• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitors for multiple uses

OP
T

TBsq

One reason to get a Neumann or Genelec setup is the integrated correction, but that requires the use of products all from the same manufacturer. If you want to mix them, you could use a MiniDSP device to do crossover and correction or you could do it "in the box" with EqualizerAPO.
I came across the KRK S8.4 sub and that seems to be the better choice, will the integrated crossover be enough?

The MTMs do integrate easily with a sub after iLoud added an 80Hz LF filter in a recent firmware update.
Didn't the high pass filter on the sub already do that?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't the high pass filter on the sub already do that?

The MTMs have DSP room correction, removing everything below 80hz means they are not trying to play or correct the response down there. They sound better to me on 80hz, than on 50hz, this could just be because they're a little louder on 80hz as they're not wasting amplifier power on the lower stuff.

david william

Hi, I'm looking for a pair of monitors for both near-field listening and home-cinema, I will move them depending on the use. My budget is 800€/monitor and I'm not looking for something too powerful.
WELL, I have some suggestions of best monitors that I use personally and I think you are gonna love them. Actually a friend of mine sugest me to visit this site monitor mega where I can find any monitor best according to my pocket.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A pair of second hand Genelec 8030C would fit within the budget if your a bit lucky.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also what about a solution where I get Neumanns or Genelecs and pair them with 2 cheap subwoofers like Presonus?
I guess that depends on your priorities. The recommended Kali IN8 + a sub (or two) + a miniDSP + measurement mic would probably get you very far on sound quality alone.
However going for Neumann or Genelec from the start may help with upgraditis :), and you could always add subs later.

One of the benefits of some Genelec (73xx / 83xx) and Neumann (KH 80 / KH 150 / or any analog Neumann paired with KH 750 sub) setups is that they have built-in DSP and can be used for room EQ with the additional kits (Genelec GLM / Neumann MA-1).

Your main criteria should probably be SPL capability and driver integration though, which will be largely dictated by listening distance. For large listening distances and big rooms (like in a large HT) you need more SPL (which typically means bigger drivers), while for nearfield listening you need smaller drivers (or coaxials) so they integrate well at close distance. From that perspective Kali IN series might indeed be a nice (budget) compromise.

Good luck in your search!

Adi777

I have the Kali IN-5 and can wholeheartedly recommend the company. Price is unbeatable. The IN-5 already have plenty and clean bass, the IN-8 should be even better.
Kali IN-8v2 or Nubert XS-4000 RC?

anphex

Forum Donor
Kali IN-8v2 or Nubert XS-4000 RC?

Since Nubert fixed their beep-issue with the latest NuPro iteration I would go for the XS-4000 RC. It's up there with the larger Genelecs und Neumanns regarding bass extension and linearity. Also it has lots of adjustment possibilities and calibration through the app.

Top Bottom