• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tascam 102i Review (Audio Interface)

Bergante

I know Linux compatibility isn't important to many because they use other operating systems. This could be the reason why many manufacturers do not provide any information about the Linux compatibility of their devices, mainboards, etc. in their specifications. That's why I'm always grateful to find information about it on the net. It doesn't matter whether I want to build a barebone PC or just use a USB sound interface with Linux, as in the current example
Linux compatibility is a good thing because it means USB audio class compliance. No need for special drivers to make it work. It also means you can use it with iPhone/iPad multitrack audio apps.

So it is important! ;)

What I don't like about the device is the MINI-USB connector. This could be a reliability issue in the future.

Actually it's a USB-C which is an entirely different beast. It's much more reliable than the previous terrible mini/micro USB connectors, it's reversible and, more important, USB-C is much more flexible in device powering.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
A small problem with Linux on the Tascam US-1x2HR I have still found. Under Windows and Mac OS you get a GUI with which you can select different level settings, routing and stereo / mono. I can not get to it with Linux. But I do not need it for my application.

Carlangas

May I ask for some help interpreting the tests' results of the ADC specially?
I see the main problem is high distortion:
- how bad is it? will that affect recordings with condenser mics? (-33dBV output, 15db self noise, for classical guitar, vocals, acoustic instruments)
- ADC SINAD of 92, what does it mean?
- Will a Scarlett Gen 3 (ADC SINAD 102) make a significant improvement for the application above?

I am interested in the US 4x4 variant (older, not HR model) because of its low price (used). I think they should have the same or very similar preamp and ADC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom