• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small room, sofa near rear wall

What works best :

• Nothing at all - buy better cables to improve the sound ;)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Diffuser not absorber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any absorber is better than nothing

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • A deep ‘full range’ absorber or it’s not worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have a small room ( 4x4m ) and for practical reasons my sofa ibacks onto the rear wall so my head is around 0.7m from the wall.

Room is carpeted, lightly furnished with two sofas, there is a 1.8 x 1.2m ceiling cloud in place . We just swapped leather for fabric sofas. Subjectively there are improvements (not measured)

I’ve also popped a PET absorber behind me - it’s 2” thick so not going to do much below 350Hz, but it is light and easy to move in and out of place when listening .

Subjectively again, I think the sound is more focussed and I especially notice that sibilance is more natural and part of the voice , where before is sounded a little detached and distracting.

I need to measure to see what is actually happening, but feel that rear wall treatment may be more beneficial in my room than side wall reflections.

Speakers are Revel F206

Interested in what others do in similar small rooms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom