• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofers "for music" vs "for movies"?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm using a NAD C658 which has separate sub outs if thats what you mean, but otherwise no I'm not using any 'surround processing'. As I said, I rarely watch movies with more than a stereo soundtrack anyway so I don't see much point ...
Then you don't get any LFE effects, because its not processing Dolby Digital or DTS. If you don't watch many movies made after 1990 or something you wont miss much, but for everything after that you do miss a lot of the experience.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A question I find more confusing is how low we should go. 20hz? 15hz for vibrations even if we're not cranking the bass up to super loud levels? 12.5hz? 10hz?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A question I find more confusing is how low we should go. 20hz? 15hz for vibrations even if we're not cranking the bass up to super loud levels? 12.5hz? 10hz?

It's rare for music to have much content below 30. So if you're at 20hz in-room you should be good.

For movies you may want even lower.

Top Bottom