• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Syng Cell Alpha - 7.1 sound with three speakers ?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
To add some context:
I emailed Syng a while back asking if they would be willing to send a demo. They said they had limited availability and would get back to me in the future. Joe told me last week they were sending him one. So I emailed the company again, hoping their inventory status had changed. Nope, still told they didn't have enough to send me one. Not being one to simply be brushed off, I emailed back saying I knew Joe had one. They said they would get back to me in the future. So, no status change. But they know I know that I'm not a big enough fish for them. LOL :D:D:D

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I was shocked by how well Linus was informed in this video, like everything was spot on.

It doesn't hurt that James (his right hand) is a full fledged objective audiophile.

It was marketing literature in video format.

Truthfully, there was nothing in that video that I could not glean from the website. Other than the note about the exaggerated bass.

I will say this, too. @joentell said they only sent him one. Then Linus says they only sent him one as well. For what this product is, I cannot believe SYNG did not send the reviewers at least a pair of these to try out. It seems like an incredible oversight to only send a single unit to reviewers give. The novelty of what they are supposed to be capable of in a two or three unit set. Especially reviewers of this stature with this much audience.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was marketing literature in video format.

which was 100 times more useful than 99% of Youtube reviewers out there.

I was shocked when he made the comment that the speaker is not anechoicly flat, and that someone in his team (Probably James like I said) probably picked that up from just hearing it as that information is obviously not part of the marketing material.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
which was 100 times more useful than 99% of Youtube reviewers out there.

I disagree. I don’t need someone to tell me the specs when I can read them in seconds. I need information the marketing brochure doesn’t tell me. His review didn’t provide that other than the bass comment.

It would have been nice to know if there was some kind of limiting in the speaker. I’m sure there is. It would have nice to know a little bit more about the sound radiation in regards to the entire frequency spectrum (not just the boosted bass aspect). Those are critical details that this review completely blanked on. That’s the specific information I want to know and was not mentioned in this review. Oh well.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. I don’t need someone to tell me the specs when I can read them in seconds. I need information the marketing brochure doesn’t tell me. His review didn’t provide that.

I rather have that + first impressions than audiophile blurb :) but to each his own.

I wasn't expecting Klippel results, so that video fit my expectations as it adequately covered the user experience and included (sensible) listening impressions.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will say this, too. @joentell said they only sent him one. Then Linus says they only sent him one as well. For what this product is, I cannot believe SYNG did not send the reviewers at least a pair of these to try out. It seems like an incredible oversight to only send a single unit to reviewers give. The novelty of what they are supposed to be capable of in a two or three unit set. Especially reviewers of this stature with this much audience.

I know, they shot themselves in the foot as the reviewers will pick up anomalies in tonality much more quickly that way.

Linus is like one of the elite top (technology based) creators on Youtube, send him 3 and let him have that 'magical' 5.1 experience.

dduck

I know, they shot themselves in the foot as the reviewers will pick up anomalies in tonality much more quickly that way.

Linus is like one of the elite top (technology based) creators on Youtube, send him 3 and let him have that 'magical' 5.1 experience.

Yeah, it's kinda odd.

I was definitely surprised there was no mention of spatial audio at all. Especially since the Newsweek article gave the impression that you'd get at least some measure of it from just a single unit.

I got the sense from some of the articles that they actually don't have a proper PR person working for them, and on their website they are looking for a director of digital marketing. Perhaps they are really just missing someone to handle this properly

It would be a shame if an otherwise interesting product is marred by sloppy marketing. And surprising, given the people who run the company, and the pre-reviewers they have gotten to look at it already (Wallpaper, Newsweek...).

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Another feature that was completely left out of Linus' review: dispersion. The syng supposedly has the ability to change the dispersion. That is almost ENTIRELY the reason I want to review it and measure it.

As I said, his "review" was pretty much the marketing brochure. When I read a review what I expect to find is some things that aren't in the marketing material. I don't need someone to tell me the specs; I can find that myself. Tell me the stuff that isn't discussed elsewhere. Linus' review was sorely lacking this. Thus, my criticism. Dude seems cool... nice production quality. And he wasn't all "subjective". But he left out what I would consider some critical aspects about the speaker in lieu of telling me it has a waveguide and some woofers. :(

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I replied to his video:

Thanks for the review, Linus. While I appreciate the effort in the production I really feel you left a lot on the table. All the things you mentioned - other than the boosted bass - can be found in the marketing literature. That was useful information. But there were a few things I was hoping to learn about this speaker from your review:
1) SYNG touts the ability to change dispersion; I would have loved to know your thoughts on this feature,
2) I assume the boosted bass is at low-to-mid levels and likely becomes more flat as the volume increases; I would have liked to known if there is a built-in limiter (and also, what is the approximate maximum in-room SPL),
3) How well does the speaker present an omnidirectional soundfield vertically (you made mention of it but nothing past that),
4) some in-room response measurements would have been great; simple enough to do with free software and a $90 USB omnidirectional microphone. You mentioned the speaker's sound characteristic. It would go a long way toward relating your thoughts on this by providing an in-room response.

This isn't me giving you a hard time. These are just things I was hoping would be discussed in your review.

As an aside, given all SYNG's marketing about using multiple units, I cannot -for the life of me - understand why they would send you (or any reviewer) just ONE unit. That seems incredibly shortsighted of them to do. To me, that's where a lot of the novelty of this item lies... and they completely missed the mark by sending you just one unit to review.

Thanks, though, for giving us a look at the product in real time. It does look neat in its own way.

- Erin

Last edited:
Top Bottom