• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker equivalent to Topping PA5?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve got my audio equipment stack setup set and I’m working on treating my main listening room so I have been turning to looking for new speakers. My current ones are crap. By that I mean they are thin, square edged, veneer peeling off, with cheap plastic surrounds on the drivers and almost no interior damping. But they measure pretty well and with EQ and room treatment very well (for their equivalent price range, about $600 in todays money, but I got them in 93. Pioneer CSM555s).

So I’ve been designing and modeling cabinets and drivers and I really cant do much better without spending a lot more for pretty marginal improvement. So I’m thinking of recabinetting my current drivers, since I’ve learned CAD and have access to CNC machines. That would solve my aesthetic issues with the speakers.

But before going down that route, I was curious to know what high value/low cost options might be out there currently.

Some parameters:

Sensitivity > 86 dB
+- 5dB from 35 HZ to 16 kHZ.
$600 for a pair.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Top Bottom