• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophiles editor Jim Austin publicly disagreeing with Kal Rubinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some have said that cables support brick-and-mortar audio stores, sort of like marking up bottles of wine 4X supports restaurants. That’s one reason to one-hand clap for expensive cables, I suppose.

Trell

Major Contributor
Some have said that cables support brick-and-mortar audio stores, sort of like marking up bottles of wine 4X supports restaurants. That’s one reason to one-hand clap for expensive cables, I suppose.

Another is to sell an insurance to the hapless customer.

trackrat888

But do you want to expand or remove such legislative requirements for sellers?
Find the right balance without being pedantic. Expand in the areas that can cause physical harm and/or predatory financial predicaments. Do this while not infringing on the "non-hapless". 30k audio cables do not fall anywhere in the above statement. And, if a person can afford 30k on cables, they are either non-hapless or are hapless and got the money from an inheritance from a non-hapless relative. I find it a waste of my time to try and go out and crusade for any if my comments above.

If not, perhaps people should advocate for a "ministry of truth" and only allow people to buy approved items. How do you think that would work out?

Trell

Major Contributor
Find the right balance without being pedantic. Expand in the areas that can cause physical harm and/or predatory financial predicaments. Do this while not infringing on the "non-hapless". 30k audio cables do not fall anywhere in the above statement. And, if a person can afford 30k on cables, they are either non-hapless or are hapless and got the money from an inheritance from a non-hapless relative. I find it a waste of my time to try and go out and crusade for any if my comments above.

If not, perhaps people should advocate for a "ministry of truth" and only allow people to buy approved items. How do you think that would work out?
Yet here you are wasting time.

trackrat888

Yet here you are wasting time.
Nope, because I'm not advocating for a crusade. I've no interest in calling "hapless" Weathy Individuals out on other forums tellin them they are hearing things.

I'm advocating for free choice without punitive punishment for vendors that decide to market 30k cables. I know 30k cables are stupidity, you know it, Kal knows it, Amir knows it etc.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was a reply to someone suggesting that amplifier companies might damage their reputation and therefore their business by getting into the cable market.

That didn't happen at Naim.

I don't have a problem with people selling expensive cables either. I believe responsibility should lie with the buyer to educate himself.
Oh whoops. We have exactly the same opinion then. :)

trackrat888

I'd like to advocate for a world where conjoined loaves can live free and happy lives away from cable believers. Alas, that will not be the case, so it's best to accept the reality that some people enjoy conjoined loaves

Btw, they smell great :p (edit: the bread, not $30k cable)

Attachments

• 20221120_141623.jpg
    20221120_141623.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 31

posvibes

Just reading the mission statement from the "about" Krell on their website and like most such statements it is fairly high blown but empty rhetoric with a lee way you could park a juggernaut in.

In terms of another thread concerning the retirement of audiophile terms I would suggest we begin with the term audiophile but I dare say that could lead to an "I am Spartacus" movement.

I will retire from this particular discussion and politely withdraw my two cents.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to advocate for a world where conjoined loaves can live free and happy lives away from cable believers. Alas, that will not be the case, so it's best to accept the reality that some people enjoy conjoined loaves

Btw, they smell great :p (edit: the bread, not $30k cable)
I want whirled peas!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone should let @ahofer know that @preload made the exact same argument that he did a few posts ago - that should make his day.

trackrat888

Just reading the mission statement from the "about" Krell on their website and like most such statements it is fairly high blown but empty rhetoric with a lee way you could park a juggernaut in.

In terms of another thread concerning the retirement of audiophile terms I would suggest we begin with the term audiophile but I dare say that could lead to an "I am Spartacus" movement.

I will retire from this particular discussion and politely withdraw my two cents.
Well, I'd bet half the folks here don't know who Kirk Douglas was or the zeitgeist around the personas he embodied.

I could say that I'd rather see "I am Spartacus" rather than the "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women" from Schwarzenegger's Conan. The latter characterization does seem to fit some (not all!) personalities here.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Things went downhill after their amps started lighting on fire.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Things went downhill after their amps started lighting on fire.

Interesting. That was for certain KAV series made January 1997 through February 2001 (so Krell's "budget" class AB lines iirc). Apparently 2300 units total were subject to recall. I reckon they made their best general production amps after that period (FBP and Evolution series, I'm excluding earlier limited editions like MRA because who knows) so I'll disagree with your specific topography.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. That was for certain KAV series made January 1997 through February 2001 (so Krell's "budget" class AB lines iirc). Apparently 2300 units total were subject to recall. I reckon they made their best general production amps after that period (FBP and Evolution series, I'm excluding earlier limited editions like MRA because who knows) so I'll disagree with your specific topography.
You could be right. I believe the recall occurred in 2009 though.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
You could be right. I believe the recall occurred in 2009 though.

if you are counting from 2009 I'm good (that being the year Dan and Rondi were pushed out). I guess the final and best iteration of the Evolution series came just after that, so maybe a small stretch.

Last edited:

birdog1960

This is because our education system is among the best in the world for those who can afford it just like our medical system. Those who can't, suffer and bring down the average. I have been in many places on four continents as a medical device start up engineer/manager/company founder. If you have severe and complicated issue you want to be treated in the USA if you can afford it. Our universities are full of affluent domestic and foreign students clamoring to get in. Its sad but true
With corporate medicine in control, they'd be wise to carefully consider the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom