• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System Measurements with REW questions

clerens

Hi

Just got my new Revel f35 and want to setup my hometheater with the help of measurments. Since I am new to this I have lots of questions about REW and setting up for the measurments.
First things first, this is my setup:
  • mains: Revel f35
  • center: Klipsch RP-400c (waiting for Revel C25)
  • sourrounds and Atmos (2): Monitor Audio CP CT260
  • Receiver: Yamaha RX-A780
  • Subwoofer: SVS SB1000
  • UMIK microphon for REW
I have worked half a day to get my first measurments because of ASIO drivers and Windows setup. There are lots of tutorials on REW but there are some basics I just don't get. Nobody explains what parameters you have to set on your receiver. I know how to measure the mains: just set them to "large" + turn of the subwoofer and so I got measurements for Left, Right and for both at the same time. But how do I have to measure the Subwoofer? When I measure it the level doesn't match the level of the mains. How can I get them to match? Since I'm sending test signals by HDMI cable I do send LFE channel test tone but when I'll crossover the mains again, the subwoofer will get the low bass signal of the mains + LFE. That's causing my biggest confusion.
Next thing I don't understand is how to measure the whole system (Left + Right + Subwoofer), or do I even want to do this?
There are tons of other questions and I didn't even start to get to the rest of the 5.1.2 system.
My goal is to get measurements to setup the speakers + subwoofer well. Just to know what distance to the walls the mains should have, my seating position and the best subwoofer location.

Your help is very much appriciated!
Clemens

Attachments

• First measurments.jpg
    First measurments.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 148

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

There’s nothing to explain about the receiver. You’ve already set its sub levels and speaker levels. Nothing changes specifically for REW.

It shouldn’t be hard to measure just the subwoofer. If all else fails, just disconnect the speaker wire from the speakers.

Typically the subwoofer is at a higher level than the mains, not matching the mains.

Can’t tell you how to measure the whole system together. My laptop doesn’t have HDMI or ASIO. I’m using the older method with a common audio interface that has stereo outputs, so the signal goes to both channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
C

clerens

Thank you Wayne. It seems everyone is measuring their subwoofers but I can't find any help on the integration of it.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hi

Just got my new Revel f35 and want to setup my hometheater with the help of measurments. Since I am new to this I have lots of questions about REW and setting up for the measurments.
First things first, this is my setup:
  • mains: Revel f35
  • center: Klipsch RP-400c (waiting for Revel C25)
  • sourrounds and Atmos (2): Monitor Audio CP CT260
  • Receiver: Yamaha RX-A780
  • Subwoofer: SVS SB1000
  • UMIK microphon for REW
I have worked half a day to get my first measurments because of ASIO drivers and Windows setup. There are lots of tutorials on REW but there are some basics I just don't get. Nobody explains what parameters you have to set on your receiver. I know how to measure the mains: just set them to "large" + turn of the subwoofer and so I got measurements for Left, Right and for both at the same time. But how do I have to measure the Subwoofer? When I measure it the level doesn't match the level of the mains. How can I get them to match? Since I'm sending test signals by HDMI cable I do send LFE channel test tone but when I'll crossover the mains again, the subwoofer will get the low bass signal of the mains + LFE. That's causing my biggest confusion.
Next thing I don't understand is how to measure the whole system (Left + Right + Subwoofer), or do I even want to do this?
There are tons of other questions and I didn't even start to get to the rest of the 5.1.2 system.
My goal is to get measurements to setup the speakers + subwoofer well. Just to know what distance to the walls the mains should have, my seating position and the best subwoofer location.

Your help is very much appriciated!
Clemens

Set your mains to "small" in reeiver config. Set crossover for your mains and sub in receiver at 80Hz. Set phase of your sub to 0 deg. Set volume knob of your sub at the middle. Use pink noise RTA moving microphone method as shown in this video. Measure sub + 1 main that is closer to sub. Adjust volume on sub until it matches level of main. Measure sub + both mains. Re-adjust volume of sub if necessary.

OP
C

clerens

Thanks QMuse. I've implemented your input partially and will do complete in the next days. Only thing I can't find is the number of approximations in the measuring window. In REW you have the option to measure test tones frome 2 seperate channels at one time. L +R for example. Am i right that to measure "L + R + Sub" is equal to measuring "L + R" with the mains set to small (at 80Hz corssover for example)? This would make sense to me.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Am i right that to measure "L + R + Sub" is equal to measuring "L + R" with the mains set to small (at 80Hz corssover for example)? This would make sense to me.

Correct.

Top Bottom