• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers and AMP for 2.1 setup under 500€

OP
B

Bucking

Thank you :)

Amazon has some cheap ones these should be good enough

Reactions: MAB

uwotm8

Get used AudioQuest Type 4/Type 8/Rocket 44 from ebay I'd say, if there's some cheap pieces (it happens):p
If no, any generic copper cable, Klotz/Cordial/Canare 2x2.5 mm2 or even 2x1.5 mm2 and so on.

Willem

Major Contributor
He is in Germany. But not to worry, just about any piece of wire will do.

MAB

Major Contributor
Get used AudioQuest Type 4/Type 8/Rocket 44 from ebay I'd say, if there's some cheap pieces (it happens):p
If no, any generic copper cable, Klotz/Cordial/Canare 2x2.5 mm2 or even 2x1.5 mm2 and so on.
Rocket44 lists for over $500 for an absurdly short 3 foot length ($1000 for a useable length). This is more than OP's budget for entire system. Even used, absolutely absurd. Very odd recommendation, when you can get sonically transparent wires from the recycling bin. Maybe if they were ~$20 for a pair of 10 foot scraps. Even then, most would need to hide them since they are gaudy. Type 4 and 8 are still a budget killer, sure to reduce meanaiungful audio purchases going forward.

uwotm8

Even used, absolutely absurd
Years back I managed to get 2x2m Slate for under $100, and for me it's a borderline between "why not" and "stupid".
Also got 2m pair Chicago RCA in 2022 for roughly $80.
Both were genuine, Slate is from that era without fakes, Chicago is simply too cheap to bother.
Same lenght by Canare/Monacor/Klotz would cost me like $20-30 so, again, why not?
if there's some cheap pieces
Means few dozens not hundreds.

delta76

Major Contributor
Why? Kabeldirekt is good, cheap, readily available. I believe some are made in Germany if OP prefers that.
I am yet to see an AudioQuest product that justifies its price

MAB

Major Contributor
There is not, but, same as Samsung phones, if you buy it for more than 40% of retail price, it's plain stupid:)
Even at 40% off AudioQuest cables are bad deals. Even under $100 is an absurd price for speaker wire. Under $10 is more like it. Unless you just want it, and can burn the cash. But, looking at OP's stated budget, not even a reasonable consideration, especially for zero sonic change.

uwotm8

Even under $100 is an absurd price for speaker wire
Klotz LY225 bulk is 4 Euro/m so 16-20 Euro for 2-2.5m/pair. This is one of a cheapest cables you can expect to be made of copper at least.

delta76

Major Contributor
Klotz LY225 bulk is 4 Euro/m so 16-20 Euro for 2-2.5m/pair. This is one of a cheapest cables you can expect to be made of copper at least.
Kabeldirekt has is about 20EUR for 15m 2x2.5mm2, buy a few pairs of banana plugs from them for 6 EUR and you get high quality OFC speaker wires with marking.

Audioquest is just a bad deal in any way you look at them

uwotm8

a few pairs of banana plugs from them for 6 EUR
It's 15 for 5 pairs, and I'd rather use bare cable than such bananas. Crimpable ones are fine tho.
Their LS cable, well, if you have to spend the same... do you really need 15m?
Klotz is just better made with its double isolation. Or Canare, or other "pro" solutions for same price. Simply more pleasant to deal with.

delta76

Major Contributor
It's 15 for 5 pairs, and I'd rather use bare cable than such bananas. Crimpable ones are fine tho.
Their LS cable, well, if you have to spend the same... do you really need 15m?
Klotz is just better made with its double isolation. Or Canare, or other "pro" solutions for same price. Simply more pleasant to deal with.
They have multiple lengths and gauges, OP can pick what fits best. I am sure there are several options that more or less same quality/price, but I used Kabeldirekt myself and am happy with it for the reasons I mentioned (price, quality, pure copper, made in Germany)
The point is that there is no point looking for audioquest cables, used or not. I automatically skip anything from Audioquest, supra, futuretech, and of course nordost, just to name a few. there are so many equivalent or better options out there for much less money.

uwotm8

I automatically skip anything from Audioquest, supra, futuretech, and of course nordost
As far as I don't feel a need to rationalize myself spending $20 to $100 on a cable which lasts for years, and have no ideology or sort of "cancelling" against any brand - will buy if there's a good price.
They have multiple lengths and gauges
ONE type of cable with 3 gauge options and lenghts from 10m and above, and ONE type of bananas on their web site with 5 or 10 pair lot options:)
Maybe local stores are different - I don't know

delta76

Major Contributor
As far as I don't feel a need to rationalize myself spending $20 to $100 on a cable which lasts for years, and have no ideology or sort of "cancelling" against any brand - will buy if there's a good price.

ONE type of cable with 3 gauge options and lenghts from 10m and above, and ONE type of bananas on their web site with 5 or 10 pair lot options:)
Maybe local stores are different - I don't know
You can buy what you like. Just don't recommend things that don't bring values, especially to new members

MAB

Major Contributor
It's not really AudioQuest, although you have to doubt the company for trying to sell wires for hundreds or thousands.
It was your original advice:
Get used AudioQuest Type 4/Type 8/Rocket 44 from ebay I'd say, if there's some cheap pieces (it happens)
This is an absurd recommendation list for someone asking for a system on a $500 budget. Even a pair of Type 4 are for people without practical budget constraints, the others are just obscenely expensive and really should only cost a few bucks. And to dispel any uncertainty over the price of copper... There is about $1 of copper as commodity in a pair of 10 foot AQ Rocket44 that list for $999. And saying that AQ cables will last for years doesn't make them a source of value, lasting for years is a basic expectation and requirement of wires.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been looking for suitable speakers plus AMP/DAC/Receiver for a small *2.1* setup for the TV (I already have a subwoofer).
Price-wise, I could spare up to 500€ and am definitely willing to buy used. I'm located in Germany so not everything is available to me.
After looking at some tests and reviews on ASR/Youtube/Etc., I'm almost more undecided than before due to the many different opinions and amount of products that are out there.
Are there any recommendations from you (I won't be upgrading to 5.1)
Make and model of the sub-woofer?

OP
B

Bucking

So another question, the Yamaha has the option to switch between different Ohm levels. For the Q350 I should put it on low right?

1000018609.png

Top Bottom