• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Syng Cell Alpha - 7.1 sound with three speakers ?

beaRA

I replied to his video:
This is a helpful comment and I hope they do take some of the suggestions to improve future audio related videos. I'm not surprised that the video was more a marketing overview with first impressions and a focus on user experience. LTT doesn't mind getting technical on computer hardware topics, but audio is not their area of expertise.

SpeakersForTheDead

Another feature that was completely left out of Linus' review: dispersion. The syng supposedly has the ability to change the dispersion. That is almost ENTIRELY the reason I want to review it and measure it.

As I said, his "review" was pretty much the marketing brochure. When I read a review what I expect to find is some things that aren't in the marketing material. I don't need someone to tell me the specs; I can find that myself. Tell me the stuff that isn't discussed elsewhere. Linus' review was sorely lacking this. Thus, my criticism. Dude seems cool... nice production quality. And he wasn't all "subjective". But he left out what I would consider some critical aspects about the speaker in lieu of telling me it has a waveguide and some woofers. :(

Yeah, Linus doesn't really review anything that in-depth, let alone something that's outside his wheelhouse. He's a good presenter and entertainer and he knows that his primary audience isn't usually looking for walls of information. He presents as many facts as he can while still keeping it well-paced and entertaining, but entertainment is usually his primary focus. I'd say he's well-informed and trustworthy enough that what he says is usually going to be true and useful to at least some extent, though.

dduck

So in most ways this review is within my expectations. Which makes it even more puzzling that it happened.

By "within my expectations" I mean "how this product would be perceived by the mass market".

I expect it to be pretty much what Linus described it as: A fancy looking speaker with a new gimmick - spatial sound - that sounds pretty good to normal ears, and is design-forward and digital-only, and definitely not an audiophile product, neither by sound (warm sound) nor by price (high for mass market, low for audiophile gear) or features (does not integrate with regular amps).

You could go with many descriptions. The iMac of speakers (all in one, limited expandability, some unique fancy features). The HomePod Pro minus Siri (better sound, new gimmick)... but it all adds up to a product that is definitely not mass market, and probably not audiophile. Sorta like the Tesla model S, which was not for lovers of fancy cars at all, and too expensive for the mass marker. Or the Devialet Phantom speakers.

A classic "first adopter" product, for a company that wants to enter the mass market at the high end. Appeals to techbros with disposable income or design lovers. People who buy B&O and Teslas, and might read Wallpaper or Wired.

The review could have been good for Syng if they had managed to get it positioned as a halo product: Great for mass market, if only it was affordable. Cue the introduction of a cheaper model down the line. If they had wowed Linus with their special sauce and been there to meet his concerns regarding tonality and connectivity, it would potentially have been a very different story.

EDIT:

Full disclosure. I am definitely the target market for the Alpha Cell. Middle-aged Silicon Valley techbro, drives a Tesla model S since 2017, used to own a set of Devialet Phantoms, early adopter of the iPhone, headphone setup is a Woo Audio Fireflies with warm, semi-closed headphones. But I am pretty clear-eyed about what makes this product appeal to me, and why it probably wouldn't appeal to either mainstream market or the true audio high-end market. The things that I like are not what other people like, and they have good reasons given where they come from.

So why Syng would send a single unit WITH HIGHLY VISIBLE SCRATCHES to a reviewer that appeals to the mainstream audio market is truly surprising. It's like they don't know what their product positioning is.

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I am puzzled to what you all expected from this product? Audiophile bliss? Nothing new here… a devialet with atmos like bounce sound effect….
An evolution of audio needs to go forward, more speakers with every generation… should be rooting for 22.4.6 setup, not 3 transparent balls…

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I know, Erin, but this is not with your time. Also, how would you go about testing something meant to not sound like a regular speaker? You could only make subjective claims about surround sound experience if they sent you all three speakers. Klippel data would be strange, i suspect.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't get the "7.1". He says it's only 2-channels (input) and I've never been fooled into hearing sound from behind when it was coming from a soundbar or with "surround effects" on headphones, etc.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I know, Erin, but this is not with your time.

?

Also, how would you go about testing something meant to not sound like a regular speaker?

The same way you test a regular speaker.

Just because it may not adhere to the CTA-2034 standard, you can still learn a lot about what the speaker is doing. The same thing I did for the Apple HomePod Mini and Bose Resolve speakers I reviewed.

And note that I didn't say he HAS to have data for this to be a worthwhile review. However, it is important to understand the basics of the speaker: how loud will it go, does it have built in limiting, what is the experience of the radiation pattern as you move about the room? Elementary things to address that don't necessarily need data.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
So they made a speaker with a flat frequency response and then fucked it up? Nice.

tuckers

So why Syng would send a single unit WITH HIGHLY VISIBLE SCRATCHES to a reviewer that appeals to the mainstream audio market is truly surprising. It's like they don't know what their product positioning is.

Probably because they could only afford to produce 10 or so on their initial run :)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
a good review on Linus tech tips is worth their entire company at this point. he has 13.5 million subscribers.

what a missed opportunity. right now the title literally says don't buy it.
I respect that Linus always seems to give his honest opinion, knowing how much impact he has with his reach.

But I also find it sad that he doesn't know enough about audio to do proper reviews, even though I really is into headphones. He has some glowing reviews of those super expensive high distortion headphones (I already forgot the names, Amir tested some).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I respect that Linus always seems to give his honest opinion, knowing how much impact he has with his reach.

But I also find it sad that he doesn't know enough about audio to do proper reviews, even though I really is into headphones. He has some glowing reviews of those super expensive high distortion headphones (I already forgot the names, Amir tested some).

Abyss? He was rolling his eyes the entire time the Abyss guy said any audiophile blurb.

it made good YouTube content because of how expensive they were, don’t remember him endorsing them either.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Abyss? He was rolling his eyes the entire time the Abyss guy said any audiophile blurb.

it made good YouTube content because of how expensive they were, don’t remember him endorsing them either.
I think he was impressed with the sound though? Anyway, been a long time since I've seen the video.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am puzzled to what you all expected from this product?
Don't worry about us. What they heck were they thinking? $1,900 for a mono speaker? IOS only? Boomy bass without adjustment capability?

Now, target the lifestyle audio user and you might have something but they clearly pushing the mono application given the review sample.

The guy comes form Apple and he used cheap plexiglass that scratches this easily?

I would be surprised if they survive.

eyemgh

The woofer movement is wild. It will be interesting to to see what placement does to perceived and measured response too. I think Syng recommends 2 ft. from a wall if possible.

I also think it's important to acknowledge the niche that might want one. I had a pair of NHT 2.5is until my wife put the kibosh on them. They were replaced with KEF 102s, also to be nixed when we downsized. I still want to feel music, but can't dedicate space to a setup anymore and still stay married. That's why I bought one (don't have it yet). I think it will be superior to the Beosound and the Devialet, both more money. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I was told that was rolling shutter. I was wondering how a woofer could move like that and sound right!

Last edited:

AM88

I’ve listened to both devialet and the besound. I found the small devialets to be perfect as a home speaker, albeit a bit bass heavy. Not for analytical Hifi purpose but for general listening I think they are great. I did use a bit of eq from Spotify to turn the bass down and the matte black was quite nice. The beosound 2 looks much better than it sounds. I think it’s very well finished and looks quite beautiful as a piece of decorative sculpture and 2 in stereo sound surprisingly good for the size. I feel it is not good value for money but sounds much better than the beosound 1. Most of the mid to high tier b&o play speakers I have heard I’ve felt to be atrocious including the relatively new one that looks like a lamp. The best Hifi-ish wireless speakers I’ve heard are the Vifa ones….I hope Amir or Erin get a chance to measure the Syng and give their impressions.

Top Bottom