• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Kensington GR vs Revel F208

veeceem

I'm using a pair of Kensington GR but plan to switch to a pair of Revel instead, the brand is here but no audition, so I have to buy blind if I want to.
I'm eyeing on Revel F208, but wonder if this would be an upgrade to my "neutral" goal? If not, just feel free to give another option in Revel lines.
My room is ~25m2. Budget of $10000 or less. Price:performance is prefered.
Thanks
Some of Ken.GR measurements
Comments on Ken.GR is appreciated
Source: https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/745-tannoy-kensington-gr.html?start=4

tannoy-kensngton-gr-fr1.jpg
tannoy-kensngton-gr-z.jpg
tannoy-kensngton-gr-delay-g.jpg
tannoy-kensngton-gr-delay-m.jpg

OP
V

veeceem

At risk of being labelled as resident "annoying anti-passive" guy, why not consider an active solution with this kind of money? I mean, we're on ASR, and the benefits of active crossovers/multi-amping aren't a trade secret.
I dont understand your meaning :( I have no technical knowledge, so its hard to really understand the graphs, thats why im asking for recommedations

MSNWatch

Or room correct with what you already have and for a much smaller financial outlay you will get a more substantive improvement than getting another 10k speaker without room correction. No matter what that speaker is.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I dont understand your meaning :( I have no technical knowledge, so its hard to really understand the graphs, thats why im asking for recommedations
Here are some articles to get up to speed:
https://sound-au.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm
https://sound-au.com/bi-amp.htm
https://sound-au.com/bi-amp2.htm

and a quote from one of these about the final benefits:
"Effectively (up to) twice the 'real' power of the amplifiers themselves
Reduced intermodulation distortion
Elimination of the low frequency passive crossover, its inherent losses, potentially poor linearity and crossover point inaccuracy
Reduction of the difficulty of the load presented to the power amplifier
No padding is required to align the driver sensitivities, so we are not simply wasting power
The damping factor is greatly improved for both the low and midrange loudspeakers
Complete freedom from any interaction between the loudspeaker driver (and its environment) and the crossover network
Cost savings, since complex passive crossover networks are not needed
Bi-wiring is included free!
The flexibility to choose amplifiers which are at their best within a defined frequency range
Ability to match amplifier power to the exact requirements of the drivers for maximum overall efficiency"

To make it even simpler, I suggest you look at this, seeing your budget and acoustic space:
* Neumann KH310
* Genelec 8341A or 8351B with the GLM kit (assuming you use Windows or MacOS)
I'd recommend the Grimm or Dutch&Dutch too, but these seem too big to me (and I prefer industrial designs).

I might add that others are right: digital room correction is a VERY cheap and significative improvement. It'd be foolish to not use it.
I say that, but even after buying a cheap Behringer mic, I still haven't done it even if I just need to drc-fir -> brutefir my system. Laziness will be my death.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
The most logical would be:

* Retouch the frequency response from a minimum phase PEQ. Once satisfied, Rephase is used to generate a filter convolution.

* After a while, you decide if you want to buy a measuring microphone and learn how to do it, stay as you are or buy some new loudspeakers. In my second system, listening usually in the near field and having measurements made by others is not necessary.

The least logical thing is to change the boxes, because in themselves they are very good. With small tweaks you will have the feeling of better speakers. You can also use a DSP to modify the sound.

And that without entering the acoustics of the room, which I suppose you will have a little conditioned already to have such expensive speakers.

Here we can help you, you just have to be willing to acquire new skills and knowledge.

astr0b0y

@maty has a good suggestion. Nice speakers already, by many accounts. Trying an automated room correction/EQ device might be quite rewarding. For about a 10th of your budget you could try a 2 channel Dirac system and get expert help in setting it up.

OP
V

veeceem

@maty has a good suggestion. Nice speakers already, by many accounts. Trying an automated room correction/EQ device might be quite rewarding. For about a 10th of your budget you could try a 2 channel Dirac system and get expert help in setting it up.
Any suggestions of dirac system? Thanks

OP
V

veeceem

That will ultimately depend on the pieces of the rest of your system (source(s), amplification setup) but their simplest solution should fit in most situations. This one, don’t forget to add a measurement mic to the budget ($100). https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24
Found its bigger brother measurement by amirm - miniDSP SHD. Guess I'll try it out. Can be use as DAC+preamp and XLR is aplus :)
Thanks

Tom C

Major Contributor
This thread was timely, as I’m in nearly the identical situation. Thank you to the people who gave their replies.
I have an old Audessy mic from a previous AVR purchase. Is it adequate, or is a $100 mic required for optimal results?

astr0b0y

This thread was timely, as I’m in nearly the identical situation. Thank you to the people who gave their replies.
I have an old Audessy mic from a previous AVR purchase. Is it adequate, or is a $100 mic required for optimal results?
The Audessy mic may be fine however you won't have access to its calibration data which may make its effectiveness poor.

Top Bottom