• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker recommendation for PC

Tyrwarz

Hello guys,
I'm currently searching for some small speakers to pair with my Topping DX3 Pro+.

I just want to use the speakers to listen to music, nothing else.

My current top choice is the Genelec "G One" as they are small and often recommended.
However, I'm not sure if they might be overkill since I'm only intending to use them for listening to music.

I live in Germany and my budget is up to 500€.

Edit: Sorry i meant the "G One" not "The One"

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
How is your top choice Genelec's The Ones with a budget of 500€?

The cheapest of Genelec's The Ones, the 8331a, costs 4000€ a pair.

Or do you mean the Genelec G One?

OP
T

Tyrwarz

How is your top choice Genelec's The Ones with a budget of 500€?

The cheapest of Genelec's The Ones, the 8331a, costs 4000€ a pair.

Or do you mean the Genelec G One?

Yes sorry for the confusion i meant the Genelec G One

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes sorry for the confusion i meant the Genelec G One
If you're interested in the G One, then I'd strongly recommend you choose the 8010a instead.

Not only is it usually about 100-150€ less expensive per pair, but its balanced XLR input is resilient against ground loops and interference, even if your DAC has RCA output.

XLR inputs are fully compatible with RCA outputs and, using the right cable, the connection can be properly impedance balanced, just like a native XLR connection, with all its noise cancelling attributes.

As for whether the G One/8010a is the best choice with ~500€ budget, I guess it depends on how small you want your speakers to be.

It's possible to get better bass extension for example, if you can compromise slightly on speaker size.

OP
T

Tyrwarz

If you're interested in the G One, then I'd strongly recommend you choose the 8010a instead.

Not only is it usually about 100-150€ less expensive per pair, but its balanced XLR input is resilient against ground loops and interference, even if your DAC has RCA output.

XLR inputs are fully compatible with RCA outputs and, using the right cable, the connection can be properly impedance balanced, just like a native XLR connection, with all its noise cancelling attributes.

As for whether the G One/8010a is the best choice with ~500€ budget, I guess it depends on how small you want your speakers to be.

It's possible to get better bass extension for example, if you can compromise slightly on speaker size.

Thank you, i didn't know about impedance balanced RCA to XLR, i will have to look more into it.

I don't mind compromising on a "slightly" bigger size as the genelec are fairly small in comparison to others.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Tyrwarz
Here's a list of micro/compact Monitors at or around your budget, that I'd look into:

Here are some reviews with measurements:

Unfortunately, no measurements exist of the ORA, Pro 4, and Shape 40, so those are somewhat wildcards.

The other six monitors are completely flat on-axis.
In terms of bass extension, here's how they compare:
Micro Monitors.png
ASR=AudioScienceReview
EAC=Erin's Audio Corner
MFR=Manufacturer

Basically, of the six that we have measurements for, the iLoud Micro and Vanatoo Encore Plus play the deepest.

Attachments

• Micro Monitors MDAT.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
T

Tyrwarz

@Tyrwarz
Here's a list of micro/compact Monitors at or around your budget, that I'd look into:

Here are some reviews with measurements:

Unfortunately, no measurements exist of the ORA, Pro 4, and Shape 40, so those are somewhat wildcards.

The other six monitors are completely flat on-axis.
In terms of bass extension, here's how they compare:
View attachment 351774
ASR=AudioScienceReview
EAC=Erin's Audio Corner
MFR=Manufacturer

Basically, of the six that we have measurements for, the iLoud Micro and Vanatoo Encore Plus play the deepest.

thank you so much for taking the time to help me and putting the dimension into perspective.

I will probably buy the iLoud Micro, as I'm not planning to add a sub, so the slightly deeper bass should be a nice addition.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Top Bottom