• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub in the MLP. Or rather: Sub as the MLP

AlmaAtaKZ

Some time ago I had the idea of making a DIY sub that is built into the base of a diy listening chair. For example: something like this, but with the base replaced with a suitably shaped box serving as a subwoofer. There seems to be plenty of volume available. Probably dual opposing drivers.

IMG_9913.jpeg

I realise that would mean loosing flexibility of positioning the sub (in relation to the MLP and the rest of the room). But what would other acoustic disadvantages be and advantages, if any?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There would be a lot of acoustic advantages, the closer you sit to the sub the less influence room modes have on the frequency response. Headphones are that one end of the spectrum.

Figuring out the best crossover frequency would be a personal challenge though.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've experimented with subs on the back wall which was essentially where my sofa was located. I have also experimented with surround rears in a different orientation and I always enjoy all sound eminating from the front.

In defense to the idea of having subs along the wall or side walls or in different configurations, it worked perfect for me but I am presuming this is due to always have 2 subs up front where most of the energy comes from and then the rest along the side wall or in any other unique configuration that is needed.

Now, for movie listening might be fine to sit on a sub but for music I can certainly say that its quite annoying to have a sub close by unless it configurated in such a way that most of the energy is felt from the front but this is ultimately a preference.

Abe_W

Some time ago I had the idea of making a DIY sub that is built into the base of a diy listening chair. For example: something like this, but with the base replaced with a suitably shaped box serving as a subwoofer. There seems to be plenty of volume available. Probably dual opposing drivers.

View attachment 284137
I realise that would mean loosing flexibility of positioning the sub (in relation to the MLP and the rest of the room). But what would other acoustic disadvantages be and advantages, if any?
When the sub constantly rumbles your ass, it would be a constant distraction from your music listening. FAIL.

The movie guys who do this with some of their nearfield tactile subs for movies turn it off and revert to their regular subs when listening to music.

Top Bottom