• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub $2000 Bookshelf with best off-axis response

capt_slow

Long time listener, first time caller. I have been through numerous posts and looked at a lot of measurements of bookshelf speakers. I am trying to find something for living room duty that will sound good way off-axis (I am very rarely in the “sweet spot”). It looks like once you get >30 degrees off-axis, the higher frequency ranges really start to drop; is there a particular speaker that is better at maintaining off-axis frequency response?

Koloth

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest you start by looking at coaxials, such as the Technics SB-C700 (passive).

MarsianC#

Reference might be Genelec's 8341.
KEF are nice too, and avaiable active and passive.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
JBL 708p can be picked up at $2000 for a pair. I got mine as B stock, directly from Harman.
That wave guide is huuuuuge.

OP
C

capt_slow

Reference might be Genelec's 8341.
KEF are nice too, and avaiable active and passive.

Was considering the R3s (measure a bit bright on-axis, but that could actually be a benefit in my scenario)

superczar

Most KEF , even the old ones all the way back to iQ5 (and possibly even further) do very well on off-axis response.
If I had to build a new system for piping background music, i probably wouldn’t look beyond.

In fact I would argue that the R series would be overkill for your use case and even the Q350 would do - unless it’s a large living room but then the KEF Rs won’t suffice there either

Be warned that they can get a little shrill at times - Or bright sounding as audiophiles would term it

superczar

EQ them to your taste/room and be done.
Huge fan of Room EQ - I wouldn’t build a system without one!
But Room EQ doesn‘t help much with the kind of speaker dispersion patterns the OP is looking for

MarsianC#

What? You want less treble energy aka bright sound? EQ it. Will it change tonality? No, not really, because it's dispersion pattern is very even!
Thats the whole point with eqing speakers (not rooms), as reflections stay the same.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I think some Genelec models fit the OP's request.
I'm sure there are other brands too but Genelec has that reputation to measure excellent on and off axis.

superczar

What? You want less treble energy aka bright sound? EQ it. Will it change tonality? No, not really, because it's dispersion pattern is very even!
Thats the whole point with eqing speakers (not rooms), as reflections stay the same.
Of course REQ will fix the brightness/treble.
However it won’t do much for the relatively even off-axis dispersion requirement.

PS: I probably didn't realize your response was directed at the alleged high HF sensitivity of most KEFs that I had alluded to in the post preceding yours

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Any brand using computer analysis/simulation to make their waveguides should be considered. So at least Genelec and Neumann; under $2000 would be the 8030C/8330A or KH120A. Revel and KEF are also good choices.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
If you're not afraid of DIY from a flat pack and doing crossovers for a 3-way there is the BMR for about ~1600, otherwise you start pushing toward 3k for Salk versions. There is a new updated version with a new tweeter IIRC. See @hardisj review https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/philharmonic-bmr-speaker-review.14781/

Just a couple of factual points. The BMR's that will be arriving next month have a new ceramic woofer. The tweeter is the same as that used in the current kit and Salk builds. The new ones are fully assembled and sell for $1,700/pair.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a couple of factual points. The BMR's that will be arriving next month have a new ceramic woofer. The tweeter is the same as that used in the current kit and Salk builds. The new ones are fully assembled and sell for $1,700/pair.
Sorry about being incorrect Dennis. I'll edit above. Looking forward to seeing how the new version performs.

Sonny1

The new BMR looks to be the best deal in all of audio. I’m excited to see these new speakers.

OP
C

capt_slow

Thanks, everybody. Lots of good info here and more options to consider!

overg

The new BMR looks to be the best deal in all of audio. I’m excited to see these new speakers.

Hearing exactly that repeatedly said about the old version was why I ordered one of Dennis' last pairs of the original Philharmonic versions (the piano black, rectangle version). I thought Dennis was undercharging then at $1,500, and I personally think he's still undercharging at $1,700. If you're looking for great measuring wide dispersion speakers, there are not going to be many (any?) better options under $2K.

In addition to Erin's review, Audioholics are big fans. They repeatedly reference the BMR as their example of a great wide dispersion speaker in their series of videos on narrow vs. wide dispersion. The upper left speaker in the thumbnail is the older, Salk version of the BMR, and they talk about it repeatedly throughout this video series.

Top Bottom