• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker purchase advice for small room (~2500€)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATC is way overpriced compared to the sophistication of the KEF and Ascend, which are much more modern. Consider a small floorstander with the same footprint as these speakers on stands, like the Focal Aria 926/936.

If you consider the Focals, I'd also suggest also checking out the new Focal Chora 826 towers; they are just $2000 a pair, and I believe they are actually cheaper in Europe. The 806 bookshelf at least measures nearly identical to the Aria 906 equivalent. I imagine the tower would follow suit. Purely conjecture, but it's generally the case.

@jinithin, might be worth considering since you liked the S200 over the S400. Maybe you just prefer the wider directivity - which the Focals have. I'd consider the S400 and R3 more similar than different from my recollection.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you consider the Focals, I'd also suggest also checking out the new Focal Chora 826 towers; they are just $2000 a pair, and I believe they are actually cheaper in Europe. The 806 bookshelf at least measures nearly identical to the Aria 906 equivalent. I imagine the tower would follow suit. Purely conjecture, but it's generally the case.

@jinithin, might be worth considering since you liked the S200 over the S400. Maybe you just prefer the wider directivity - which the Focals have. I'd consider the S400 and R3 more similar than different from my recollection.

I know, but I don't like how slightly more ragged the Chora is despite being a significantly newer speaker. Shows a lack of attention to detail.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, but I don't like how slightly more ragged the Chora is despite being a significantly newer speaker. Shows a lack of attention to detail.

Fair enough, would be curious to see how much it'd make a difference in practice though. With just one set of comparative measurements we cant be sure it's not just unit to unit/measurement variation either.

That said, my guess is the Aria appears to measures slightly cleaner because of the enclosure. I'd guess the crossovers and tweeter are the same, and the woofers seem to have similar performance. The stated specs are identical on FR and sensitivity.

I'm pretty sure all the differences are mostly down to the Arias slightly rounded edges and probably slightly better controlled resonances. Despite its age, one would hope it measures a bit better given it's still the more expensive/higher-end model in the lineup.

Personally though, I wouldn't pay the extra $300 for the Aria given how close the measurements are. But that's in part because I think the Chora is prettier :)I'm a sucker for blue!

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Currently looking at speakers for my new (tiny) room, and was looking for a few suggestions as small rooms are a bit problematic.
My budget is around 2500€, but can spend more if it makes a big difference.
I'd prefer for the speakers to be passive, as I'd hate to buy expensive speakers that will break outside of warranty and become pieces of scrap.
Am mostly listening to electronic music (eg. Aphex Twin, Autechre).
A sub will be purchased as seating position is inside a bass null.

The speakers I'm currently looking at are:
- Buchardt S300
- ATC SCM11
- KEF R3
- Ascend Acoustics 2EX (hard to demo as I'm located in Europe)

The room in question is as said, very small.
Dimensions are 2.68m x 4.5m, and the room has been treated with basstraps, and absorbers/thick curtains at first reflection points.
Absorbers have also been installed on the wall behind the speakers.
Listening position is about ~1.8m (6ft for americans) away from speakers (with the speakers about the same distance away from each other).
Speakers are placed ~45cm from side walls, and ~70cm from the back wall.
Also, there is only one seat in the room, so no need for a super-wide dispersion for multiple listeners.

I've tried the Buchardt S400's in my room, but they did not work at all.
Probably because of the waveguide requiring quite a bit of space to work correctly.
The Buchardt S200's I have sounded way better, but is still missing a bit in the lower-mids.

Thanks.

I would suggest that before investing in new speakers you try everything you can to get the best from your existing ones. That means moving them and your listening chair around, including trying the long wall for the speakers, until you find the best measured position, concentrating on the region of the frequency response (FR) up to 300Hz. It's a lot of work but costs nothing except time and effort. You can measure just one speaker initially to save work, particularly if your room is symmetrical. Once you've found the best location from for one speaker, then measure the other in the opposite position.

Once you've found the best location you can try to improve matters with room treatment, EQ/DSP and subs.

Your bass traps don't look very big and I doubt they go much below 100Hz. There should be some measurements somewhere to tell you about their performance. In my room (of 3.86m x 4.2m x 2.4m high) I used twenty one GIK Soffit Bass Traps (1.2m x 0.4m x0.4m) and there were still issues in the bass region. I used an equaliser to tidy things up. Some will say I've overdone things but I like the result.

My general guidelines:

1. Positioning of speakers and chair
2. Room treatment
3. DSP/EQ

Multiple subs (up to four) can also be used to help improve things both as far as dealing with bass problems in the FR - and indeed some people use these instead of room treatment and positioning for practical reasons - and also for extending the bass response. That may be a better solution in your circumstances. I don't know much about this side of things but I'm sure there are those on here that do.

Top Bottom