• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers and AMP for 2.1 setup under 500€

BossBunos

Personally I'm pretty excited about the coming WiiM amp. I own the WiiM pro streamer and really like it (also connected to my tv). If the amp performing well that should be a real good option. It has optical in for tv, an integrated streamer and subwoofer out. I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a couple of bands for PEQ and sub crossover. But that would only leave 150 for the speakers which are obviously the most important part. Would be nice if you could save a little longer and get used revel m16 m105 or m106 or kef r3. Good luck!

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the budget indicated you have purchased one of the best possible amp/speaker combinations.
Simply enjoy what you purchased without looking back and thinking "what if I had gotten this, what if I had gotten that"
I assure you that what you have now, although cheap, can make you really enjoy your music.

uwotm8

It's not really AudioQuest
Is that a classic "BMW starts from 5 series" thing? Yep, it's just some good cables with proper construction and made of proper materials. Which also don't look like re-branded Cordial-grade OEM outside and inside (somehow it matters to me). So at least thicc "hyperlitz" is made by orded if not in-house.
For like 5th time: you never buy it for full price. That's stupid, plain stupid. Same as you don't buy Samsung and Harman (owned by Samsung, hehe) products for full price. And other which trade model is kinda constant sale. Even KEF Q150/Q350 gained popularity only beacuse of 50% discount, who buys those for $600?
GGWP for those who buy Type 4 or Rockerts for $1k but they will actually sell it soon for 1/3 or less of its price and buy some "next level". Then you will see it on ebay.
I've checked ebay and I'm sorry to underestimatin snake oil prices these days, was cheaper years before.
Sorry for the offtopic. let's stop it.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bucking

OK so I just set up the system and it sounds wonderful. Might do a little bit of EQ with the Yamaha.

Just one more question there's a pure direct mode but for movies I should leave that off right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK so I just set up the system and it sounds wonderful. Might do a little bit of EQ with the Yamaha.

Just one more question there's a pure direct mode but for movies I should leave that off right?
Pure direct just turns off all DSP.
DSP has value for both movies and music.

OP
B

Bucking

Sorry to bother again but I just wanted to ask if what I'm doing is correct.

Currently I have my Yamaha AS 301 connected to my TV via optical cable and my TV is connected to my Laptop via HDMI to playback media.
I've enabled FlipFlops EQ for the Kefs through Equalizer APO

Does the EQ drop in quality since it goes from my laptop to the TV to the Yamaha and then to the speakers.

Also since I have the EQ enabled on my PC should I enable pure direct mode on the Yamaha? (That disables loudness sadly)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would have considered putting a USB DAC, between the Laptop and the A-S301.
Laptop USB to DAC, DAC to line-input (RCA) on the A-S301.

MAB

Major Contributor
Sorry to bother again but I just wanted to ask if what I'm doing is correct.

Currently I have my Yamaha AS 301 connected to my TV via optical cable and my TV is connected to my Laptop via HDMI to playback media.
I've enabled FlipFlops EQ for the Kefs through Equalizer APO

Does the EQ drop in quality since it goes from my laptop to the TV to the Yamaha and then to the speakers.

Also since I have the EQ enabled on my PC should I enable pure direct mode on the Yamaha? (That disables loudness sadly)
You should be fine. The EQ quality/performance/characteristics will not degrade!
You can turn Pure Direct off or on if you want! I wouldn't worry about intrinsic sound degradation, it is just a simple way to defeat the eq. with no other impact or benefit to the sound!

MAB

Major Contributor
I would have considered putting a USB DAC, between the Laptop and the A-S301.
Laptop USB to DAC, DAC to line-input (RCA) on the A-S301.
Why?
The USB input to a DAC will have no difference in sound. And if USB was used, OP wouldn't be able to listen to content from TV (assuming OP doesn't have a USB-enabled TV!), which I think was the main objective. Also, external DAC would break OP's budget for something they already have!

OP
B

Bucking

If I ever were to get a center (Kef Q150 maybe) I'd need to get an AVR right?
But these don't seem to measure very good here on ASR :/

delta76

Major Contributor
If I ever were to get a center (Kef Q150 maybe) I'd need to get an AVR right?
But these don't seem to measure very good here on ASR :/
As I mentioned before. Get an x3600h and you are golden. An older version like x3400h or x3500h will be just fine (x3600h is probably 700€ used which is way out of your budget)
Avr can't compete on sinad with the like of purifi but they are perfectly fine for your setup. I think x3600h would even outperform your S301

Top Bottom