• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal ST6 or Neumann 120 II?

Bmoze

Forum Donor
Hey everyone. I’d like your advice about a speaker upgrade for my study. My current setup is: Roon Nucleus/Allo Signature Bridge/Sabaj A20d 2022 DAC/Focal Alpha 65 V1 with RSL 10 Mk2 sub. The room is about 12 x 15 feet and my office chair/MLP is 9 feet from the speakers.

I use room equalization. I started with REW but changed to Focus Fidelity, which, for me, is much easier to use.

I’ve had the Focal Alphas for 8, maybe 10 years. I’m ready for a change. I was happy to see the recent reviews here on the Focal Solo 6 ST6 and Neumann 120 IIs, which are the two I’ve been considering the most. Here’s my take on these choices.

Focal ST6
+Measure fairly well
+Larger woofer
+Maybe better choice for 9 ft MLP distance
+Made in France with in-house drivers
+Mine have been reliable
+I actually like how they look
-The measured excess treble energy (but I will equalize to taste)
-More expensive (see below)

Neumann 120II
+Measure really great
+DSP function (but I don’t need it)
+Less expensive
-No plan to buy Neumann sub and mike system
-9 ft MLP distance at max for this model?

Cost:
I can get a pair of demo Focals for $2300, if I act soon. The Neumann’s are $2000.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
最后怎么选的

Translation by Moderator: “How did you choose in the end?”

Please use English going forward. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom