• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sprinkle seminar Moving Mic Method

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
See details
Screenshot_20200625-115209.png

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Cool - I hope he goes into details of setting the RTA up in REW (or another program).

The method is well explained in one his studio videos but the settings to use aren't clear. I only found clarification of this on ASR (here).

Juhazi

Major Contributor
He has not invented MMM! Actuallly I don't know who can take merit of that, because several guidelines are a bit different

Jean-Luc Ohl in 2014
http://www.ohl.to/
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/262246-moving-mic-measurement.html
https://www.ohl.to/audio/downloads/MMM-moving-mic-measurement.pdf

My method is a bit different (in diyaudio link), and I've read about others too, but didn't find links now.
Other way is to take normal long gate sweeps with different mic positions and make an average of them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I even remember myself doing RTA MMM for car audio systems in the early 2000s as recommended back then from a German car audio magazine with the software Libinst Praxis, was a really big step to the right direction back then.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, hats off to Mr. Sprinkle. Genuine nice guy willing to share knowledge left, right and center. Tremendous respect for this gentleman - and for Kali Audio that's working hard to provide the world with excellent stuff on the cheaper side of things.

Looking forward to bigger stuff from them in the future.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Other way is to take normal long gate sweeps with different mic positions and make an average of them.

Rather time-consuming if you have several seating positions to go through over and over again.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the moving mic method with the Genelec 8020a at my desktop, and I'm a bit puzzled about the results - I seem to have quite a steep natural harman curve. Since the UMIK-1 is brand new I did not trust it and repeated the test with my old Behringer ECM8000 running through my Mackie 1402 VLZ PRO mixing console and the RME ADI-2 PRO fs (which also feeds pink noise to the Gennies). Here are the results:

Genelec 8020a - Moving mic method at 1.5m distance -  both channels driven - Behringer M8000 v...png

Well, apart from minor differences above 3kHz (probably due to the ECM8000 not being calibrated) both mics seem to work OK. Is there an explanation why the FR is falling so rapidly?

I also did a FR test with pink noise with both mics mounted 15 cm in front of the tweeter:

Genelec 8020a 15cm distance from tweeter Behringer M8000 vs UMIK-1.png

Even here the FR is falling quite a bit. Any ideas?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the moving mic method with the Genelec 8020a at my desktop, and I'm a bit puzzled about the results - I seem to have quite a steep natural harman curve. Since the UMIK-1 is brand new I did not trust it and repeated the test with my old Behringer ECM8000 running through my Mackie 1402 VLZ PRO mixing console and the RME ADI-2 PRO fs (which also feeds pink noise to the Gennies). Here are the results:

View attachment 71355

Well, apart from minor differences above 3kHz (probably due to the ECM8000 not being calibrated) both mics seem to work OK. Is there an explanation why the FR is falling so rapidly?

I also did a FR test with pink noise with both mics mounted 15 cm in front of the tweeter:

View attachment 71356
Even here the FR is falling quite a bit. Any ideas?

Did you set the RTA 1/24 octave mode setting instead of Spectrum when capturing pink noise?

1593528281545.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you set the RTA 1/24 octave mode setting instead of Spectrum when capturing pink noise?

View attachment 71364
No, I didn't. I've set Smoothing to 1/24th instead. Must have missed that in the video, 720p was a bit low to see what he did. Will try again after dinner, thanks.

Igor Kirkwood

He has not invented MMM! Actuallly I don't know who can take merit of that, because several guidelines are a bit different

Jean-Luc Ohl in 2014
http://www.ohl.to/
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/262246-moving-mic-measurement.html
https://www.ohl.to/audio/downloads/MMM-moving-mic-measurement.pdf

My method is a bit different (in diyaudio link), and I've read about others too, but didn't find links now.

It's interesting to compare Jean-Luc Ohl MMM method since 2014 with Kaliaudio's MMM .
See a mesure of my Mastering Studio 130 m3/listening position 3,10 meter ( 4 subs SVS) with Ohl MMM method.
Notice others information with sweep curves
98.15CL.5.90dBC.10-p1 (1).png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I didn't. I've set Smoothing to 1/24th instead. Must have missed that in the video, 720p was a bit low to see what he did. Will try again after dinner, thanks.
Done, looks much better now:

Genelec 8020a - Moving Mic Method at 1.5m distance - UMIK-1.png

The left channel (blue) is much stronger in the lows because the speaker is very close to the corner. This is the combined FR (both channels driven, RTA 1/48th):

Genelec 8020a - Moving Mic Method at 1.5m distance - both channels driven - UMIK-1.png

Clearly the dip below 200 Hz needs not be corrected because it results from a cancelling effect of both speakers - it's not seen in the individual FRs.

EDIT: forgot to tell that this is with the 85 Hz roll off engaged (there's an old KEF sub below the desk which was switched off).

Last edited:
Top Bottom