• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spending ratios on a hifi system

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be very happy to see more details about this project.

I did a long, very detailed "build thread" detailing the process on the AVSforum, back in 2010. Unfortunately all the images in that thread of the construction and finished room disappeared. They were hosted on a website that moved from free to paid subscription, and they just deleted photos from anyone who didn't switch to the paid subscription. That was crushing. Haven't got the photos back up in to that thread.

This thread has a description of the system back then:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-w...259917-rich-s-variable-image-size-system.html

This is the long build thread (sucks without photos):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-d...size-home-theater-build-thread-completed.html

But if you want to see a few pictures of the current state of my room you can see some in a thread I made detailing my building of an isolation platform for my new turntable:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-...table-isolation-illustrated.html#post57025304

The room remains a compromise, mostly due to my crazy insistence on keeping the home theater and 2 channel systems separate and having the room doing double duty. So the home theater speakers are covered in black velvet along the black velvet screen wall (disappear from view in the dark/no reflective surfaces near the projection screen). My 2 channel speakers are placed well out from the screen wall and placement is quite restricted in terms of back and forth from the seating position due to the fact the speakers can easily block the room entrance.

I think this is where the good room acoustics pay dividends because I can drop speakers - any speakers - right there were you see them in the photo and I get beautiful, smooth, evenly balanced sound from the listening position. The speakers in the above thread are my Thiel 2.7 speakers.
I just bought Joseph Audio Perspective speakers, which are in place of the Thiels. (Though I hang on to the Thiels, as I have other speakers I own, because I like to swap speakers now and then to keep things interesting). The fact that the right floor standing speaker often ends up almost butted up to the end of the sofa has never had any notably deleterious effect on the sound.

We did a drop down ceiling in to which acoustic properties (absorption etc) are hidden, and there is absorption hidden in the screen wall corners, as well as some near the listening sofa. I have a velvet cover that goes over the reflective fireplace near the left speaker, which does a good job of taking away hash/brightness from that reflection point. I also have a diffusor that I'll move around if I need. Also, curtains can be slid along rails to any point in the room, on all walls, so I can control the amount of bare reflective wall to dial in sound. Further, because the projection screen wall is actually a giant velvet 4-way remote controlled masking system, I can dial in the amount of reflectivity by changing the screen size (the more I open up the black velvet masking to reveal more screen, the more reflectivity, the more vivid and airy the sound gets).

Cheers.

LancerFIN

1. Room treatments
~500€ for basstraps, 250€ for diffusers, 200€ for absorption.
2. Speakers
2600€ for B-stock pair of XTZ Divine 100.33. MSRP would have been 3560€.
1150€ for Arendal Subwoofer 1.5
3. Amplifier
220€ if I remember correctly for used 90's vintage Yamaha MX-50 power amplifier
4. DAC
99€ for Procaster DW-4337H AV preamplifier
6. Cabling
50€ spent on cabling at most.

It was an amazing journey learning about acoustics, posting results to forums and learning to read measurements. Had to accomodate my best friend for a year so I had to make sacrifices on my stereo setup. Afterwards my own life broke down with the loss of ability to work. Been a 2 years since the last time I measured my room so currently it's probably a long way from my best measurements. Even though I no longer have the ability to invest in to a new gear I wish I could get back my motivation to tune my system now that I am no longer being limited by a roommate.

Attachments

• _DSC9807.jpg
    _DSC9807.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136
  • DSC04369.jpg
    DSC04369.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 108
  • PuLJRZI.jpg
    PuLJRZI.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 106
  • sFviGnC.jpg
    sFviGnC.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 110
  • eR4dkxz.jpg
    eR4dkxz.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 110
  • WQ9ngs7.jpg
    WQ9ngs7.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 96

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
1. Room treatments
~500€ for basstraps, 250€ for diffusers, 200€ for absorption.
2. Speakers
2600€ for B-stock pair of XTZ Divine 100.33. MSRP would have been 3560€.
1150€ for Arendal Subwoofer 1.5
3. Amplifier
220€ if I remember correctly for used 90's vintage Yamaha MX-50 power amplifier
4. DAC
99€ for Procaster DW-4337H AV preamplifier
6. Cabling
50€ spent on cabling at most.

It was an amazing journey learning about acoustics, posting results to forums and learning to read measurements. Had to accomodate my best friend for a year so I had to make sacrifices on my stereo setup. Afterwards my own life broke down with the loss of ability to work. Been a 2 years since the last time I measured my room so currently it's probably a long way from my best measurements. Even though I no longer have the ability to invest in to a new gear I wish I could get back my motivation to tune my system now that I am no longer being limited by a roommate.

Nothing looks particularly amiss here that's major, IMO. Maybe play around with a different measuring technique e.g. MMM

Your averaged RTA response may actually already be much better than what you get with single point sweep impressions.

600lbs of Sin

FWIW, I couldn’t aim my speakers correctly to achieve proper soundstage until I put a 2” absorption panel on the side wall first reflection point. Once the panel was in the right place, voila! Thanks to Ethan Winer’s formula on his real traps website. I no longer use room correction software. It simply could not fix this issue.

Evenor

Forum Donor
I have had similar experiences and it's incredible how good it can get even in a budget system if set up well. Crosstalk and signal to noise ratio also seems to matter a lot for soundstage.

Top Bottom