• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System advice “warm hifi”

1 am looking at buying my first proper system. I have limited space for speaker placement, they have be on a cabinet and relatively close to the wall. I like listening to vocals, jazz, occasional hiphop.

What would you advice for speaker / amp System, i have narrowed it down to 2 amps and 2 speakers

Might expand with Kef Kc62 sub

Wiim pro plus as streamer dac Pro-ject Debut II turntable

Amp 1: Musical Fidelity A1

Amp2: Heaven Eleven Billie

Speaker 1: Ogy closer accoustics

Speaker 2: amphion Argon 1

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
1 am looking at buying my first proper system. I have limited space for speaker placement, they have be on a cabinet and relatively close to the wall. I like listening to vocals, jazz, occasional hiphop.

What would you advice for speaker / amp System, i have narrowed it down to 2 amps and 2 speakers

Wiim pro plus as streamer dac Pro-ject Debut II turntable

Amp 1: Musical Fidelity A1

Amp2: Heaven Eleven Billie

Speaker 1: Ogy closer accoustics

Speaker 2: amphion Argon 1

Why did you select those?

And what were your specific requirements?

Could you elaborate on the thread title too please?

Just trying to understand your thinking.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jasperamsterdam i For speakers look for one which is front ported. I suggest you poke around and see what is getting some love here. I don't recall anything you mentioned being discussed at ASR other than the Wiim Pro.

A lot of the studio monitors are front ported and work good with your required placement. I guess a separate phono preamp could feed the analogue inputs of the WiiM, If I understand how that box works correctly.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I didn't know they'd made an updated version of the A1; I wanted one of the originals, I thought that undercut facia looked cool, but never got around to it:

1707147023438.png

In any case I think you can get a lot more oomph for $1,500.00 these days - 25wpc is a bit anaemic.

OP
J
Why did you select those?

And what were your specific requirements?

Could you elaborate on the thread title too please?

Just trying to understand your thinking.
Partly because of space / aestethics. I need smallish speakers that can be place relatively close to a wall, plus I want the amp to be nice looking next to my turntable. I only have space for "one" piece next to the turntable. The Wiim is going to be hidden in the cabinet. Asides from the looks, I want a Sweet sound as well. Especially with vocals, jazz etc. I like the warmish / coloured sound of tube amplifiers but would like a bit more dynamics and would like a bit more universal useabiity with wider range of music. I guess I'm enthused by some great reviews of the A1 and really like the out of the box look of the ogy's. Same goes for the Billy amp. The Argon 1 are in the mix because they provide a more neutral balance to the warmer amps maybe... Disadvantage of looking at all these indy brands (ogy and billy) is that it is difficult to hear /test.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be aware that it’s the speaker that sets the tonality and the acoustics, so it’s a fools errand to try to correct with choice of amps and source components. You migth need eq for actual adjustments if your chosen speakers needs some adjustments to sound warmer .

So you pick your speakers and then selects what’s required to drive them properly.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Partly because of space / aestethics. I need smallish speakers that can be place relatively close to a wall, plus I want the amp to be nice looking next to my turntable. I only have space for "one" piece next to the turntable. The Wiim is going to be hidden in the cabinet. Asides from the looks, I want a Sweet sound as well. Especially with vocals, jazz etc. I like the warmish / coloured sound of tube amplifiers but would like a bit more dynamics and would like a bit more universal useabiity with wider range of music. I guess I'm enthused by some great reviews of the A1 and really like the out of the box look of the ogy's. Same goes for the Billy amp. The Argon 1 are in the mix because they provide a more neutral balance to the warmer amps maybe... Disadvantage of looking at all these indy brands (ogy and billy) is that it is difficult to hear /test.
Be aware that it’s the speaker that sets the tonality and the acoustics, so it’s a fools errand to try to correct with choice of amps and source components. You migth need eq for actual adjustments if your chosen speakers needs some adjustments to sound warmer .

So you pick your speakers and then selects what’s required to drive them properly.
With the WiiM you have eq :) so tonal adjustments are possible

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
An amplifier shouldn't (and usually doesn't) affect the "sound quality" (except for tone controls or other EQ).

Look for output power (generally to match your speakers, depending on how loud you want to go).

There is always SOME noise from any active analog circuit (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). The noise specs aren't that useful because there are different measurement methods, except of course the measurements here are comparable. Whether the noise is audible or not also depends on the sensitivity of your speakers (or headphones), how close you are to the speakers, and the acoustic noise in the room.

And of course, "features" with an integrated amp.

Class-A is just "dumb" and energy inefficient. :p It's not class-A because it's better, it's class-A because it was the way the 1st amplifiers were made. And in the old days it was easier & cheaper because class-A/B required an additional tube, transistor, or MOSFET. Now, the cost of a MOSFET is insignificant and Class-A it's the most expensive (per Watt). Class-D is a LOT more complex and it requires integrated circuits (at least to make it economical). Class-D is very energy efficient, and with less energy wasted as heat inside the amplifier, more power can go to the speakers. With economical integrated circuits, Class-D seems to be becoming the standard.

On the other hand, every speaker sounds different and if possible you should listen before you buy, or maybe just go to an audio/video store listen to a variety of different speakers to get an idea of what you like. (I'm an old-school big-speaker guy... There's more to speaker design than size, but physics does come into play and "a kitten can't roar like a lion".)

A subwoofer should have a crossover to send only the lows to the bass and to block the lows from your main speakers. That's built-into all audio video receivers, but it's rare on integrated amps. Almost all subs have a low-pass filter and some active subs have a crossover built-in. You connect the preamp-output to the subwoofer, and then the plug the sub's crossover outputs to your power amp input. (Some integrated amps have a way to "insert" for an crossover or equalizer.)

Do you already have the turntable and/or records? If not, I'd advise against this outdated, inferior, technology. ;)

I want a Sweet sound as well. Especially with vocals, jazz etc. I like the warmish / coloured sound of tube amplifiers but would like a bit more dynamics
Sweet & Warm don't have real meanings... They are just common "audiophile nonsense" along with thousands of other meaningless audiophile words, and they can mean whatever you want them to mean, or however they make you "feel". This is Audio Science Review. ;) See Audiophoolery for the real characteristics of sound quality.

A good tube amp won't sound any different than another amp... Its job is to amplify... But if a tube amp does have a particular "color" or "sound", it will be different from every other tube amp and you'll need to choose one you like.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't know they'd made an updated version of the A1; I wanted one of the originals, I thought that undercut facia looked cool, but never got around to it:

View attachment 347543

In any case I think you can get a lot more oomph for $1,500.00 these days - 25wpc is a bit anaemic.
This one sucks big time. A real piece of garbage:
1000025840.jpg

GaryY

Forum Donor
I would take more time reading more reviews here. There should be better choice with 1.5K than this speaker.
(I don't know how manufacturer measured this speaker.)

Closer-ACoustics-OGY_27-26.jpg

Last edited:

gsp1971

Forum Donor

View attachment 347543

Jesus, €1.650 for 25 W?
Check out the NAD C368 here

GaryY

Forum Donor
I also remember some of friends who had A1 amplifier complained that they might be able to cook egg fry on musical fidelity. They said it gets really hot.

ivayvr

Or another, even cheaper option NAD 316BEE V2.
I am not certain about the current version of A1 but the original would primarily make your room warm and the sound was anemic. I don't recall any other amp that would get that hot.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about some active speakers? Saves money on the amp. What’s your budget for all of it? Does that include the turntable? Check out KH 80 DSP, KH 120 II, or even KH 150 if that still fits your size requirements. The Genelec lineup has rear ports, so need a few inches of space, otherwise look at the 8x30 series.

Last edited:

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Well well well. I used to have a Musical Fidelity A1 many years ago. With the right music and the right speakers it was an absolutely glorious sounding amp. It didn't have much power and couldn't be used with inefficient speaker, but I recall listing through some SD Acoustics SD1 which had high efficiency (and other great attributes) and it was superb without qualifications. However it only really shone with easy going melodic music, and as soon as you needed some get up and go and aggression, it fell flat on it's face. It's the sort of amp that a valve lover would like.

The power distortion curves look dreadful, but that's not how it sounded. Anyone who thinks all amps sound the same should be made to listen one of these - it's an education point, and demands that you question the value of measurements.

I have very fond memories of that amplifier. Sade never sounded better, but ZZ Top never sounded worse. It's certainly a warm amp.

Frank2

My advice would be to buy a pair of Neumann KH150 active speakers. They are about as expensive as the amplifier and passive speakers together on your short list. An active speaker has the amplifiers already built-in (245 Watts per speaker). You'll get a fantastic sound with zero distortion out of these.

If you really need a turntable (I cannot think of any reason why if you have a subscription to a decent streaming service) you could add a simple phono pre-amp.

Quote from Amirm's listening test:
"As usual, I pulled up my female vocals to test for tonality. I was immediate hit with a warm signature that I am not used to hearing with small speakers/monitors."

The warmth of the sound is mainly determined by the amount of downward tilt of the in-room response curve. You can manipulate that tilt with shelving filters if you have an equalizer at hand.

OP
J
I would take more time reading more reviews here. There should be better choice with 1.5K than this speaker.
(I don't know how manufacturer measured this speaker.)

View attachment 347564

Have you read the accompanying review? Or is it not done since it is just words and not science . Because i read that and any other review I could find as very positive

Top Bottom