• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers cable help

maty

Major Contributor
Star quad, the best geometry to build audio and power cables
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156793.0

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+quad+speaker+cable

-> https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/bi-w...aker-cable-copper-4x208mm-o107mm-p-11708.html € 4.90 / m

canare-4s11-star-quad-speaker-cable-copper-4x208mm-o107mm.jpg

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I've always used the 4S11... plus it sleeves very nicely with this... throw on some heatshrink or cable pants and terminate to suit - and you've got a >$500 looking cable for <$50.

It doesn't work/sound any better - but it's purdy. ;)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Star quad, the best geometry to build audio and power cables
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156793.0

LOL... not that I'm arguing against star quad geometry per se (esp. since the cable I use is)... just laughing at your link to your own outside post as referrence. Don't ever change @maty it would be boring. I suppose the appropriate question is, in an ABX were you able to differentiate between a simple stranded pair and a star-quad cable? ;)

You must have EMI noise "up the wazoo"... I've never been able to hear a difference at all (I just see one when I sleeve a thicker cable). Of course, I've never heard my power cables at all... so that could be just my ears. :rolleyes:

maty

Major Contributor
If we have no noise and interference problems we will not notice differences. But we are more and more likely to have them. The latter, the blissful cheap LED with cheap/bad transformers that fail to comply with the rigorous European regulations and make the electricity grid and the atmosphere dirty with a lot of RF/EMI.

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/...s-to-led-lights-causing-tv-radio-interference

Philips-MR16-LED-RF-Interference

http://www.ledbenchmark.com/faq/LED-interference-issues.html

no83_netnoise.JPG

In Audio, the RF interferences (f < 1 Mhz) are the important.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Properly fitted connectors are probably the most important concern. I have had a channel drop out because the cleaning lady had been a bit enthousiastic. Neutrik make great professional grade connectors but sadly a lot of home audio gear still uses traditional styles.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Properly fitted connectors are probably the most important concern. I have had a channel drop out because the cleaning lady had been a bit enthousiastic. Neutrik make great professional grade connectors but sadly a lot of home audio gear still uses traditional styles.

That's why I like to use locking bananas as opposed to plain. Either that or bare wire on the speaker end where there's more room to work with. I do really like the Neutrik's but not enough to retrofit for them. Then again my cleaning lady is my wife or myself... so we just don't go there. If I ever hire someone else to do the cleaning... there will be a hard 2ft radius rule for anything with a wire. :)

In Audio, the RF interferences (f < 1 Mhz) are the important.
Then why bother showing them highlighted in the 96MHz-110MHz range? And how much is it at 18kHz? Because I can't even hear that anymore and it's much lower than 1MHz. ;)

Unless the OP is specifically dealing with huge noise issues related to their power grid or LED lighting - I think it's safe to say that the similarities between wire geometries are infinitely greater than their differences - especially at the same gauge/distance. Regardless, you win this round... sorry I poked the bear guys. :facepalm:

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Because a cheap/bad generate and radiate RF too. I commented on the LED lights because it is the last thing to arrive and that it is contaminating the power grid. The penultime was the cheap mobile chargers. And so, you add small amounts and in the end we have too much noise and interference in urban concentrations.

Last edited:

nm4711

I would use a copper cable with a cross-section are of 1,5 mm^2 or 2,5 mm^2. Bigger is better but those should suffice.

There are CCA cables made of aluminium and a some copper. They are cheaper, because aluminium is cheaper, but have a higher resistance with the same cross section area.

I bought my cables from thomann.de, but the shipping costs are high to Italy.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a copper cable with a cross-section are of 1,5 mm^2 or 2,5 mm^2. Bigger is better but those should suffice.

There are CCA cables made of aluminium and a some copper. They are cheaper, because aluminium is cheaper, but have a higher resistance with the same cross section area.

Sure, but that is easily addressed by using a slightly larger cross section cable. On the other hand, i would not use aluminium for anything that needs to be flexible - it is fine for permanent installation.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because a cheap/bad generate and radiate RF too. I commented on the LED lights because it is the last thing to arrive and that it is contaminating the power grid. The penultime was the cheap mobile chargers. And so, you add small amounts and in the end we have too much noise and interference in urban concentrations.

How do you feel about 5G mobile and wifi? :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Because a cheap/bad generates and radiates RF too.

@Matey, your seeming misfortune regarding mains power system problems seems to be an isolated problem that you may have. Repeatedly offering specific advice based on your situation, in this regard, is hardly relevant to what most members will experience.
Nerd.png

maty

Major Contributor
A good star quad cable is not that expensive. And one can build it easily.
@Matey, your seeming misfortune regarding mains power system problems seems to be an isolated problem that you may have. Repeatedly offering specific advice based on your situation, in this regard, is hardly relevant to what most members will experience. View attachment 36674

A good star quad cable is not that expensive. And one can easily build it with quality connectors that make very good contact like bananas locked or speakon. And each speaker wire has 2+2 mm2 = 4 mm2.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good star quad cable is not that expensive. And one can build it easily.

A good star quad cable is not that expensive. And one can easily build it with quality connectors that make very good contact like bananas locked or speakon.

It is not about cost or price. What Wombat wrote was "Repeatedly offering specific advice based on your situation, in this regard, is hardly relevant to what most members will experience."

If you only know about nails, your advice will always be "use a hammer"...

BillG

Major Contributor

The properties of copper-clad aluminium wire include:

• Less expensive than a pure copper wire
  • Lighter than pure copper
  • Higher electrical conductivity than pure aluminium
  • Higher strength than aluminium
  • Electrical connections are typically more reliable than pure aluminium
  • Typically produced as a 10% or 15% by copper volume product
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper-clad_aluminium_wire

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@Matey, your seeming misfortune regarding mains power system problems seems to be an isolated problem that you may have. Repeatedly offering specific advice based on your situation, in this regard, is hardly relevant to what most members will experience. View attachment 36674

Or the product of a vivid imagination.

Top Bottom