• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Stereophile, Atkinson Out, Austin In

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
We all figured there'd be changes after Stereophile was sold by TEN to AVTech, a few small ones were made but today I learned this,

"Today, Stereophile announces its first major Editorial changes in decades, with an expansion of the Editorial team and a change in leadership.
Since 1986, through many generations of corporate ownership, John Atkinson (right, above) has been the Editor and bedrock of the magazine. After nearly 331/3 years, JA has decided to relinquish daily responsibility for producing the magazine and as of April 1 will take on a new (and newly established) position: Technical Editor. Stepping into his shoes as Editor will be long-time Stereophile contributor Jim Austin (left, above)."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-next-generation#2yJSZ9efwCUjgF0j.99

An interesting change in personal, I'm not really sure what to make of putting Austin at the helm, but time will tell.
As long as JA remains on-board as the new "Technical Editor" doing measurement reviews I'll stay on the sub rolls but if that should change for the worse, Stereophile will turn into just another phools wasteland competing to see who can write the most poetically infused articles.
Have you read an issue of TAS lately. :mad:

Opinions Here?

jtwrace

While he does a great job with some objective data, he still is a bit too far on the subjective side for my tastes. I much prefer ASR!

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
He's reached "full retirement age".

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Wasn't Jim Austin one of the more reasonable writers there?
Well he's very pro MQA so we will disagree on his being "reasonable". :p
But other than that he's kind of "middle of the road" and finds a way to ride the fence on strongly debatable issues..
I really don't know how to feel about this change, time will tell.

restorer-john

Major Contributor
Pretty much every elecronics and technical magazine I used to buy and read has fallen into a steaming pile once the old school editors who came up through the ranks, doing the hard yards in the 70s and 80s have retired/left/stepped down.

Basically, the beginning of the end, although it has been going downhill for a long time.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher

watchnerd

Major Contributor
Beer Hero

Thomas savage

Retired Sheriff
The Watchman
Patreon Donor
The best ' mag' ain't no rag it's a well grounded pile of one's and zeros that's made by all through interactivity .

A few more trusted contributors on the review front and you'd all have what you need for as long as you need it here.

What do you want stereophile for ? Keeping your loo roll on?

Top Bottom