• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subjectivist’s rant debunked

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Goodness. Snake oil salesmen in audio?

/Thanks for the link

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who might build a better ampifier, a profoundly deaf electronics engineer, or a virtuoso violinist with pitch perfect hearing - just a thought. :)
the engineer.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't think a virtuoso violinist would have a clue about electrical engineering.
That was my point, it's entirely possible that an engineer could produce a good amplifier without ever hearing it, because it has one, measurable, job, to amplify the input signal without changing anything other than the amplitude.

MKR

Major Contributor
I follow Archimago, but hadn’t been to site for a while and missed this one. Good stuff, thanks for the link! I have no issue with Devore in principle, and have heard the O/96 on multiple occasions, and I can certainly understand why some would like them. I myself found some very pleasant qualities with the sound. Basically, they are in themselves part of the musical performance given the cabinet resonance issues, and that resonance can be pleasant, a bit like a stringed instrument. Main issue here is Devores rant, ugh :facepalm:.

Anyway, as a reviewer or owner of said speakers just don’t claim they are accurately reproducing the recording and we can get along just fine ;)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I follow Archimago, but hadn’t been to site for a while and missed this one. Good stuff, thanks for the link! I have no issue with Devore in principle, and have heard the O/96 on multiple occasions, and I can certainly understand why some would like them. I myself found some very pleasant qualities with the sound. Basically, they are in themselves part of the musical performance given the cabinet resonance issues, and that resonance can be pleasant, a bit like a stringed instrument. Main issue here is Devores rant, ugh :facepalm:.

Anyway, as a reviewer or owner of said speakers just don’t claim they are accurately reproducing the recording and we can get along just fine ;)
Resonances, wildly uneven frequency response, and poor dispersion - the trifecta.

I bet they ARE warm. That looks like a badly implemented RIAA curve!

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
“I have never heard DeVore's speakers. Honestly, I am curious about how they sound.”

This hobby seems full of insurmountable obstacles. ;)

MKR

Major Contributor
Resonances, wildly uneven frequency response, and poor dispersion - the trifecta.

I bet they ARE warm. That looks like a badly implemented RIAA curve!

Indeed ... I suppose the question to ask here is do you want your speakers to reproduce the recording, or be part of the recording. If the former, then Devore certainly not for you. If the latter, then I am sure you would love them.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Who might build a better ampifier, a profoundly deaf electronics engineer, or a virtuoso violinist with pitch perfect hearing - just a thought. :)

As much as I like your question, I think we know that answer. The better question is this: Who might build a better speaker, a profoundly deaf electronic engineer, or a virtuoso violinist with pitch perfect hearing?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably still the engineer. I've watched non-engineers try to design speakers. One of two things happens:

1) They become an engineer. Sometimes a good one.
2) Ignominious failure and tears

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The first thing Science says about audio is that the subjective listening John DeVore is doing is wrong. If he believes in science, that is the first thing he needs to dismiss as valid before worrying about science of measurements.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I put this comment under DeVore's video:

"The fist thing "science" says about audio is that your observations of sound in uncontrolled setting, with your eyes involved is wrong. That is easily proven and is part and parcel of human perception. So no matter what is wrong with science of measurement, you can be sure that the substitute cannot be the subjective experiences you promote. To wit, who says you made the right decision in having a worse frequency response in your speaker? You are the designer with who knows what hearing ability to determine that. The test would have been a blind, level matched one to determine if that correction was needed or not. You know, when only the sound is heard and evaluated. NOT knowing that one position of crossover switch says this and another says that. Just run that test. It should take just a few minutes. Invite a few audiophiles over, don't tell them what you are doing and run a trial 10 times and see if you get 9 times in favor of your preferred setting.

That is how we do audio science. Remember, if your brain can manufacture a band sitting in front of you from two speakers, it is quite capable of fooling you in other ways! As to measurements, we apply science of psychoacoustics to them. Then we can determine audibility. And measurements as far as what I perform at ASR, are a full suite, not one signal as you imply."

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I put this comment under DeVore's video:

"The fist thing "science" says about audio is that your observations of sound in uncontrolled setting, with your eyes involved is wrong. That is easily proven and is part and parcel of human perception. So no matter what is wrong with science of measurement, you can be sure that the substitute cannot be the subjective experiences you promote. To wit, who says you made the right decision in having a worse frequency response in your speaker? You are the designer with who knows what hearing ability to determine that. The test would have been a blind, level matched one to determine if that correction was needed or not. You know, when only the sound is heard and evaluated. NOT knowing that one position of crossover switch says this and another says that. Just run that test. It should take just a few minutes. Invite a few audiophiles over, don't tell them what you are doing and run a trial 10 times and see if you get 9 times in favor of your preferred setting.

That is how we do audio science. Remember, if your brain can manufacture a band sitting in front of you from two speakers, it is quite capable of fooling you in other ways! As to measurements, we apply science of psychoacoustics to them. Then we can determine audibility. And measurements as far as what I perform at ASR, are a full suite, not one signal as you imply."
I wonder how long it will be there..:rolleyes:

Waxx

Major Contributor
For me the Devore i know is the O93, and it's like he took a perfect good vintage speaker (the Dynaco A25) as example, used the wrong tweeter, the wrong cabinet and the wrong crossover to make a crap speaker and sell it way to expensive.

If you want that A25 in modern form, there is a kit by by Seas (who made the original A25 woofer and H087 tweeter) called the A26 with modern equivalents (A26RE4 woofer and TC35C002 tweeter) that you can build for less than 1.5K ... And it sounds way better than that Devore O93, i've helped a friend build it, and with using high quality birch ply, high quality crossover parts and so, the budget for the build was just over 1500€ and the build actually fairly easy to do.

Anton D

For me the Devore i know is the O93, and it's like he took a perfect good vintage speaker (the Dynaco A25) as example, used the wrong tweeter, the wrong cabinet and the wrong crossover to make a crap speaker and sell it way to expensive.

If you want that A25 in modern form, there is a kit by by Seas (who made the original A25 woofer and H087 tweeter) called the A26 with modern equivalents (A26RE4 woofer and TC35C002 tweeter) that you can build for less than 1.5K ... And it sounds way better than that Devore O93, i've helped a friend build it, and with using high quality birch ply, high quality crossover parts and so, the budget for the build was just over 1500€ and the build actually fairly easy to do.
That’s one those things I love about this hobby!

Top Bottom