• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophiles editor Jim Austin publicly disagreeing with Kal Rubinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I'm following.
MattHooper appears to be making the argument that loudspeakers have large, audible differences across models. If someone hears a difference, or clearly prefers Model A over Model B, you can't simply dismiss the subjective impression as "100% due to bias due to an unblinded comparison."

This is different from a situation where we do not necessarily accept that are large, audible differences (i.e. amps and DACs), and someone claims to hear a large difference.
Here is his argument. It is about speakers, which (I agree) are much more complicated to measure for all audible effects.

So here's the conundrum:

1. If sighted bias so reliably distorts our perception of the sound of speakers, then the blind tests seem to have little relevance to the real world conditions in choosing and listening to speakers, which will be done sighted. Our biases will distort the sound so who cares what it sounds like under blinded conditions?

BUT...

2. IF the blind tests for sonic quality are to have any relevance to our normal listening situation, you'd have to make the case that THE SOUND somehow predicts some level of listening satisfaction, that it carries over to sighted listening. So, somehow the specific pleasing sonic characteristics perceived under blind conditions will also be recognized under sighted conditions!

But to make the case for the relevance of blind tests in #2, you've just accepted *some* level of accuracy for sighted

There isn’t a conundrum here, as far as I can tell. For instance, if you accepted that sighted listening = (blind listening + other inputs), there is no contradiction that I can see.

Furthermore, if you think, as I do, that once we separate the effect of the signal from the room, etc., our perceptions may change and/or we can manipulate the sighted and other effects to our liking.

Attributing your biased perceptions exclusively to the equipment is indeed pretty useless. But saying it sounds great/awful despite measurements that suggest otherwise should send you to investigate *why*.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you imagine the reaction of Joe SixPack walking into one of todays Hi-End dealers thinking it was just another 1980s like stereo store looking to buy a small hi-fi for his house. o_O
I started work right after I got out of college at a small audio chain where one could buy a complete system for $300, or all the way to however much you wanted. HK and Sansui up to Mac and Audio Research. "Regular" people bought hi-fi systems. Not so much the case anymore. TVs, yes. HiFi, not so much. Multi-thousands for one freaking cable, puhleeze!

MAB

Major Contributor
Not sure I'm following.
MattHooper appears to be making the argument that loudspeakers have large, audible differences across models. If someone hears a difference, or clearly prefers Model A over Model B, you can't simply dismiss the subjective impression as "100% due to bias due to an unblinded comparison."

This is different from a situation where we do not necessarily accept that are large, audible differences (i.e. amps and DACs), and someone claims to hear a large difference.
We have drifted pretty far from the original argument in the Stereophile comments section. I appreciate that there are differences between speakers, sometimes obvious, and sometimes beyond my ability to understand from the measurements. I agree. But... The fringe lunatic that Jim Austin defended wasn't debating a reasonable position, like a preference score vs. personal preference for a couple of Genelec monitors. They were talking about OUTBOARD passive bi-wring. The logic is unhinged, just a few examples:
  • Apparently, if you passive biamp it is "unimpressive".
  • If you just regular bi-wire, you get poor sound.
  • You have to haul the crossovers out of your speakers, and then bi-wire.
I did try out passive-biAMP & sonically I was not impressed at all. So I dropped it.
OUTBoard cross-over network can provide the SHORTEST input single-wiring connection to the power amp & get the most pronounced sonic improvement. The technicality is LF+HF intermodulation along the same cable is reduced to absolute minimum !!! Standard single-wiring loudspeakers just got to 'suffer' such LF/MF/HF intermoduation in sharing the same cable. This is phsyics.
The supposed physics quoted here would have benefitted the most from the bi-amp config, if there was benefit to be had. It seems lots of posts in this thread kinda missed how odd this was so let me re-summarize; unhinged lunatic defended by Stereophile Editor, with dig on Kal, and a dose of science-bashing for good measure. It's not like Kal was on the attack or was debating real differences in speakers. It seems this guy leaves a trail of bad feelings all over too, but maybe that is me just confirming my bias in the way I searched his rantings and ravings...;) I said it before, there were lots of other ways to defend the Stereophile sandbox. I think it says something that Jim Austin chose this battle and this line of defense.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OUTBoard cross-over network can provide the SHORTEST input single-wiring connection to the power amp & get the most pronounced sonic improvement. The technicality is LF+HF intermodulation along the same cable is reduced to absolute minimum !!! Standard single-wiring loudspeakers just got to 'suffer' such LF/MF/HF intermoduation in sharing the same cable. This is phsyics.
The supposed physics quoted here would have benefitted the most from the bi-amp config, if there was benefit to be had. It seems lots of posts in this thread kinda missed how odd this was so let me re-summarize; unhinged lunatic defended by Stereophile Editor, with dig on Kal, and a dose of science-bashing for good measure. It's not like Kal was on the attack or was debating real differences in speakers. It seems this guy leaves a trail of bad feelings all over too, but maybe that is me just confirming my bias in the way I searched his rantings and ravings...;) I said it before, there were lots of other ways to defend the Stereophile sandbox. I think it says something that Jim Austin chose this battle and this line of defense.
Wut?

May I ask what physics this person was talking about? Can this person explain what physical mechanisms cause meaningful amounts of intermodulation distortions in cables?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
We have drifted pretty far from the original argument in the Stereophile comments section. I appreciate that there are differences between speakers, sometimes obvious, and sometimes beyond my ability to understand from the measurements. I agree. But... The fringe lunatic that Jim Austin defended wasn't debating a reasonable position, like a preference score vs. personal preference for a couple of Genelec monitors. They were talking about OUTBOARD passive bi-wring. The logic is unhinged, just a few examples:
  • Apparently, if you passive biamp it is "unimpressive".
  • If you just regular bi-wire, you get poor sound.
  • You have to haul the crossovers out of your speakers, and then bi-wire.

I jumped to the statements by Rubinson and Austin to be honest. I generally skim posts that display witless abuse of the shift and/or caps lock keys like direstraightsfan98 or Jack L in that comments thread because I take that as a sign their brains are glitching. Going back to Jack L I can barely follow, I mean I can but my brain resists.

So I agree, Austin could have simply not commented in that thread, and let the insanity to sink by itself, with a gentle prod from Rubinson. I think he was responding to 'blind testing' actually (so there is ample subtext). No one wants to do that on the regular, absent a research grant.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Wut?

May I ask what physics this person was talking about? Can this person explain what physical mechanisms cause meaningful amounts of intermodulation distortions in cables?
Yah. It's really hard to read this guy's posts. I would have added more quotes, but it is embarrassingly cringeworthy and I was gagging. They are all over the place.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yah. It's really hard to read this guy's posts. I would have added more quotes, but it is embarrassingly cringeworthy and I was gagging. They are all over the place.

Haha good choice. I got the gist. :)

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent post ahofer! I like your hypothesis!

I have trouble with this (and @MattHooper ’s “conundrum”, which is similar).

I agree that we listen with our eyes open and full knowledge of our equipment. But:

• I think it is important to understand the actual difference between audible signal and the other elements

Absolutely! If you want to gain more reliable evidence on what is causing some perception, of course you want to weed out variables, especially when you know perception can be influenced in all sorts of ways. If some cohort rates the sound of speaker A more highly than B, but under blinded conditions they rate them the opposite, you've not only learned which actual "sound" they prefer, you've learned that it's (in all likelihood) not the sound on it's own that resulted in the initial ratings. Something else is also influencing the perception. That's knowledge, and knowledge is power.

The problem is, as you indicate....

• I don’t think anyone has shown that the perceptions driven by non-audible stimuli are stable and repeatable (there’s at least *some* evidence that the audible part is)
  • If so much of our perception is driven by inaudible stimuli with stable effects, where is the research on how to enhance *those*? (I’ve suggested THC, but that’s sort of not comme Il faut for many around here).
My hypothesis is that the inaudible parts of perception are unstable and are part of what drives upgrade-itis and the endless supply of veils to be lifted.

Yes, the standard speaker blind tests tell us what to predict under blind settings, but they don't necessarily answer the questions of what predicts results in sighted listening. Someone would have to do tests aimed strictly at investigating those factors, but I'm also unaware that there is a body of work on this. I've seen some inferences made from the regular blind tests, but nothing that I know of rigorously investigates what outside influences will result in which perceptions in regards to speakers.

There isn’t a conundrum here, as far as I can tell. For instance, if you accepted that sighted listening = (blind listening + other inputs), there is no contradiction that I can see.

My first impression there is to totally agree; it sounds like you are making the case against being extremist about sighted listening - against the idea sighted listening to speakers is wholly worthless and uninformative. But I'm not as sure given your follow up comments...(?)...

Furthermore, if you think, as I do, that once we separate the effect of the signal from the room, etc., our perceptions may change and/or we can manipulate the sighted and other effects to our liking.

Not sure what you mean by "separate the effect of the signal from the room, etc." Do you mean taking steps to reduce room influence, to obtain more neutral sound?
If so, again, that continues to substantiate what I've argued: taking such steps is to make the assumption that, under sighted conditions, you will recognize the sound has in fact changed and you'd be able to identify the character of that change. (Otherwise, why would one bother going to the trouble?).

Attributing your biased perceptions exclusively to the equipment is indeed pretty useless.

Here's where I become unsure about your argument - what precisely you are claiming.

We can understand there is noise in the system in terms of our perception (biases, misleading heuristics etc), yet we can still be reasonable in coming to concussions about objective things, right? We have visual biases, and yet it's still reasonable to conclude the street really is full of quickly passing cars, so that we don't just walk on to the street. Likewise with our hearing. The question then is where are you drawing the line for calling some impression "useless?"

For instance, I just finished EQing some bass rumble out of a track that was obscuring dialogue and other sounds. No measurements needed, I could hear the bass sticking out, could hear the muffling effect on the track, could easily hear the difference after EQ. Can I presume you would not call these perceptions "useless?"
My work, and the work of countless people in sound, would be impossible if that were the case.

So then what about if I perceive some bass issues in my stereo set up - for instance I notice bass sounding bloated and emphasized in a certain frequency, notes reliably sticking out (- and maybe in moving positions the bass smoothens out, suggesting for instance the influence of a node in the room). I'm attributing that problem to something really happening in the sound in the room. Is that "useless?" If so, why would using the very same process of identifying these issues in my work be reasonable, but suddenly unreasonable and worthless in the case of listening to a stereo system? What magic line is being adduced there? The same goes for if I'm auditioning speakers and notice a bass emphasis or something like that.

So..can you clarify: when it comes to evaluating audio gear like speakers outside of scientific controls, what are you referring to as "pretty useless?"

But saying it sounds great/awful despite measurements that suggest otherwise should send you to investigate *why*.

Absolutely, if in fact someone wants to get to the bottom of such questions.

But back to the main theme: the conundrum I explicated only arises to the degree one overreaches with claims that sighted listening (in the case of speakers) is "useless." I'm still a bit unsure how far you are going with your own view.

If someone wants to say "I prefer to have scientifically rigorous evidence for any conclusion about a piece of audio gear" that's perfectly reasonable and then sighted impressions by that same person, or any other person will understandably deemed "useless" for meeting that criteria.

But the fact scientific controls can give us MORE reliable evidence is entirely different from proposing that the impressions we form, outside of scientific controls, is therefore Wholly Useless. That obviously can't be true, or we couldn't make it through the day using the perceptions gained by our senses. Which naturally leads to where it is reasonable to draw the line. (In a practical sense, as I've often argued, my line is drawn at Extraordinary Claims - e.g. claims about gear that are technically dubious. If someone comes back from auditioning two speakers and describes what he liked or disliked about each, I'll tentatively accept the account. Yes bias is ALWAYS hovering in the background, but the idea that the speakers have identifiable sonic differences is not extraordinary. If he's talking about comparing different USB cables, given the implausibility I'll want more rigorous evidence).

Cheers.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I jumped to the statements by Rubinson and Austin to be honest. I generally skim posts that display witless abuse of the shift and/or caps lock keys like direstraightsfan98 or Jack L in that comments thread because I take that as a sign their brains are glitching. Going back to Jack L I can barely follow, I mean I can but my brain resists.

So I agree, Austin could have simply not commented in that thread, and let the insanity to sink by itself, with a gentle prod from Rubinson. I think he was responding to 'blind testing' actually (so there is ample subtext). No one wants to do that on the regular, absent a research grant.

I have interacted with some of the stereophile commenters cited here, and it became so hallucinatory it felt like losing my mind. I'm less inclined these days...

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And there is your problem - you understand neither the technology (and therefore) nor the measurements.
That's mighty presumptive of you. Very engineer-like.
I could easily suggest that you, yourself, do not understand that the relationship between measurements and audibility (or inaudibility) cannot be presumed. There's a large, but incomplete body of research to establish that relationship.

But, I'll humor you. What specific measurements and at what thresholds do you believe PROVE that two DACs will sound identical in a properly controlled listening test? And what is your evidence to support it?

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps OT, but maybe not entirely.

Quite a few years ago, I along with a friend were visiting an audiophile friend. He is a believer in finding the best cables, power conditioners, IEC power cords and the like and well... I am not in that camp. I thought then as I do now that his quite expensive system sounds great, but I scratch my head every time he swaps out this AudioQuest cable for that Cardas cable etc.

Anyway, this day he wanted to show us his latest tweak. Since he knows I am a skeptic, he had both my friend and I close our eyes while he made a change. We listened and both agreed that the sound was somehow more "open and relaxed" or something along those lines. We then closed our eyes and he made another change. We heard the system revert back to its original state. He repeated this a couple of times... we followed his belief that in fact there was a small but perceptible improvement.

He then had us stand up allowing us to see what the change was. Mpingo discs. He was placing and removing three ebony Mpingo discs from the top of the speakers. Now, of course this was not a double blind test and I am confident if it had been none of us would have heard a change, but through no obvious body language or other verbal or nonverbal form of communication did he lead us to our conclusion... yet somehow his belief in what he was doing was conveyed to us and we went along with it.

At the end of the demonstration he put his Mpingo discs back on the speakers and proudly gave me six of these discs to take home and improve my system. Mine have never been "installed" but I keep them as a reminder of that day.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You dumb ass, put them on your speakers. :cool: Just kidding of course.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps OT, but maybe not entirely.

Quite a few years ago, I along with a friend were visiting an audiophile friend. He is a believer in finding the best cables, power conditioners, IEC power cords and the like and well... I am not in that camp. I thought then as I do now that his quite expensive system sounds great, but I scratch my head every time he swaps out this AudioQuest cable for that Cardas cable etc.

Anyway, this day he wanted to show us his latest tweak. Since he knows I am a skeptic, he had both my friend and I close our eyes while he made a change. We listened and both agreed that the sound was somehow more "open and relaxed" or something along those lines. We then closed our eyes and he made another change. We heard the system revert back to its original state. He repeated this a couple of times... we followed his belief that in fact there was a small but perceptible improvement.

He then had us stand up allowing us to see what the change was. Mpingo discs. He was placing and removing three ebony Mpingo discs from the top of the speakers. Now, of course this was not a double blind test and I am confident if it had been none of us would have heard a change, but through no obvious body language or other verbal or nonverbal form of communication did he lead us to our conclusion... yet somehow his belief in what he was doing was conveyed to us and we went along with it.

At the end of the demonstration he put his Mpingo discs back on the speakers and proudly gave me six of these discs to take home and improve my system. Mine have never been "installed" but I keep them as a reminder of that day.

I actually reviewed a pair of Shun Mook speakers a long time ago!

Even back then I didn't buy in to the mpingo disc stuff (tried them for sake of duty - didn't notice a thing to little surprise). The description of the speaker design also seemed dubious - multiple mpingo discs inside the cabinet for "tuning" and they "listened" to the signature of all sorts of wood to choose the cabinet material, etc.

But...holy hell did that speaker sound wonderful! It produced some of the most beautiful sound I've heard in my room.

My personal take-away from this was that my liking the speakers did not in of itself ratify the claims they made for the design. I mean you could take Revel Salons which sound great, put audiophile stickers on them, and then claim since they sound great it must be due to the "design choice" to included the stickers. Same goes for including mpingo discs etc in the Shun Mook speakers.

However, even if some of the technical claims were bogus, and even if the designers themselves bought in to everything they were doing, it seems like they managed to do enough right, or had tastes that coincided with mine at the time, so as to still produce some wonderful sound.

(I only requested to review them after I first heard them. I'd encountered the Shun Mook speakers set up in a dealer's room while wandering around the store, didn't know anything about them, thought they looked cheap like someone's shop project, but was surprised to be blown away by the sound).

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually reviewed a pair of Shun Mook speakers a long time ago!...

However, even if some of the technical claims were bogus, and even if the designers themselves bought in to everything they were doing, it seems like they managed to do enough right, or had tastes that coincided with mine at the time, so as to still produce some wonderful sound.
Just because their science is BS, it doesn't mean the speakers have to suck.

There was a time before practical FFT measurements, the discoveries of Floyd Toole and the Canadian National Research Council, followed on by Harman, and now added to through the use of a Klippel system that some pretty good sounding speakers were designed and built.

That said, placing three small discs weighing perhaps an ounce each on top of a 300 pound speaker? Yeah, that's going to change the resonance.

syn08

My hypothesis is that the inaudible parts of perception are unstable and are part of what drives upgrade-itis and the endless supply of veils to be lifted.

I would think in terms of noise; the information channel between the ear and the brain is very noisy; ”inaudible” means the artifact is buried in noise; therefore, any realization (subjective impression) of such an artifact is essentially random. In terms of information theory, such a realization carries no information.

posvibes

and/or we can manipulate the sighted and other effects to our liking.
I couldn't agree more, I have caught myself during listening in an inner dialogue making excuses, moving goal posts in real time, remembering the words of a post or two from a forum such as ASR and noticing I had the PEQ settings for a set of headphones on while listening to speakers in my room. (I sheepishly look around, smack myself in the head and wondering if a soundbar and sub is really more my speed and perhaps I'm a pretentious git:facepalm:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But the fact scientific controls can give us MORE reliable evidence is entirely different from proposing that the impressions we form, outside of scientific controls, is therefore Wholly Useless. That obviously can't be true, or we couldn't make it through the day using the perceptions gained by our senses. Which naturally leads to where it is reasonable to draw the line. (In a practical sense, as I've often argued, my line is drawn at Extraordinary Claims - e.g. claims about gear that are technically dubious. If someone comes back from auditioning two speakers and describes what he liked or disliked about each, I'll tentatively accept the account. Yes bias is ALWAYS hovering in the background, but the idea that the speakers have identifiable sonic differences is not extraordinary. If he's talking about comparing different USB cables, given the implausibility I'll want more rigorous evidence).
A bit long winded Matt but a very good post none the less. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom