyone owns a pair here yet though it must be getting close via the MD listing that now allows ordering them.

Looks to be an interesting design and perhaps an upgrade in some ways and a engineering downgrade in others.

I hope you are right, but the context of my response was to an earlier post claiming Panasonic's "near zero marketing".

Given the pandemic supply chain issues, may be just part of the new reality, but that press release was from September 2021. So, my point is that there seems to only be marketing to date. Time will tell. The quoted musicdirect price is already much lower than the C700, but if you click on the C600 SHOP link on the US Technics site, you get a 404...

1644100394742.png

Maybe more proof of marginal marketing? If one bad review helped do in the C700, would think they would be very careful about the go-to-market message for apparent successor.

If it were my product, under the circumstances, I would ensure that eval units were getting in the hands of reviewers and managing expectations on the C600's availability. So far, all we have is wishful thinking and without any market message, potential customers give up and go buy something else.

Maybe we should make an appeal for Amir to get a review sample?

Everett T

Forum Donor

I highly doubt that there will be any of these available for purchase but feel free to attempt, I've got a strong feeling that the order will get kicked back. I just don't see how they have manufacturing to backup marketing based on their history.

SmackDaddies

How can anything that costs this much and needs EQ be rated anything other than poor?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First impression was that the tonality was correct. Yet track after track did not impress. Some sounded a bit tubby, some a bit bright. Both of these were indicated in the measurements but correcting them didn't improvement things.

In comparison, the SB-C700 has that broad dip. I put in a quick and dirty boost there and improvement was substantial

Thanks @Jmudrick and @amirm! I’ve owned a pair of these for a bit now but never got around to measuring them - I never wanted to take them out of the system they were in!

My guess from your comments you listened to them toed in such that you were listening on axis. IMO these speakers sound best firing straight ahead. The slight HF attenuation balances out the mids and opens up the soundstage.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also doubt that the SB-C600 is a direct successor of the SB-C700, here in Germany a pair of C600 costs 1000€ while the C700 price had even risen to 1500€. Also 5" vs 6" and simpler rectangular enclosures. Its a shame that their availability and is rather poor as they are very good loudspeakers, had heard both the SB-C700 and flagship SB-R1 when they were presented in 2014.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Thanks @Jmudrick and @amirm! I’ve owned a pair of these for a bit now but never got around to measuring them - I never wanted to take them out of the system they were in!

My guess from your comments you listened to them toed in such that you were listening on axis. IMO these speakers sound best firing straight ahead. The slight HF attenuation balances out the mids and opens up the soundstage.
Mine are so aimed.

Larry B. Larabee

Im not sure where "this much" EQ comes from? Can you explain please?
He said 'costs' this much. Anyway 2db at 1400 hz isn't EQ that's sitting up straight or slouching, whatever.

Amir always says 'So switched out the speaker with Revel M105. Wow, oh wow!' Am I missing the point of this review site or is there some reason for anyone here not to just go out and buy the revels and be done with it?

Top Bottom