• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

streamer recommendations for a true digital amp

Mogwai77

I am looking for a replacement for the Wiim mine feeding digitally into this amplifier,

HIRESFI AMPER502 True Digital Amplifier 2 x 50W​

The signal should feed into the amp via toslink. Thanks for any advice and sorry for the noob question.

OP
M

Mogwai77

no, I have the Wiim mini ... as I read multiple times in this forum: every streamer is better than the Wiim mini... so, what should it be?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Your budget, our reccomendations, go get Auralic, Rose etc

morillon

Major Contributor
I am looking for a replacement for the Wiim mine feeding digitally into this amplifier,

The signal should feed into the amp via toslink. Thanks for any advice and sorry for the noob question.
the amplifier being very modest the idea of the wiim mini seemed legitimate... can simply be looked at the side of the wiim pro (can often come across this at a knockdown price)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
as I read multiple times in this forum: every streamer is better than the Wiim min
Where do you read this? Mostly I see the wiim products being highly reccomended here.

If you are feeding Toslink to the amp, then you can't get better audio quality from any other streamer at any price.

So it comes down to features and streaming service support - which of these are missing in the wiim that you need? Only when we know this can we suggest a suitable alternative.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Where do you read this? Mostly I see the wiim products being highly reccomended here.

If you are feeding Toslink to the amp, then you can't get better audio quality from any other streamer at any price.

So it comes down to features and streaming service support - which of these are missing in the wiim that you need? Only when we know this can we suggest a suitable alternative.

From Amir's review:

If you use the App and Toslink output, you basically have a transparent wireless link to your stereo. Connect it to your favorite DAC and your performance will only be limited by the rest of your system. For me personally lack of Roon support is a big deal. I don't want to use their App to play or stream content. I hope the company looks at supporting Roon endpoint.

Just to reinforce the point.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your WiFi is not stable you could get the WiiM pro since the Mini doesn't have an ethernet jack. The Pro+ has physical remote which I always like. Pro and Pro+ are roon ready if that's something you want.

OldTimer

ARM Cortex & WM8805 & STA350BW
It’s good

OP
M

Mogwai77

Thanks - many of you got my point - nevertheless, I learned something.

I listened intensively to the Wiim mini and Ampere502 digital combo for a couple of days now (vacation ;-) ) and decided today to switch back to Denafrips Ares II and a FM300a knockoff as the soundstage seems much much wider and music is much more relaxed and I don`t get listening fatigue.
I keep the Wiim mini (with Tidal Connect and Tousling) however with a Chord Mojo2 as my headphone listening combo.
Thanks again to all of you - great forum and great community

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I listened intensively to the Wiim mini and Ampere502 digital combo for a couple of days now (vacation ;-) ) and decided today to switch back to Denafrips Ares II and a FM300a knockoff as the soundstage seems much much wider and music is much more relaxed and I don`t get listening fatigue.
I keep the Wiim mini (with Tidal Connect and Tousling) however with a Chord Mojo2 as my headphone listening combo.
Have fun. I know how narrow soundstages and stressed music can cause fatigue.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
no, I have the Wiim mini ... as I read multiple times in this forum: every streamer is better than the Wiim mini... so, what should it be?
Only those with an extreme Roon bias, which is a tiny minority here, reject the WiiM Mini as a fully viable streamer. WiiM’s other streamers support Roon.

morillon

Major Contributor

but what is the source in front of denafrips?

MarnixM

Hoi

Hoi Mogwai,
I myself running a Mercury V2 streamer from Pi2 Design with an I2S connection to my Topping DAC. I'm very pleased with the sound quality. I am running Volumio, but other options are available. The V2 is out of production but Michael Kelly (owner) recently posted:

Just a heads up that we are working on a new version Mercury. Naturally it will be called Mercury V3 because engineers are super dull and boring! Very similar to Mercury V2, but based on a Raspberry Pi 4 SBC instead of the CM4 Compute Module. The protos are underway and should be built and tested by the first week of November. Once tested pre-sales will start with Dec/Jan delivery.

Key features are:

Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB, Dual USB3, Dual USB2, HDMI and Gigabit Ethernet
WM8804 AES Transmitter with Ultra-Low Noise NDK Clocks
LM2941CS Low Noise 5V LDO followed by dual Ultra-Low Noise LDOs for clocks and WM8804
I2S over LVDS (HDMI) with PS-Audio or Gustard pinout
Parallel I2S (RJ45)
AES Balanced (XLR)
AES Coax (75 ohm BNC)
Toslink and SPDIF (RCA)
Extruded Aluminum Case

These are new and/or improved features
Internal low noise FAN (<24db) controlled by PWM
12V Input with mini-Noise Nuke (props to @atomicbob)
5.2V @ 5A Power Supply for Pi to support up to 1.5A on the USB Ports
Expansion Header for future internal Dual Mono AK4493S DAC Board

I would personally wait a bit to see what's coming there.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I myself running a Mercury V2 streamer from Pi2 Design with an I2S connection to my Topping DAC.
That is probably the worst possible way to connect a DAC with this hardware. It takes the I2S directly from the Pi, and the pi does not have any kind of decent clocking, so it will be very jittery. Better use AES or SPDIF.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
as the soundstage seems much much wider and music is much more relaxed
You can't get these effects in the digital domain.

If the digital data gets corrupted you can get clicks, pops, and dropouts but nothing that can effect the soundstage.

Usually digital corruption is gross and obvious... For example, a flipped-bit in your bank account is equally likely to cause a 1-cent error or a billion dollar error.

Lossy compression (MP3, etc.) can introduce artifacts that CAN be subtle and difficult to define but that's a different subject.

Soundstage is related to the recording, speakers, speaker placement, room acoustics, and the listener's brain.

Nobody knows what "relaxed" means. It's one of those words that means different things to different people.

You were listening "too hard" trying to hear a difference, and then explain it. You didn't do a proper blind, level-matched, ABX test.

Also see Audiophoolery for the characteristics that REALLY define sound quality, and the associated scientific/engineering terminology.

and I don`t get listening fatigue.
Psychology also depends more on the listener. Sometimes the appearance of the equipment affects how you feel. An expensive looking amplifier or a tube amplifier might make you more relaxed and less fatigued. And, maybe the music and loudness... Hip-hop and some pop music fatigues me, especially if it's loud or if it has that annoying one-note bass. A cheap subwoofer can give that one-note bass but it's better to discuss the poor bass than to describe the psychological effects.

Top Bottom