• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand-alone speaker recommendations

nordstjarne

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I stumbled upon this forum while searching for a review of the BOWERS & WILKINS FORMATION FLEX, which I'm considering purchasing.

It seems like this community advises against getting one, so I would appreciate your suggestions for a small standalone speaker that can play music, such as
Currently, I don't own a speaker, and I haven't had the opportunity to explore the realm of audio technology, so your input would be valuable to me.

My requirements:
- I'll be using Spotify, so I need to be able to connect my phone to the speaker.
- Ideally, it should be small; the B&W Formation Flex seems like the perfect size, but I'm open to something slightly larger.
- Price-wise, it shouldn't exceed 5000 NOK, roughly equivalent to $500.
- It can be an older model; I'm willing to buy second-hand, although I won't be able to repair it if it breaks.
- I prefer a speaker with not too strong bass.
- It should play jazz and folk music well.

Thank you for your suggestions!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would you like this speaker to be battery- or mains-powered?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I stumbled upon this forum while searching for a review of the BOWERS & WILKINS FORMATION FLEX, which I'm considering purchasing.

It seems like this community advises against getting one, so I would appreciate your suggestions for a small standalone speaker that can play music, such as
Currently, I don't own a speaker, and I haven't had the opportunity to explore the realm of audio technology, so your input would be valuable to me.

My requirements:
- I'll be using Spotify, so I need to be able to connect my phone to the speaker.
- Ideally, it should be small; the B&W Formation Flex seems like the perfect size, but I'm open to something slightly larger.
- Price-wise, it shouldn't exceed 5000 NOK, roughly equivalent to $500.
- It can be an older model; I'm willing to buy second-hand, although I won't be able to repair it if it breaks.
- I prefer a speaker with not too strong bass.
- It should play jazz and folk music well.

Thank you for your suggestions!
I like that song. Thanks for sharing.

OP
N

nordstjarne

Thank you. I will check that out!

OP
N

nordstjarne

Here's an option:

EDIT: These are only sold in pairs, at least at Sweetwater.com where I looked.

Thanks for the recommendation, I like the quality of the sound but I'm unfortunately discouraged by the look. Ideally, I would get something with a more modern design.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A battery would be the best option.
Are you looking for a directional speaker that needs to be pointed roughly at the listeners, or something that plays in all directions?

Usually, the omnidirectional speakers come with a slight penalty to sound quality.

OP
N

nordstjarne

Are you looking for a directional speaker that needs to be pointed roughly at the listeners, or something that plays in all directions?

Usually, the omnidirectional speakers come with a slight penalty to sound quality.
Good question that I have not considered. After looking at the previously recommended speakers I see Sonos Five as a decent option, I guess it is not an omnidirectional speaker though. But I will get a taste of it in a local store to see how I like it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Good question that I have not considered. After looking at the previously recommended speakers I see Sonos Five as a decent option, I guess it is not an omnidirectional speaker though. But I will get a taste of it in a local store to see how I like it.
The Sonos Five cannot be battery-powered. It needs to be plugged into the wall.

If you're looking for a speaker that can be used wirelessly, then take a look at the Sonos Move 2.

Top Bottom