• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T+A speakers and their directivity

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Normally, I'm all for T&A, but...

OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like the midwoofer and the tweeter are more than a wavelength apart at the crossover frequency (at least for the s2000). XO specd at 2000 hz, and my estimate of separation at 7.5 or 8 inches. I'm not sure why they didn't squeeze them a bit closer together. Even with the waveguides there is substantial baffle space betwee them. That's going to lead to some irregularity in the midrange dispersion.
Those are at 5,9 inches apart. Center to center. Wavelength of 2000hz is 6.75. This looks odd only because the tweeter doesn’t have a faceplate, as they wanted no screws or boarder between the faceplates and baffles. The baffle is a single CNC Wood unit. Anyway, don’t know what exactly is it’s directivity but to me, sounded really homogeneous off axis too.

BenB

Those are at 5,9 inches apart. Center to center. Wavelength of 2000hz is 6.75. This looks odd only because the tweeter doesn’t have a faceplate, as they wanted no screws or boarder between the faceplates and baffles. The baffle is a single CNC Wood unit. Anyway, don’t know what exactly is it’s directivity but to me, sounded really homogeneous off axis too.
I'm glad the mid and tweeter are closer together than I estimated, which implies that the lobing and dipsersion at the crossover frequency wont be as bad/different when compared to other frequencies. I still wonder why they didn't move them closer together. The lip of the top woofer cut-out actually looks to be closer to the tweeter than the lip of the midrange cutout. That's an odd choice. But speakers (like all engineering projects) are a combination of compromises, so maybe there's a reason. I doubt I would make the compromise they did, but I take vertical dispersion more seriously than most speaker designers.

8bits

The S 530 and S 540 look bonkers! Did anyone review them? Are there measurements online? Or has anyone here heard them somewhere that would like to describe how they sound?
Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 10.59.48 am.png

Top Bottom