• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers cable help

I have been reading the forum for weeks. Thanks to you I discovered the DAC Topping (I bought the D30) and the Hypex modules (I bought an amplifier based on these modules).
I am very satisfied with these purchases.
Now I was wondering what I have to do to get decent speaker cables. I have not found clear answers on this ... :)
Which metal should be made? What diameter? The bigger they are the better? Do they have to be twisted? I need about 2 meters in length.
Thank you all
Hello
Stefano

Willem

Major Contributor
At that length any ordinary electricity cable will be enough. The advantage of cheap loudspeaker cable over standard electricity cable is that it usually has either a different colour or some other marking to keep plus and minus apart. A little bit thicker than the minimum may also be a good idea. Don't waste any money on audiophile frauds.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks but Monoprice is in the USA. I am in Italy.
Can you please link to a good Monoprice speaker's cable, just to check?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most 12 ga stranded wire will work, but avoid the aluminum stuff with copper plating. The stuff I use is designed to wire car and RV sound systems and can be purchased where construction electrical supplies are sold.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I recommend Canare 4s11 as a stock standard. It consists of two twisted pairs and can be easily terminated for two-wire or four-wire connections. About $1.50/foot. Should be available anywhere.

Midwest Blade

You can probably find cable made by companys like - Belden, Mogami, Canare or Cardas. Buy in bulk and cut to your length and terminate yourself with whatever connector you like. Mogami W3103, Canare 4S11or Cardas 101 is pretty much available world wide so I am sure would be available in Italy.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks but Monoprice is in the USA. I am in Italy.
Can you please link to a good Monoprice speaker's cable, just to check?
What @Midwest Blade said.

I suggest you to use 11AWG industry/Pro standards cables:

- The Canare 4S11 (Blue Jean assembled version is available at Amazon Italy)

- The Mogami 3103 (Available at Audiophonics and others)

- I don't recommend Cardas, being known to sell overpriced BS.

No more, no less. Whatever how high end your system, you will never need pricer speaker cables than these.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks!
I will think about the Canare available in Italy. They cost a bit too much, about Euro 100 for the wo cables.

What @Midwest Blade said.

I suggest you to use 12AWG industry/Pro standards cables:

- The Canare 4S11 (Blue Jean assembled version is available at Amazon Italy)

- The Mogami 3103 (Available at Audiophonics and others)

- I don't recommend Cardas, being known to sell overpriced BS.

No more, no less. Whatever how high end your system, you will never need pricer speaker cables than these.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I was wondering what I have to do to get decent speaker cables.
What are your existing cables? They may well be decent.
Which metal should be made? What diameter? The bigger they are the better? Do they have to be twisted?
Copper.
Bigger is better, but for short runs like you need much less important, 12awg is plenty.
Not sure about the twisted for a short run.

OP
S
I have an old electric wire that is about 15 years old with 4 braided poles that a friend gave me a long time ago. But since I just took a DAC and an amplifier with Hypex modules I would like to take something newer and less rigid.

What are your existing cables? They may well be decent.

Copper.
Bigger is better, but for short runs like you need much less important, 12awg is plenty.
Not sure about the twisted for a short run.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom