• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surprising Amplifiers - If I cannot tell, they are same, right?

jamesyaol

I like to share some experience and opinions...

I bought 3 AMPs, $3000, $100 and $120. All Class D. With the low DB (Ave DB 80 at my seat), I cannot tell the difference. Are they same?
Recently I switched my HT to Stereo+, So I bought $3000(300W) for Front. $100(120W) for center and later I think I need a good center and I bought 300W$120 for center.
I can notice the difference on noise level difference (Max volume) while putting ears ON speaker.
I trained my wife to switch the cable, adjust the volume with mobile DB meter ... I spent whole afternoon to test it (man, I went to basement so many times!)
I played similar songs (piano, violin, some move clips and Jazz. Of course, some pop songs)
Man, it is embarrassing that I actually cannot tell which one is playing...

I cannot do speaker test because my speaker is $30(10 yr old bookshelf JBL and statelite Bose) vs $3000(floorstand bw702s) / $1000(center ml30i) and I can tell the difference easily. But I believe that the price is double for per 5% improvement on speaker. It is what I experienced in the test hearing in the shop.

Anyway, my conclusion, to a normal music fan (you know, I cannot pretend myself as a hifi fan any more after this) like me, I will recommend the budget to spend much more on speakers and the media player and the source of the music. I will say put $800 on the amplifier should be more than enough because of the current advanced technology. (before this I believed spend 50% of speaker's money on amp.)

I insist, if my ear sucks and I cannot tell, they are same.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't disagree. For example, with 650 usd one can get a Buckeye Amp based on NCore NC502MP module with 500W at 4 ohms and excellent measurements. Spending more hits very strong diminishing returns.

Top Bottom