• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggest lesser-known good Sci-Fi films

Andretti60

It is not easy to find “lesser known” good movies; for fans of a genres all good movies are well known.

This movie for me is an exception, it never appears in the many “best sci-fi movies ever” lists, maybe with reasons because it is not indeed a “great” movie, but it deserves a nomination. It is IMO one of the best Carpenter’s movies, with great acting by Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. Oddly enough, even though I have seen this movie countless of time I always struggle to remember its title.

GrumpE1

“I would usually say the weirder the better…”
Wouldn’t call this weird, but certainly not the usual.

Cowboy’s & Aliens (2011)

Not pre 2000, but it’s often over looked despite being very well done. Danial Craig, Olivia Wilde, and Harrison Ford do a fine job in this family friendly mix of genre’s.

Qualifier: I don’t tire of John Ford Westerns, nor of True Grit (1969), Big Jake (1971), and such… Westerns work for me almost so much as Sci-Fi. If you don’t care for them, then pass. If you do… well, it’s a fun ride.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don´t know if it has been recommended before, but Katherine Bigelow´s Strange Days is a great film. She has been consistent with quality films (Hurt Locker, Breaking Point), and Strange Days is not an exception.

Cadguy

I'll also recommend Gattaca, in my opinion one of the most underrated sci fi films ever.

Some fun ones:
Mars Attacks!
Serenity
Repo Man

Not a movie, but the first episode of the original The Outer Limits TV series: The Galaxy Being, I saw it as a kid when it was first broadcast in 1963 and because I didn't understand it I had nightmares for weeks. Some of the themes it explored still resonate today and the special effects for the alien are impressive for a 60 year old TV show.

posvibes

I haven't seen it again since it came out in the early '80's but Luc Besson's The Last Battle or combat or something really impressed me when I was much younger a few scenes from that remain vividly in my head to this day.

tlin

Outland - should be right in line with the spirit of this thread. One of my favorites....

Edit - Krull also just came to mind. Obscure and of the right vintage - give it a try!

Last edited:

tlin

I love me some sci-fi, as a 12-year old kid I scraped up change and walked to the theater many a time (eight, IIRC) to see 2001.

I'm sure I have a bunch, but digging deep for one no one has mentioned:

Soldier, 1998 with Kurt Russell. He doesn't say a word until well into the movie, then says few.

Now, the title is underwhelming, I had no thought to seek it out until I happened on an interview with David Webb Peoples on AM radio, where the discussion intrigued me. You might know he was a co-writer of the Blade Runner screenplay, and he wrote Soldier on his own. A number of Blade Runner easter eggs (if you're paying attention, you'll notice the solider fought in the Battle of Tannhauser Gate). Yet another Gary Busey movie where he, uh, might die. Jason Scott Lee (says even less). You might recognize Sean Pertwee from Equilibrium (and Event Horizon). Severely under-appreciated.

People mentioned Dark City—one of my all-times. What greatly enhances it is the analysis by Roger Ebert, which was included with the DVD—Ebert had done it independently for a class on filmmaking. Also, the director's cut—although the original is brilliant, there were some concessions to the studio that Alex Proyas at least partially addresses.

OMG, I see why Soldier bombed. This is one of the worst sci-fi trailers I've ever seen :p Do yourself a favor and just watch the movie without clicking one this link—it will give you the completely wrong impression—unless you have a good sense of humor and just want to see how not to promote a sci-fi movie:

I loved Soldier - at least I remember it fondly (no idea how well it stands up this many years later but great suggestion!).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would recommend a lot of films from the 1950's that don't get a lot of play anymore. More than anything Science Fiction movies are about the hopes and anxieties we have about the future which explains why so many of the 1950's films were about the aftermath of living in the atomic age and the fear of invasion. Anyway here are some of what I think were the lesser known, but still highly enjoyable ones from that period.

Earth vs the Flying Saucers
This Island Earth
The Day the World Ended
The Time Machine
World Without End
Battle in Outer Space
12 to the Moon
It Conquered the World
Kronos
Last Man on Earth
Mysterians
Donovan's Brain
The Brain that Wouldn't Die
Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
When Worlds Collide
Missile to the Moon
War of the Worlds
Queen of Outer Space
The World, the Flesh, and the Devil
Them
The Giant Mantis
Fiend Without a Face
Attack of the 50ft Woman
The Amazing Collossal Man
Crack in the World
It: The Terror from Beyond Space!
Terror from the Year 5000

Last edited:

Sashoir

Forum Donor
The Andromeda Strain hasn't been mentioned yet (or perhaps I've missed it). I'm not sure it has the "feeling" I think you're after (which I take be more futuristic or...different, somehow).
I'd also add:
Seconds
The Satan Bug
Phase IV
Capricorn One (well, maybe it's not science fiction, but...)
The Ultimate Warrior (not a great film, but an awesome one).

redstang

Outland - should be right in line with the spirit of this thread. One of my favorites....

Edit - Krull also just came to mind. Obscure and of the right vintage - give it a try!

Krull - with Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane having bit parts early in their careers. Great flick. Perfect example of a great 80's Fantasy/Sci-fi movie.

Arachnid

Hmm, 90s sci-fi I’ve seen and can recommend… let’s see…

Alien3
Armageddon
Cube
Dark City
Demolition Man
Event Horizon
Galaxy Quest
Gattaca
Ghost in the Shell
The Iron Giant
Judge Dredd
Johnny Mnemonic
The Matrix
Men in Black
Species
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Strange Days
Total Recall
12 Monkeys
Waterworld

This is a good list. In my view there are several standouts among these movies:

Dark City is truly in the 'excellent' category. It managed to take me by surprise, several times, and it looks gobsmackingly good. It is best to go see it without any reading beforehand, not to spoil the surprises. It is rather obvious it predates The Matrix and it touches upon similar themes, but it is not necessary to know any more. Personally, I enjoyed it better than The Matrix.

Gattaca is also a pleasant surprise because of the 'sub zero', undercooled way of filming and acting. This adds to the sense of estrangement and it made the story even more poignant. A very 'different' movie as well as thought provoking.

Another SciFi movie which isn't mentioned that often, but rather good: Tenet by Christopher Nolan (2020). Starts out as a spy/crime movie but turns into SciFi rather quickly.

Last edited:

dutchboy

Forum Donor

dutchboy

Forum Donor
The Cell

Top Bottom